PDA

View Full Version : Our Feline and Canine Friends

Jim Koepke
08-24-2018, 1:41 AM
Many folks who have pets are likely to talk to them at times.

Does anyone else have a cat or dog that gives them a "that ain't gonna happen" look?

George doesn't seem to favor the camera like our former cat Skittles did.

jtk

John K Jordan
08-24-2018, 9:11 AM
Some of my cats are like that most of the time! (One, all the time.) The dogs, never.

The llamas are experts, though - unless I'm carrying food.

Jim Becker
08-24-2018, 9:26 AM
No dogs or cats here...we have birds. But yes..."that look" is a frequent thing.

https://f18tna.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mML9ch6ghL1pprYfG8WhUUUfaMEvFoFvfvO5HB6OuitcDYqM Z4zxvqKWbvG9tPmOmoz4jTWeOw-eisa2xMjdQhx37HnVf0Yfhtf84M4s-ke2SLxRKfxw481AISVTUt0l63YC7n-0C7YXKeVk81ByJ2beECQEh9bVYsIzH3XEJSKT2kkiJ7ePf_5Lk HpWJqef-FmLXdAq_6YSv2s4HDxag3g?width=660&height=638&cropmode=none
Tosca

Curt Harms
08-24-2018, 10:02 AM
We had a blue-eyed chocolate Himalayan. He was a rescue so we didn't know his history but point a camera at him and he'd take off for parts unknown. We got this pic because he didn't know that a phone could also take pictures. Here he is 'helping' his Mom wrap Christmas presents. He was very much Mom's boy, he'd tolerate me reluctantly.

John K Jordan
08-24-2018, 10:48 AM
...we have birds. But yes..."that look" is a frequent thing.

What a great shot! That bird looks like a dinosaur, big enough to "try" to run from. :)

Kev Williams
08-24-2018, 2:00 PM
From many years ago...

http://www.engraver1.com/pictures/rusty.jpg

--Laptop case? You wish...

:D

Jim Becker
08-24-2018, 2:02 PM
What a great shot! That bird looks like a dinosaur, big enough to "try" to run from. :)
Um...birds "are" dinosaurs...direct relatives. :) And Tosca is in charge. Just ask Tosca... ;)

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-24-2018, 2:30 PM
We have a dogs - they don't care about camera. They are "twins" :))), not separable. As usual - small one is the BOSS.

Adam Herman
08-24-2018, 2:45 PM
392178392179392180 Henry, pip and sam, tesla the cat. Henry is 112 lbs pyer mix. pip and sam are cattle dog mixes. we also have 5 chickens.

Arthur Fleming
08-24-2018, 5:12 PM
Seems like we all have our own version of a shop “Snooperviser”

Brett Luna
08-24-2018, 5:48 PM
Seriously?

https://www.brettluna.com/img/s/v-2/p1166692878-4.jpg

John K Jordan
08-24-2018, 6:43 PM
Um...birds "are" dinosaurs...direct relatives. :) And Tosca is in charge. Just ask Tosca... ;)

Yes, of course, but Tosca LOOKs like one! At least, what I imagine one might look like.

Jim Becker
08-24-2018, 8:41 PM
Yes, of course, but Tosca LOOKs like one! At least, what I imagine one might look like.
If you're on FB...you could be getting nearly a daily dose of Tosca who is "world famous". :)

Bryan Lisowski
08-24-2018, 10:07 PM
Jim, really nice looking bird. Do you just let him fly around the house. Currently we have a beagle and a chocolate lab. Both are getting up there in age.

Jim Becker
08-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Jim, really nice looking bird. Do you just let him fly around the house. Currently we have a beagle and a chocolate lab. Both are getting up there in age.
Tosca does not fly unless truly startled by something, such as a hawk cruising by the window. Sammie, our cockatiel "likes" to fly, but we limit that via clipping and "harsh words" for safety reasons. Birds are a long term commitment compared to most "fury" pets outside of large animals like horses. Tosca, for example, is 23 years old and will likely live through at least the 20s into the 40s, but I know of several Senegal parrots who are in their early 50s. Larger parrots can live to 80. So imagine having a toddler for that long...birds have the emotional needs and communication skills of a 3-4 year old human toddler. :) :D

Tom M King
08-25-2018, 7:12 PM
"What chew mean there's no smoking in heah"

http://starbornhavanese.com/images/DSCN7905.JPG

Larry Frank
08-25-2018, 7:36 PM
I do not know exactly how but my dog knows when I am having pain issues. I suffer from chronic back pain and at times almost unbearable. There are times when the meds are not enough. Having a loving dog on my lap helps.

Can not get pic inserted for some reason but is the same as my avatar. She is a long haired miniature Dachshund. She understands my back problems as she had a badly herniated disk that paralyzed her back half. She made an almost complete recovery thanks to the great vets at Purdue who saved her.

Jim Koepke
08-25-2018, 8:06 PM
I do not know exactly how but my dog knows when I am having pain issues. I suffer from chronic back pain and at times almost unbearable. There are times when the meds are not enough. Having a loving dog on my lap helps.

For some reason your attachment isn't working. The format looks correct in the reply with quote.

jtk

Jim Becker
08-25-2018, 8:16 PM

Larry, so many animals seem to be very empathetic toward their human partners. 'Glad you get to experience that! (grew up with Bassetts in the house)

Mike Cutler
08-25-2018, 8:30 PM
Dogs can be very expressive, and can definitely communicate!

A long time ago I was hunting with my first Vizlsa, Boone, he was about 3 at the time. Well, he had pinned two pheasants in place and was on point waiting for me. I walked in expecting one bird, not two, and I missed both. That dog, turned on point, looked over his shoulder at me, and walked away. Walked! I stood there apologizing to the dog for missing.
He let me off the hook though, and re-pinned both birds on point. After that, we were good.

Bryan Lisowski
08-25-2018, 8:49 PM
Tosca does not fly unless truly startled by something, such as a hawk cruising by the window. Sammie, our cockatiel "likes" to fly, but we limit that via clipping and "harsh words" for safety reasons. Birds are a long term commitment compared to most "fury" pets outside of large animals like horses. Tosca, for example, is 23 years old and will likely live through at least the 20s into the 40s, but I know of several Senegal parrots who are in their early 50s. Larger parrots can live to 80. So imagine having a toddler for that long...birds have the emotional needs and communication skills of a 3-4 year old human toddler. :) :D

Jim, we watched a neighbors bird growing up and after that it was a future pet that was quickly removed from the list. However if Tosca doesn't fly, how does he get around the house? Or does he just ask you to take him where he needs to go?

Jim Becker
08-26-2018, 8:37 AM
Jim, we watched a neighbors bird growing up and after that it was a future pet that was quickly removed from the list. However if Tosca doesn't fly, how does he get around the house? Or does he just ask you to take him where he needs to go?
Tosca doesn't get around the house unless it's one of us carrying Tosca. :) That's on purpose. Our birds are not allowed on the floor and not allowed unsupervised on any furniture, etc. Those beaks are, um...kinda like an out of balance router swinging a big bit while you twirl them in a circle on the cord. :) :D Tosca's favorite pasttime is shredding things and we provide for plenty of that activity on top of the cage. The cages are open during the day when someone is at home, so the birds are not totally confined. Some folks do permit/encourage flying, but we do not. We lost one cockatiel out the door a few years ago and it was a horribly painful thing...

Chris Parks
08-27-2018, 2:12 AM
Dogs do what they are told, cats take a message and if you are lucky get back to you.

Curt Harms
08-27-2018, 5:28 AM
Dogs do what they are told, cats take a message and if you are lucky get back to you.

Depends on the cat. We have 3, 2 "act like cats" but the 3rd a Maine Coon (we think) has some dog in her. We take her out like a dog and she knows the property boundaries and will stay within them. She still needs to be watched like any other 2 year old but will come back into the house when told.