PDA

View Full Version : OT: Disk labeling.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-24-2005, 1:59 PM
I am hoping to to install Win98SE and WinXP and am wondering about drive labels. The concensus appears to be that Win98SE should be installed first and then WinXp. I am concerned that the Win98SE partition will be labeled the C drive and XP will be labeled the D drive. Xp will be the major OS I use and I would liike for it to be the C drive. What is the advice of experts on the subject? I fit the old definition of an expert. X is an unknown quantity and "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

John Miliunas
11-24-2005, 2:26 PM
Don, it's been a long, lo-o-o-o-o-ong time since I've installed 98 on anything, so take this with a grain of salt. If I recall correctly, 98 has to be installed first. If you have XP on the box already, 98 will see it as a newer OS and will not install. Secondly, I'm pretty sure 98 doesn't give you a choice as to which partition to install to, but rather, defaults to "C", like it or not.

But, the biggest question I have is, why in the World would you want to go ahead and mess up a perfectly good system by putting 98 on it in the first place?:confused: :) Just MHO, of course.:) :cool:

11-24-2005, 5:23 PM
John, it is a pretty trivial reason to most everyone but me. (G)(Blush) I have an old E Games that I really like and it won't play on XP.

Ken Garlock
11-24-2005, 5:27 PM
But, the biggest question I have is, why in the World would you want to go ahead and mess up a perfectly good system by putting 98 on it in the first place?:confused: :) Just MHO, of course.:) :cool:

Here, Here, John.:)

One of the advantages of an NT based system like XP is that it can be installed on any darn drive that your CPU can see. So, I would install that unsupported ancient system(can you still read the install CD:confused: ) and then install XP on the D: drive. Better yet, install XP on a new physical drive that will then become the D: drive. After the XP install, XP will give you an opportunity to boot the old system, or by doing nothing, it will boot XP.

John Miliunas
11-24-2005, 5:47 PM
Here, Here, John.:)

One of the advantages of an NT based system like XP is that it can be installed on any darn drive that your CPU can see. So, I would install that unsupported ancient system(can you still read the install CD:confused: ) and then install XP on the D: drive. Better yet, install XP on a new physical drive that will then become the D: drive. After the XP install, XP will give you an opportunity to boot the old system, or by doing nothing, it will boot XP.

Ken, you're absolutely right but, for whatever reason, Don would like XP to be on the "C" drive. I know that, it doesn't matter where XP ends up, the boot.ini still ends up on "C" and either system is controlled from there.:)

Also, I can't help but wonder: Don, have you tried running your old E games in the "compatibility" mode provided by XP? I've seen some success with this and that would alleviate any dual boot hassles entirely.:) :cool:

Loy Hawes
11-24-2005, 6:20 PM
One solution would be to install a removable drive bay. When you want to run one os or the other just shut down your pc and install the desired drive. The drive bays can be found on ebay and install into a 5.25" slot. You will need an extra tray for the second drive. Check out auction number 8726040864. It comes with a second tray.

John Miliunas
11-24-2005, 6:39 PM
One solution would be to install a removable drive bay. When you want to run one os or the other just shut down your pc and install the desired drive. The drive bays can be found on ebay and install into a 5.25" slot. You will need an extra tray for the second drive. Check out auction number 8726040864. It comes with a second tray.

Loy, great suggestion!!! I did that eons ago when I wanted to run NT4 and test what was the still new 2K. Worked great and no worries about any conflicts and such!:) Now that I think about it, I didn't have multiple machines networked at the time, so I bought yet an additional bay for a spare slot and that's how I did my backups. :) :cool:

11-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Ken, you're absolutely right but, for whatever reason, Don would like XP to be on the "C" drive. I know that, it doesn't matter where XP ends up, the boot.ini still ends up on "C" and either system is controlled from there.:)

Also, I can't help but wonder: Don, have you tried running your old E games in the "compatibility" mode provided by XP? I've seen some success with this and that would alleviate any dual boot hassles entirely.:) :cool:

Yes, John, I tried th compatibility thing but it only listed certain programs which could be run that way and the E Games wasn't among them I didn't see any way to add it. Of course I'm pretty limited in knowledge as well as smarts.

I wanted the OS on C because several time I have added something or tried to change something and remember that the only option given for making the change was the C drive.