PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" Shank Bits For Leigh DT Jigs?

Derek Arita
08-21-2018, 4:11 PM
Anyone here use these and why? Limitations? Just figured they may give better cuts and maybe faster cuts as well, with less chatter.

Jim Becker
08-21-2018, 4:36 PM
Many of the Leigh "sets" are 8mm shank...much stronger/more stable than 1/4" without the bulk of 1/2" shanks which can interfere with the guide bushing. The bits that came with my D4 as well as my Jessada set are 8mm shanks.

Dick Mahany
08-21-2018, 5:56 PM
Anyone here use these and why? Limitations? Just figured they may give better cuts and maybe faster cuts as well, with less chatter.

I noticed a reduction in chatter moving from 1/4" to 8mm shanks. I have and like a Whiteside set that I use in my Bosch 1618 EVS. I can't comment on 1/2" shanks for my D4 as the 8mm work great.

Dan Hahr
08-21-2018, 6:14 PM
1/2” shanks won’t work with the 7/16 guide bushings. 8mm with the reducing collet works fine. I would mind having an 8mm collet for my two routers. I think they would tighten much better. I really had to bear down on the reducers to get them tight enough to not slip after things got warm.

Dan

Derek Arita
08-21-2018, 7:12 PM
Thanks for the input. Just got an email from Barry at Leigh. He writes that since I work on 1/2" to 3/4" boards, I wouldn't be able to use 1/2" shank bits, which are used for thicker boards. I guess that answers that. I just know enough about the jig, so had no idea what could or couldn't be done. Thanks for the help guys.