PDA

View Full Version : Deck Chair

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-24-2018, 4:20 PM
First some back story... For years, a dear elderly friend of mine that lived an adventurous life talked about her favorite chair that she has owned for some 50+ years. It was a wood chair she had never seen elsewhere and she described that it was portable. Whenever I saw her, we never thought to look at it because I was busy dealing with other chores for her. (She has been on oxygen and using a walker for years...) One evening while on the phone, she brought up the chair again and wanted to give it to me so I could put it on our deck and use it. She thought I would need to refinish the wood. Okay. Plan set in motion the next time we make the 3 hour drive to see her, I would bring the chair back with me. My LOML and I drove over to do chores and elderly friend tells me the chair is on the old deck that hasn't been used in years. My LOML and I gingerly walk out on rotting deck to discover her prized chair is severely rotted. Elderly friend had not walked out on deck in at least 10 years and was in denial at what she had been looking at. We were instructed to take it and as we try to lift it, it's falling apart in our hands .... along with said elderly friend's heart. We gingerly place the remnants in the truck and there is enough of the wood for me to see what the chair was. I had never seen one, but my LOML had seen one at some point.

I made this on the laser and gave it to my elderly friend. Needless to say she was in shock I was able to re-create a version of her prized chair. I could have designed it several different ways, but I wanted to give it individual boards to make it look as close to her original chair as possible. It was a fun challenge for me to create it. The chair stands about 9" tall and the two pieces are around 10-11" long and 5.5" wide. I used some scrap birch plywood with a coat of ARM-R-SEAL. She can now use this as an easel to hold her ipad.

It looks like it was actually a comfortable chair and I can see why she was so fond of it.

Ryan Mooney
08-24-2018, 4:32 PM
Nice work!

For another take on this check out "Morten Gøttler's Cuban Chair" which has been on my "that would be fun to recreate" list for a long time. I do like your rendition especially how nicely it nests inside itself. His is about 15.35" high at the front of the seat and has perhaps a bit more curve, I think I like the flatter form of the one you did better.

I would be curious if there is any recollection on the provenance of the original. I'm guessing a deck chair of some sort.

Bill George
08-24-2018, 6:45 PM
That would be fun to try full scale on my router. Do you have DXF or other vector files to experiment with?

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-24-2018, 7:05 PM
I started searching online for some history on the chair. Found this pattern link & how to video for a full-size chair.

https://www.skiltools.com/How-To/Pages/Project-Details.aspx?title=Build%20a%20Portable%20Deck%20C hair&type=VIDEO

Mel Fulks
08-24-2018, 7:37 PM
Mike, good work and a great kindness to your friend. And you have proved it's best to not "rearrange the deck chairs".

Ryan Mooney
08-24-2018, 7:44 PM
I started searching online for some history on the chair. Found this pattern link & how to video for a full-size chair.

https://www.skiltools.com/How-To/Pages/Project-Details.aspx?title=Build%20a%20Portable%20Deck%20C hair&type=VIDEO

Thanks Mike.