PDA

View Full Version : Veritas LA Jack - (new & improved !)

Blair Swanson
08-24-2018, 1:41 AM
The wait is over. My Jack has arrived. I think my friends @ LV#70 in Toronto are as happy for me as I am. :D It's been awhile.
I would firstly like to extend congrats to Rob Lee on the successful changeover to the new in-house roasted maple works for the plane lineup. You hit this one out o' the park pal. Necessity has resulted in something very special here.
Not only did Rob provide insight on this forum regarding this problematic in house adjustment but those of us that had backordered the LA Jack were mailed further explanation of the holdups & updated expected delivery.
Lee Valley comes through with yet more outstanding CS. Thanks again to all who were involved.

Before this tool gets to work I thought it appropriate to share a couple pics while it sparkles. ;)

There has been previous reviewing of this exceptional LA plane so I'll just point out a few things that stand out for me.

The set screws on the lower sides are a great feature to keep the blade aligned snuggly and centred in the mouth while making lateral adjust.

Veritas has reverted to a single full length post for tote securement. Perhaps Rob could chime in on the reasoning. Not sure if the optional totes of the Veritas Custom Planes can be applied in this case.

The lever cap is shaped very well for finger placement while shooting. The mouth stop screw (brass knob) is another great feature for both safeguarding the edge & re-establishing previous setting.

Two pics of the new tote with much improved ergonomics. The previous design had rather flat sides. The new shape is excellent & has changed me over to this *standard* angle from my previously preferred *traditional* angled tote.

This colouring shows a lighter brown due to targeted lighting. The fit & finish is outstanding.

This front knob is perfect for the heft of a Jack plane IMO.

Ready for shooting.

The toe is quite substantial & provides plenty of register. At nearly 6 pounds & 15" length, the momentum created is not something you'll soon forget.

I'll take notes & get back when I"ve become more familiar with this gem.
Thanks again Rob for your due diligence. Your determination & efforts have been rewarded.

Blair.

EDIT: On the subject of shooting, I should like to point out a new Lee Valley product that I saw when picking up my plane.
Veritas has a lovely shooting board that is very impressive. Available in L. & R. handed version. It incorporates the
already existing aluminum track & features a multi purpose, fully adjustable fence mechanism that can be purchased
separately as well. Constructed of Baltic birch ply it is reasonably priced & looks like a keeper to me. The new 40th anniv.
woodworking catalogue is now available & can be viewed online if you can't pick up a hard copy.

Derek Cohen
08-24-2018, 1:52 AM
Blair, I expect that the "single screw" you see in the handle is just the visible part of what is actually a double screw. The new handles use a full length screw plus a stub ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCustomPlanes2_html_6c09849f.jpg

The stub prevents twisting.

Here are the two systems, new on the left (featuring a Custom #4) and old on the right (featuring a BU Jointer) ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCustomPlanes2_html_m69b7b9cc.jpg

And here is the conversion for a BU Smoother ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCustomPlanes2_html_75e4f57a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wojciech Tryc
08-24-2018, 7:08 AM
Blair, I expect that the "single screw" you see in the handle is just the visible part of what is actually a double screw. The new handles use a full length screw plus a stub ...

Derek is correct, i also have a newer version of the BU Jack and both single and double screw tote systems fits perfectly. The torrefied maple tote and front knob are lovely.

J. Greg Jones
08-24-2018, 9:37 AM
I bought my LA Jack years ago, so I'm not asking because I'm in the market for one... However, I am curious-as the single screw totes come in 6 variations, which one comes as standard equipment on the BU Jointer/BU Smoother/BU LA Jack?

Blair Swanson
08-24-2018, 9:39 PM
Derek, Thanks for your post. I was thinking that the one full length *screw* of the traditional angle tote was changed to the 2 full length *screws* of the newer standard tote because the more vertical angle allowed this. But now the standard angle tote has reverted back to the single long screw without that being a necessity as with the lower angled traditional. This facilitates the option of using a traditional angled tote but not sure THAT is the real reason it was done.
B.

Timothy MacMurtrie
08-24-2018, 11:54 PM
Love the set screws for maintaining lateral position ..... it’s a beautiful plane

Aaron Rosenthal
08-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I have a 8 month old torrified tote being replaced on my #4 sized bevel up smoother because it cracked. It was my fault it broke, not Veratas' and I've glued it up until Veritas delivers my replacement. I may also try and find an older tote that has both screw holes to retrofit.

Derek Cohen
08-26-2018, 3:39 AM
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I have a 8 month old torrified tote being replaced on my #4 sized bevel up smoother because it cracked. It was my fault it broke, not Veratas' and I've glued it up until Veritas delivers my replacement. I may also try and find an older tote that has both screw holes to retrofit.

Hi Aaron

I am not sure it you have read my review/article on these handles. It may be helpful if you plan to choose a handle shape. The introduction to the series (of three articles) is here (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCustomPlanes1.html). The article on handles is here (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCustomPlanes3.html).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blair Swanson
08-26-2018, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the links Derek. Good stuff! The new Veritas maple handles have a superb feel. A real pleasure. I look forward to your own assessment at some point.
B.

steven c newman
08-27-2018, 10:14 AM
Handle shape is too much like the later Stanley Handyman planes, for my liking....but, at least these aren't painted a dark blue....

YMMV

Simon MacGowen
08-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Handle shape is too much like the later Stanley Handyman planes, for my liking....but, at least these aren't painted a dark blue....

YMMV

I have used ALL the different handles available from Veritas and of course the Stanley. They ain't make one iota of difference in my work. I don't use a dead grip on a plane handle as some (or too many) of you do. You don't need to if your iron is sharp. So if anyone is complaining about the handle as an issue, check or beef up your sharpening skill first, before changing the handle. Loosen up guys and gals!

Simon

Blair Swanson
08-27-2018, 12:18 PM
I have used ALL the different handles available from Veritas and of course the Stanley. They ain't make one iota of difference in my work. I don't use a dead grip on a plane handle as some (or too many) of you do. You don't need to if your iron is sharp. So if anyone is complaining about the handle as an issue, check or beef up your sharpening skill first, before changing the handle. Loosen up guys and gals!

Simon

Got it. BUT> I used to have a sports car with a wonderfully crafted wooden steering wheel. I can't say that I ever used a *dead grip* on it either. Just the same, the exquisite feel it transferred to my hands made driving a very memorable experience. Seems to me that the Veritas planes are not that different than the said analogy. :cool:
B.
Edit: I should clarify that this applies to the new maple handles.

Aaron Rosenthal
08-27-2018, 7:04 PM
Hi Aaron

I am not sure it you have read my review/article on these handles. It may be helpful if you plan to choose a handle shape. The introduction to the series (of three articles) is here (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCustomPlanes1.html). The article on handles is here (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCustomPlanes3.html).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, thank you for the link.
I'm not sure it's the shape or angle of the tote which is my concern (everyone else, I'm REALLY NOT trying to hijack the thread - just reply)
My tote broke because of a mishap, but it (with the Maple tote) and my new # 5 1/4 just feel "squirrelly" when I'm working. ie: loose.
I've tightened them them, but iduuno. Maybe it's me.

Jim Koepke
08-28-2018, 5:29 PM
My tote broke because of a mishap, but it (with the Maple tote) and my new # 5 1/4 just feel "squirrelly" when I'm working. ie: loose.

Depending on how it is loose a washer under the long screw or a bushing around the short screw may send the squirrels some place else looking for nuts.

jtk

steven c newman
08-28-2018, 11:50 PM
Don't use a "Death Grip", not needed......however, I do like to lay the pinky alongside the tote....helps steady the grip. "Broom-handle" style handles are hard for me to get a grip on, anyway.

Simon MacGowen
08-29-2018, 1:21 AM
Don't use a "Death Grip", not needed......however, I do like to lay the pinky alongside the tote....helps steady the grip. "Broom-handle" style handles are hard for me to get a grip on, anyway.

I think Garrett Hack does that kind of pinky on the side thing too.

Simon

steven c newman
08-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Kind of liking this style of Low Angle Jack.....
Seems to go well with what I already have...
May just find a use, for both styles of Jack planes...
Maybe...