PDA

View Full Version : New Veritas & Other Planes

Hilton Ralphs
08-22-2018, 5:50 AM
Couple of good looking planes;

Veritas® Pocket Plane
Web link (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=76879&cat=1,230,41182,48942)

Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Veritas® Pocket Plane
Web Link (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=76910&cat=1,230,41182,48942)

Hong Kong-Style Trim Planes
Web Link (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=76823&cat=1,230,41182,46334)

Rabbet Plane
Web Link (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=76822&cat=1,230,41182,46334)

Stewie Simpson
08-22-2018, 6:24 AM
Hilton; have a read of this. https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/ebony-dark-outlook-dark-woods/

Hilton Ralphs
08-22-2018, 6:53 AM
Hilton; have a read of this. https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/ebony-dark-outlook-dark-woods/

Yep, I wonder where those Hong Kong style planes are made.

Jessica de Boer
08-22-2018, 7:03 AM
Ordered the limited edition pocket plane.

Derek Cohen
08-22-2018, 8:32 AM
I have had the Veritas Pocket Plane for a while (for pre-production evaluation). It is a very comfortable plane in the hand. The mouth is tight and it takes a fine shaving.

Competition for the Pocket Plane comes from the LN Violin Maker's plane, which is about the same size. I purchased one a year ago, and felt that the mouth needed to be closed up (which I did with brass shim). Also a nice plane. Of the two, the Veritas gets the nod for ergonomics and PM-V11 steel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Malcolm Schweizer
08-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Wow. That limited edition pocket plane is much like the NX60 that I have drooled over. I get these bonuses now and then, and when I do I have a thing where I buy something totally frivolous. The NX60 has always been on my list of frivolous purchases, but I've yet to pull the trigger. I think it's a sexy plane, and also it looks like it would really fit the hand well. It's something I don't really need, but I would like to have. Something else always comes up and the money goes there.

The stainless and nickel 40th anniversary plane is the perfect boatbuilding plane, because much of that work is done outside, and we frequently get unexpected showers where I live. A tool always ends up mistakenly left out. It's also high humidity here. I am always attracted to the bronze or stainless options for this reason. I may have to pull the trigger on that one. In fact... I have a cart already open, so I guess I might as well.

Hilton, you are now on the list of people who are going to have to chip in to help pay my divorce fees when Amy finds out how much I really spent on these tools. I came here just to gain a few new tips on woodworking, and here you have to post this and put my marriage at risk. It's your fault. (of course I'm kidding- thanks for the tip)

Hasin Haroon
08-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Ugh, I saw that pocket plane this morning. Putting it in my cart now while I wonder why I'm like this.

J. Greg Jones
08-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately, the NX60 has not been made for several years now. While it is still in the online catalog and is listed as temporarily unavailable, one has to wonder if they will ever reappear. It was on my list also, but last year I finally gave up and bought the DX60. That pocket plane appeals to me the same way!

Malcolm Schweizer
08-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Ugh, I saw that pocket plane this morning. Putting it in my cart now while I wonder why I'm like this.

Welcome to the club. You are not alone. I just checked out. Is there a help group for people with our problem?

Rob Lee
08-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Unfortunately, the NX60 has not been made for several years now. While it is still in the online catalog and is listed as temporarily unavailable, one has to wonder if they will ever reappear. It was on my list also, but last year I finally gave up and bought the DX60. That pocket plane appeals to me the same way!

Hi -

Just put a batch (pre-production) through the shop in the last few weeks - none made it out....as the polishing was not up to snuff....

We're getting there.....but slowly.

Cheers -

Rob

Simon MacGowen
08-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Hilton, you are now on the list of people who are going to have to chip in to help pay my divorce fees when Amy finds out how much I really spent on these tools. I came here just to gain a few new tips on woodworking, and here you have to post this and put my marriage at risk. It's your fault. (of course I'm kidding- thanks for the tip)

The bright side to this is that ya know ya would be keeping the plane in any divorce settlement unless the other party is also a woodworker!

Simon

Malcolm Schweizer
08-22-2018, 11:46 AM
Hi -

Just put a batch (pre-production) through the shop in the last few weeks - none made it out....as the polishing was not up to snuff....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, you are getting 80% of the bill when the love of my life ups and leaves me.

Hasin Haroon
08-22-2018, 11:46 AM
So should we stay ready to jump on these NX60 seconds during the cyber monday sale, or is this too special of a plane to come as a second? :)

Hasin Haroon
08-22-2018, 11:47 AM
"Hi, I'm Hasin and I'm an addict. I joined this group as I value my relationship with my wife and do not want to be kicked out."

Rob Lee
08-22-2018, 12:01 PM
So should we stay ready to jump on these NX60 seconds during the cyber monday sale, or is this too special of a plane to come as a second? :)

This one - we don't sell seconds of....!

ouch.

Simon MacGowen
08-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Hi -

Cheers -

Rob

Now, that is the worst bit of information found in this whole thread!:D

Simon

Hasin Haroon
08-22-2018, 12:40 PM
'twas as I thought! Probably for the best. I have the DX60, so I don't need the NX, but i doubt I could resist a good deal on one.

Jessica de Boer
08-22-2018, 1:07 PM

I've read the same thing a couple of years ago. I still don't get why you chose a material that's clearly so incredibly difficult to work with instead of stainless steel. From one business owner to another, it makes absolutely no sense to put that much time in a product that may never see the light of day again.

William Adams
08-22-2018, 1:37 PM
FWIW, I really appreciate the nickel plating and love the aesthetic of it --- it would probably be more comfortable to use than the tiny plane which came w/ my Chopstick Master from Bridge City Tools, so I'm really, really tempted.

J. Greg Jones
08-22-2018, 1:41 PM
Busy week for Lee Valley-more new stuff just popped up, including a new shooting board and a shooting board fence.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-22-2018, 1:55 PM
Busy week for Lee Valley-more new stuff just popped up, including a new shooting board and a shooting board fence.

Greg is on the list of people that will be required to find my divorce.

J. Greg Jones
08-22-2018, 1:58 PM
Greg is on the list of people that will be required to find my divorce.
Me! I blame Rob! Perhaps we can get a group rate on a divorce attorney? :)

Brian Nguyen
08-22-2018, 4:10 PM
I saw Rob Lee's note on the NX possibly being available for sale soon, got excited, and immediately Googled "how much money can i make by selling blood?"

Simon MacGowen
08-22-2018, 4:34 PM
I saw Rob Lee's note on the NX possibly being available for sale soon, got excited, and immediately Googled "how much money can i make by selling blood?"

We might be lucky if he decides to run another Free Tool give-away!:p

Simon

Rob Lee
08-22-2018, 4:36 PM

Yes - releasing the new catalog this week!

Lots of new stuff to be discovered yet..... :)

Rob Lee
08-22-2018, 4:40 PM
I've read the same thing a couple of years ago. I still don't get why you chose a material that's clearly so incredibly difficult to work with instead of stainless steel. From one business owner to another, it makes absolutely no sense to put that much time in a product that may never see the light of day again.

If you don't try new things, you don't learn new things.....

The material is a good material - it's the handwork involved with polishing that gives fits. As an aside, this October will make ten years since we released that plane. I've had one sitting outside on a windowsill at home since then.....

Will be time to clean it up (it's a chocolate brown color (surface iron)) and see what it looks like. Will have to video tape that..... hope it works out!!

J. Greg Jones
08-22-2018, 4:46 PM

I expect so. Now that my order for the anniversary pocket plane has shipped, you can go ahead and re-release the anniversary marking gauge! Might as well get me to place two orders in the same week! Sincerely though, thanks for everything you do Rob-you are the best!

Jessica de Boer
08-22-2018, 4:48 PM
I saw Rob Lee's note on the NX possibly being available for sale soon

Veritas customer service said the same thing to me about 4 or 5 years ago. Let's be honest here people, at this point it's beyond ridiculous. If anyone really thinks it will ever be for sale again you must also believe in leprechauns. Here's what it says on the Lee Valley page: "Due to a manufacturing delay on the body of the NX60 Block Plane, these products are temporarily unavailable." A delay and temporarily suggest a relatively short period of time. They've been dangling this carrot in front of people's noses for years and it's completely dishonest. Don't get me wrong, I love my Veritas planes but the right thing for them to do would be to completely remove it from their website until they actually reach the point they can reliably produce it so that it can be sold.

Hasin Haroon
08-22-2018, 4:53 PM
Jessica, if it bothers you, don't visit the webpage for the NX60. Live and let live.

It is clearly not dishonest as Rob mentioned they tried producing another batch recently. No one is being harmed by the existence of the NX60 on their catalogues, and if anything, it teaches the rest of us a skill we could do well to learn - wait to purchase tools :).

Jessica de Boer
08-22-2018, 5:02 PM
Calling it a temporary delay for several years is very dishonest. If I had problems for several years to produce a chair in large batches for example, I wouldn't let people think it's going to be available again soon. I would remove all mention of it. That's being honest. This isn't. Intent is not the same as a real world result.

Simon MacGowen
08-22-2018, 5:03 PM
Here's what it says on the Lee Valley page: "Due to a manufacturing delay on the body of the NX60 Block Plane, these products are temporarily unavailable." A delay and temporarily suggest a relatively short period of time. They've been dangling this carrot in front of people's noses for years and it's completely dishonest.

While I agree that the page could be re-worded better, if not temporarily removed, after such a long delay, I don't think dishonesty and dangling a carrot have anything to do with it. In fact, as your post here shows (I remember someone else had fumed about the same thing (not sure if on this forum or somewhere else)), there is little benefit of hanging a rotten carrot if that was ever the intention. Lee Valley knows better than that, and little gimmicks have never been their style of doing business as everyone has witnessed for 40 years.

Simon

Pete Taran
08-22-2018, 5:04 PM
I think it will be for sale again. I also believe in Leprechauns, Chupacabra, Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. Your point? Product development takes time, and when you are a small shop with competing demands, some projects stay on the back burner until the time is right.

Rob Lee
08-22-2018, 7:38 PM
Calling it a temporary delay for several years is very dishonest. If I had problems for several years to produce a chair in large batches for example, I wouldn't let people think it's going to be available again soon. I would remove all mention of it. That's being honest. This isn't. Intent is not the same as a real world result.

Hi Jessica -

I can certainly see your perspective - the wording is sloppy, and there are a number of reasons why it would not have been addressed - but dishonesty is not one of them.

We do leave obsolete or discontinued products up on the web for a number of years, so customers can still access replacement parts and instructions. Normally they do this by searching for the product. The plane itself has not been promoted, or offered for sale. There has been every intent to remanufacture it, and we continue to work on it.

I would have the message changed, but it is actually accurate now.....

Sincerely,

Rob Lee

Peter Christensen
08-22-2018, 10:28 PM
I planted the seed of getting the Anniversary Plane now before it’s gone for my Christmas gift but my wife wasn’t buying into that logic yet. Even dangled the $25 gift card I have to sweeten the deal. Still wouldn’t bite. She’ll go for it eventually.....I hope. She bought the NX60 for me when I didn’t expect it so this may happen.

Rob how many of the shiney little beasties did you make for the 40’th?

john zulu
08-23-2018, 3:45 AM
Hi -

Cheers -

Rob

Rob is the NX60 still nickel plated? Would like the whole thing to be stainless if it is possible.

john zulu
08-23-2018, 3:47 AM

The shooting fence is a nice addition there.

J. Greg Jones
08-23-2018, 5:28 AM
Rob is the NX60 still nickel plated? Would like the whole thing to be stainless if it is possible.
I don't believe the NX60 was ever nickel plated. It is (was) ductile iron containing a high nickel content.

Rob Lee
08-23-2018, 9:12 AM
(snip)

Hi Peter -

They are still running right now - so no real idea just yet. We are not numbering them, and plan to supply for at least several months. The plane is a really good value, so we want to ensure that people who want one, can get one.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
08-23-2018, 9:20 AM

Hi John -

The NX60 is a nickel resist ductile cast iron - a very high nickel content, which makes it a bit harder to machine and polish. We lost our first supplier, and it has taken a long time to redo the tooling, and get new castings. Believe it or not - there's no line-up of foundries eager to supply a few hundred castings at a time.... :rolleyes: .

Nickel resist ductile will rust - but it's only a very light oxidation - it does not appear to pit. I guess I'll find out when I try top clean up the plane that's been outside for 10 years...!

Stainless Steel has it's own challenges (we have made planes in stainless before), We're a lot more likely to turn stainless than machine it. The lever cap wheel and front knob are both Stainless on the NX60.

Cheers -

Rob

john zulu
08-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Hi John -

The NX60 is a nickel resist ductile cast iron - a very high nickel content, which makes it a bit harder to machine and polish. We lost our first supplier, and it has taken a long time to redo the tooling, and get new castings. Believe it or not - there's no line-up of foundries eager to supply a few hundred castings at a time.... :rolleyes: .

Nickel resist ductile will rust - but it's only a very light oxidation - it does not appear to pit. I guess I'll find out when I try top clean up the plane that's been outside for 10 years...!

Stainless Steel has it's own challenges (we have made planes in stainless before), We're a lot more likely to turn stainless than machine it. The lever cap wheel and front knob are both Stainless on the NX60.

Cheers -

Rob

Okay.... I think I will save for one. Already have DX60 and it is a really nice plane as it is.

Peter Christensen
08-23-2018, 11:55 AM
Hi Peter -

They are still running right now - so no real idea just yet. We are not numbering them, and plan to supply for at least several months. The plane is a really good value, so we want to ensure that people who want one, can get one.

Cheers -

Rob

Thank you.

Peter Christensen
08-23-2018, 3:56 PM
I planted the seed of getting the Anniversary Plane now before it’s gone for my Christmas gift but my wife wasn’t buying into that logic yet. Even dangled the $25 gift card I have to sweeten the deal. Still wouldn’t bite. She’ll go for it eventually.....I hope. She bought the NX60 for me when I didn’t expect it so this may happen.

I was out in the shop slapping together a planter box from old crate wood and Marla came in and said she ordered the plane! :eek: She is off to get some groceries and pick up the new toy. :D :D :D

I have a great wife!

Hilton Ralphs
08-23-2018, 4:22 PM
I was out in the shop slapping together a planter box from old crate wood and Marla came in and said she ordered the plane! :eek: She is off to get some groceries and pick up the new toy. :D :D :D

I have a great wife!

Awesome! Tell her she can stay.

Jessica de Boer
08-23-2018, 5:24 PM
There's just one plane missing from the Veritas assortment and that's a number 3. I don't get why they never made it because it's such a nice size to use.

Simon MacGowen
08-23-2018, 5:28 PM
There's just one plane missing from the Veritas assortment and that's a number 3. I don't get why they never made it because it's such a nice size to use.

Small bevel up smooth plane by Veritas is 9" long same as the #3.

Simon

glenn bradley
08-23-2018, 5:29 PM
We do leave obsolete or discontinued products up on the web for a number of years, so customers can still access replacement parts and instructions. Normally they do this by searching for the product.

And thank you so much for doing so. This ha been helpful to me many times.

P.s. A pox upon you Hilton for bringing this little plane to my attention!!!!

The shooting fence is a nice addition there.

AAARGHH!!! Stop it!!!!

Jessica de Boer
08-23-2018, 6:05 PM
I've used the small bevel up plane and I didn't like it. Nothing beats a bevel down plane with the cap iron set correctly to plane difficult wood.

Peter Christensen
08-23-2018, 6:14 PM

I always thought a number 1 would be nice. Not so much because it is needed but because they can. :)

Peter Christensen
08-23-2018, 6:31 PM
They are getting to know one another.

Shane MacMillan
08-23-2018, 7:27 PM
I'm waiting for the detail chisels to get back in stock. Also looking for a 3/4 and 1" and those keep getting moved out. :(

Pete Taran
08-24-2018, 9:45 AM
Jessica writes:

I've used the small bevel up plane and I didn't like it. Nothing beats a bevel down plane with the cap iron set correctly to plane difficult wood.

Really? Seems to me that nearly 150 years of block plane creation and refinement state otherwise. That's the reason they were created, and also the reason that their larger cousins have found such favor today, that is their ability to plane difficult woods. Now, if you want to throw a higher angle frog into the mix, in an infill with a tight mouth, then maybe I could buy into that notion, but to say that bevel up planes are inferior to bevel down planes for planing difficult woods flies in the face of 150 years of plane development and evolution.

What leads you to come to this conclusion in your personal use of bevel up planes?

Warren Mickley
08-24-2018, 10:19 AM

I could not agree more. I grew up using a block plane but stopped using it altogether when I got comfortable with the double iron. That was 1976.

Block planes were designed for carpenters to carry in their aprons or belts.

Jessica de Boer
08-24-2018, 11:09 AM
What leads you to come to this conclusion in your personal use of bevel up planes?

Let me put it another way. Nothing beats a bevel down plane for ease of planing, at least not for me. I don't have to worry about the bevel angle or the mouth opening. I just set the cap iron correctly and off I go. Another big plus for me is that I can easily adjust the depth on the fly with one finger. These are the reasons why a bevel down plane is superior for me. I still won't like a bevel up smoother even if the whole world likes them.

Pete Taran
08-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Jessica,

Thanks. Was just trying to understand if it was personal preference on your part, or some difficulty in the design of BU up planes that I was not aware of. Appreciate the clarification.

Simon MacGowen
08-24-2018, 3:04 PM
It is really a personal preference thing when it comes to BD and BU. I have a #4 and the rest BUs which are also my go to planes, some fitted with a 50* blade (62* cutting angle) when needed for reverse grain wood. With well behaving wood, the BUs are used. Frankly, whether it is 45* or 62*, they are harder to push than 37*. I know someone who lives with shooting endgrain occasionally using a BD.

When I fit inset doors or chamfer edges, I prefer a block plane, or when I work with short members or inlay work.

Simon

Dennis Peterson
08-24-2018, 7:04 PM
Rob, needed a small pocket plane and was ready to get the LN violin plane and then 2 days ago saw the 40th anniversary pocket and could not resist, and because I will be using it outside the stainless Steel sealed the deal, now on its way, can't wait.
Hope it works as good as it looks.
Dennis.

Dennis Peterson
08-24-2018, 7:16 PM
Hey, Jessica does anyone make a STEEL small pocked plane the size of the 40th anniv. plane with BD.?
Dennis

Stewie Simpson
08-24-2018, 8:42 PM
I could not agree more. I grew up using a block plane but stopped using it altogether when I got comfortable with the double iron. That was 1976.

Block planes were designed for carpenters to carry in their aprons or belts.

https://workingbyhand.wordpress.com/2014/04/09/a-history-of-early-block-planes/

Simon MacGowen
08-24-2018, 9:12 PM
[/B]
https://workingbyhand.wordpress.com/2014/04/09/a-history-of-early-block-planes/

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=46791&cat=1,41182,41189,46791

Simon

Frederick Skelly
08-25-2018, 8:26 AM
I always thought a number 1 would be nice. Not so much because it is needed but because they can. :)

Peter - I bought a Wood River #1 from Woodccraft for around $100. (I knew I'd never get a Stanley.) I use it on small items - sometimes it's preferable to a block plane. It's almost exactly the size of my LN102.
Fred

Jessica de Boer
08-25-2018, 12:13 PM
I know that workshop heaven in the UK sells a Quangsheng number 1 but they don't ship to north America.
https://www.workshopheaven.com/quangsheng-no-1-bailey-pattern-smoothing-plane.html

Woodcraft also sells a number one. I believe it's also made by Quangsheng. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-no-1-bench-hand-plane-v3?via=573621f469702d06760016cd%2C57641c7e69702d3b aa000a33%2C57641c8769702d3baa000a34

Frederick Skelly
08-25-2018, 1:20 PM
I know that workshop heaven in the UK sells a Quangsheng number 1 but they don't ship to north America.
https://www.workshopheaven.com/quangsheng-no-1-bailey-pattern-smoothing-plane.html

Woodcraft also sells a number one. I believe it's also made by Quangsheng. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-no-1-bench-hand-plane-v3?via=573621f469702d06760016cd%2C57641c7e69702d3b aa000a33%2C57641c8769702d3baa000a34

Yup. That's the one I bought. :)

Jim Koepke
08-25-2018, 2:17 PM

My #1 is from Lie Nielsen and has, at times, been the best plane for the job.

For me, keeping a bunch of different blades for a bevel up plane is more of a hassle than having a BD plane with a chip breaker. In a few cases my bevel up planes have lifted some big hunks of wood. Mostly it is from some of the squirrel grain pine that is common here in the Pacific Northwest.

There's just one plane missing from the Veritas assortment and that's a number 3

It is one of my often used sizes. This does seem like a natural for modern manufacturing as the #3 isn't a common find on the old tool market.

jtk

Stewie Simpson
08-25-2018, 10:15 PM
Are there others out there that favor a light camber on their block plane irons.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/shavings/DSC_0129_zpsquazvpje.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/shavings/DSC_0129_zpsquazvpje.jpg.html)

Warren Mickley
08-26-2018, 8:01 AM
I can't imagine someone wanting to surface a board with a little block plane like that. It makes my fingers hurt just to think about working like that. Surely not for any extended amount of work. We have bench planes. They are designed with that kind of work in mind.

Stewie Simpson
08-26-2018, 8:29 AM
Then you might prefer this image Warren; a wooden bodied high angle smoothing plane. Another pet hate of yours.

Best regards; Stewie.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/shavings/DSC_0128_zpsn9kprdw3.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/shavings/DSC_0128_zpsn9kprdw3.jpg.html)

Bill Houghton
08-26-2018, 10:27 AM
Me! I blame Rob! Perhaps we can get a group rate on a divorce attorney? :)

Maybe it could become a catalog item; easy to find that way - I mean, you've already got the website bookmarked - and we can be confident that Rob would select only the best attorneys.

Simon MacGowen
08-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Maybe it could become a catalog item; easy to find that way - I mean, you've already got the website bookmarked - and we can be confident that Rob would select only the best attorneys.

...only the best attorneys with stellar customer service records like his.

Simon

Blair Swanson
08-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Are there others out there that favor a light camber on their block plane irons.

Slight camber w/radiused corners on a 45º cut angle for appropriate smoothing & flushing. Straight edge on 37º cut angle for shooting small stuff & anything within the width of the blade.

I can't imagine someone wanting to surface a board with a little block plane like that. It makes my fingers hurt just to think about working like that. Surely not for any extended amount of work. We have bench planes. They are designed with that kind of work in mind.
THIS:
:D

lowell holmes
08-26-2018, 11:15 AM
I wish you guys would quit posting gloats about buying their tools.
Rob Lee has enough of my money all ready. :)

Jessica de Boer
08-26-2018, 11:32 AM
THIS:
:D

Is that a new finish on the lever cap? It looks like it's also powder coated like the rest of the plane. Mine has a glossy paint on it.

Blair Swanson
08-26-2018, 12:08 PM
Is that a new finish on the lever cap? It looks like it's also powder coated like the rest of the plane. Mine has a glossy paint on it.
It has a textured / pebbled finish like the body of the plane & the other Veritas plane lever caps.. Not sure when that began.
B.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-27-2018, 8:52 AM
My 40th anniversary plane arrived today and it’s great. It has a large squirrel tail type cap iron that makes it easy to hold in your hand. The ion is around an inch wide. Mouth is very tight. This is perfect for tuning 1/4” strips on strip-built boats and surfboards. A few pics with my glasses for size reference. Note: I have large hands.

Rob Lee
08-27-2018, 1:20 PM

Hi Stewie,

Took this long to get an answer - but the wood is not ebony, but "leadwood". We'll be correcting the web page!

Cheers -

Rob

Stewie Simpson
08-27-2018, 6:59 PM
Thank Rob. Appreciate the feedback.

regards Stewie;

john zulu
08-28-2018, 9:25 AM
Guys. Slow down the purchase! The pocket plane is out of stock!
Anyone can give a review?

Malcolm Schweizer
08-28-2018, 9:46 AM
Anyone can give a review?

I posted some pics to this thread earlier. I build strip-built wood boats and I have tried a LOT of small planes. This one is tops. It fits the hand very well. Keep in mind, the iron is only 3/4” wide and so this does not replace your standard sized block plane, but it is perfect for smaller tasks. For strip built boats you use strips 1/4 to 1/2” wide, so this is perfect for that task. There are many little tasks it could be used for.

The iron is tiny, and tapers to the back. It will be easy to flatten for sure. I doubt it will fit in a honing jig without the small blade adapter. The adjuster is a Norris style and works very well.

Not much else to say. I bought the stainless one and it is well machined.

john zulu
08-28-2018, 9:52 AM
I posted some pics to this thread earlier. I build strip-built wood boats and I have tried a LOT of small planes. This one is tops. It fits the hand very well. Keep in mind, the iron is only 3/4” wide and so this does not replace your standard sized block plane, but it is perfect for smaller tasks. For strip built boats you use strips 1/4 to 1/2” wide, so this is perfect for that task. There are many little tasks it could be used for.

The iron is tiny, and tapers to the back. It will be easy to flatten for sure. I doubt it will fit in a honing jig without the small blade adapter. The adjuster is a Norris style and works very well.

Not much else to say. I bought the stainless one and it is well machined.

Hmmm. Perhaps I need to place it in the wishlist then. The fence is out of stock currently. With the upcoming Nx60....
Oh the pain with choices!

John Patric
09-03-2018, 11:43 AM

I have just ordered the 40 Ann version, and I blame Malcolm, people should not be allowed to post pictures!

David Bassett
09-03-2018, 11:55 AM
I have just ordered the 40 Ann version, and I blame Malcolm, people should not be allowed to post pictures!

Like you wouldn't have noticed it in a flyer or the website anyway. :)

(Resisting... But Free S/H!)

Peter Christensen
09-03-2018, 12:58 PM
I check the What's New pretty much every day just so I don't miss out. Today there's a new beam compass.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=76614&cat=51&ap=1

John Patric
09-03-2018, 4:02 PM
Like you wouldn't have noticed it in a flyer or the website anyway. :)

For some strange reason (also known as impatience) I could not find the anniversary version on the website, it was Malcolm's pics that made me want one. I eventually found it by searching for pocket plane. I had to find it on the website to order it.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-08-2018, 4:59 PM
I check the What's New pretty much every day just so I don't miss out. Today there's a new beam compass.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=76614&cat=51&ap=1

Oh man. I wish you hadn't told me.

Matt Lau
09-15-2018, 11:02 PM

Jessica,

Try the Small BU smoother.
It's a beauty for nice, effortless smoothing.

If you want a BD version, you could always get a Stanley...lap it...and add a nicer blade.
Or get a LN.

note: I actually don't have a steel bodied bevel down smoother...maybe I'll get one someday.

Matt Lau
09-15-2018, 11:05 PM
I finally unboxed my 40th anniversary pocket plane...it's a beauty!

At first, I was a bit disappointed that adjusting the blade extender knob runs right into the cap.
However, then I realized that the plane's size puts in some limitations on knob placement.

I have a feeling that this will work excellently well.

Besides...Derek's never really been wrong about his tool assessment.

Jessica de Boer
09-16-2018, 3:51 AM
Jessica,

Try the Small BU smoother.
It's a beauty for nice, effortless smoothing.

If you want a BD version, you could always get a Stanley...lap it...and add a nicer blade.
Or get a LN.

note: I actually don't have a steel bodied bevel down smoother...maybe I'll get one someday.

I actually just bought an old Record #3 made in 1956 and in very good condition from a Dutch second hand tool dealer to replace my Stanley #3. I used to have a Record #3 from the early 50's that was stolen (so I bought the Stanley) and I preferred it over the Stanley as I thought the body and frog were better made. It was also a bit heavier and that added some welcome extra mass to smoothing work. The blade of this Record is almost used though up so I ordered a Veritas replacement blade in PM-V11 steel.

John Patric
10-01-2018, 6:28 AM
Mon rabot de poche est arrivé. Sorry couldn't resist, it is the first time I have received Veritas packaging with French labeling.

On order I was told shipping 28 Sep, then I got an email advising shipping date 5 Nov, then on Thursday (27 Sep) it shipped with a PM-V11 as well.

It sure is pretty.

Rob Lee
10-01-2018, 7:53 AM
Mon rabot de poche est arrivé. Sorry couldn't resist, it is the first time I have received Veritas packaging with French labeling.

On order I was told shipping 28 Sep, then I got an email advising shipping date 5 Nov, then on Thursday (27 Sep) it shipped with a PM-V11 as well.

It sure is pretty.

Vous êtes très observant M Patric!

Salut,

Rob
(À Laval, en traîne de préparer pour l’ouvert de notre premier magasin au Québec )

Matt Lau
10-03-2018, 12:50 AM
After a draining day (2 patients with snapped teeth!), I finally put my shiny 40th anniversary plane to use...on a spoon, of all things.

It's pure happiness.
I might order another one.

Also, Jessica, I'm glad to see a female neanderbuddy on the creek.
I think that you'll be thrilled with the PMV-11 blade.
Since I got my first one, I've exclusively have it on almost all my metal bodied planes (mostly Lee Valley except a Lie Nielson 103).
It takes a great edge and sharpens well.

Jessica de Boer
10-03-2018, 1:34 PM
Also, Jessica, I'm glad to see a female neanderbuddy on the creek.
You should see my hubbies face when I drool over a nice tool :D

I think that you'll be thrilled with the PMV-11 blade.
I have the Veritas low angle block plane and the apron plane with a PM-V11 blade. I also have one in my Record #3. They are very nice and hold an edge for quite some time.

Matt Lau
10-06-2018, 11:27 PM
He should see your face in front of the 40th anniversary pocket plane! (hint, hint. Hopefully, he's lurking).

Maybe my hands are smaller than yours (size M medical gloves), but they fit so very nicely!
The Apron plane is nice, but this is nicer.

C'mon invisible hubby. Don't you want to see Jessica drool with happiness?

Jessica de Boer
10-07-2018, 3:08 AM
Take a look at the 6th reply on the first page of the thread ;)