PDA

View Full Version : Source for 1.25 x 8 tpi nuts

Darryl Schilling
08-22-2018, 6:12 AM
Does anyone have a source to obtain 1.25 x 8 tpi nuts.. Google has failed me. TIA

Perry Hilbert Jr
08-22-2018, 6:23 AM
Gamut has them, aint cheap. https://www.gamut.com/p/heavy-hex-nut-steel-plain-grade-2h-material-grade-1-1-4-8-thread-size-MjU0MDk=

Fastenal has them too in the heavy hex nut class.

Eugene Dixon
08-22-2018, 7:17 AM
McMaster Carr has them. You might want to get some large machine washers at the same time. Take you about an hour to drill mounting holes in the washers (after welding them to the nuts). At least that is what it took me to do for 10 of them.

OBTW, they will arrive...tomorrow if you order early today.

Jim Barkelew
08-22-2018, 7:42 AM
What Eugene said. I also looked at the washer size and got larger ones than 1.25" to get a bigger face plate. As long as there is room to weld they work. I also made some for 1"-8 and 3/4"-10 threads to cover all the bases.

Eugene Dixon
08-25-2018, 8:00 AM
I just tacked the washers to the nuts at the corners, OBTW, to minimize warping the washers. If i use them for vacuum chucking, I'll caulk the seam

JohnC Lucas
08-25-2018, 9:15 AM
Funny story to go along with this thread. I had a friend who wanted some 1" nuts and washers to make his own faceplates and also wanted a 3 foot piece of 1" 8TPI althread. I needed some more 1 1/4" nuts so I went to my local place to buy them. While there I had been thinking about making some things from 1 1/4" x8TPI allthread. I asked about the 1" stuff since i needed that for my friend and got prices. Then I asked about the 1 1/4" nuts and they were about triple what the 1" ones were but not bad so I told him to get me a dozen and also asked him to order the 1 1/4" all thread. I didn't ask the price. I mean the 1" stuff was only about $8. Well when it came in I about hit the floor. The 1 1/4" rod was $40, total bill over $100. I acted like I spend that kind of money all the time and just wrote the guy a check while thinking how am I going to pay for my rent. Anyway it worked out in the long run. I've used both a fair amount and still have almost a foot of the all thread left to play with.

Eugene Dixon
08-25-2018, 12:59 PM
1-1/4x8 is not a common thread. Available, not common.

Perry Hilbert Jr
08-25-2018, 6:11 PM
1-1/4 x 8 is a standard UNR thread in the USA. Most folks think of UNC and UNF, but there are other ASME standard threads with other threading specs, UNS (special), UNEF (extra fine), UNM (miniature in decimal millitmeter sizes) , UNR, etc.

https://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/unified-special-r-thread.html

Roger Davis TN
08-26-2018, 12:39 AM
Hey guys, could anyone post pictures. I do not understand what you are doing. Thanks, Roger Davis.