PDA

View Full Version : Cannot login to my d-link dsl/modem

Chuck Wintle
08-20-2018, 7:03 AM
I have 2 d-link modems a 2320 and a 520 both with some sort of issue. According to the user manual I should be able to login to either one by typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser. The login in page does not appear instead giving something like a "time out" message yet both of them work. when connected. At one time the login screen was working but now...? I have no idea why.

Jerome Stanek
08-20-2018, 7:27 AM
what browser are you using. I had that problem with one of my old routers and had to use a different browser

Mike Kreinhop
08-20-2018, 7:44 AM
You could try 192.168.0.1, as this works with some DSL modems.

Grant Wilkinson
08-20-2018, 8:07 AM
@chuck. You may want to try these instructions for the 2320.

https://www.router-reset.com/reset-manuals/D-Link/DAP-2320-rev-A1#howto-login

Chuck Wintle
08-20-2018, 8:11 AM
what browser are you using. I had that problem with one of my old routers and had to use a different browser
I am using the latest version of Firefox., Have tried Ubuntu and Internet Explorer with the same results.

Chuck Wintle
08-20-2018, 8:13 AM
yes I tried 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.0 and a few other combinations.

Chuck Wintle
08-20-2018, 8:15 AM
@chuck. You may want to try these instructions for the 2320.

https://www.router-reset.com/reset-manuals/D-Link/DAP-2320-rev-A1#howto-login

I have done the reset a few times but will try it again. The funny part is both modem work when connected.

Grant Wilkinson
08-20-2018, 8:18 AM
@Chuck. After the reset, that page uses 192.168.0.50 to get onto the login page. Maybe, try that.

Chuck Wintle
08-20-2018, 8:18 AM

And I forgot to say that I use them in bridge mode. Its the wireless router that contains the account login information.

Chuck Wintle
08-20-2018, 8:22 AM
@Chuck. After the reset, that page uses 192.168.0.50 to get onto the login page. Maybe, try that.

Ok I will give it a try tonight after work.

Derek Meyer
08-20-2018, 1:09 PM
If you are using Windows, open a command prompt and type ipconfig and press <enter>. The command will show you your ip address information. There will be an entry for Default Gateway in that information. This will be the address of your modem/router. Type that address into your browser.

Chuck Wintle
08-20-2018, 1:41 PM
Well thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions to this modem problem. What I discovered was it was necessary to reset the network adaptor thru the utility builtin to windows. Once i did that my D-Link 520B was working correctly and i could login to it but my 2320B was not working. I could not login to it. So it is probably faulty but the strange part is i can connect it to my router and it works. Seems odd to me.

James Waldron
08-20-2018, 4:12 PM
Well thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions to this modem problem. What I discovered was it was necessary to reset the network adaptor thru the utility builtin to windows. Once i did that my D-Link 520B was working correctly and i could login to it but my 2320B was not working. I could not login to it. So it is probably faulty but the strange part is i can connect it to my router and it works. Seems odd to me.

It may be set up to look to your router for an ip address assignment. It can't have the same ip address as the router, as I understand it, and has to have been initially configured to use DHCP to ask for an ip address rather than use it's default. Or it may have been set to a static ip address different from that of the router. What you need is a program that searches your network for addresses in use. When you have those, one should be your bridge. But I don't know much about bridges, so I could be wrong about that.

Grant Wilkinson
08-21-2018, 8:05 AM
@Chuck. Which one is bridged? I assume that you have them connected together and you have bridged one of them. Whichever one you have set to bridge has had its address changed. You will not be able to connect to it using the default ip address. I'm guessing that you have the 2320B bridged, yes?

Chuck Wintle
08-21-2018, 9:27 AM
@Chuck. Which one is bridged? I assume that you have them connected together and you have bridged one of them. Whichever one you have set to bridge has had its address changed. You will not be able to connect to it using the default ip address. I'm guessing that you have the 2320B bridged, yes?
I am only using 1 modem at a time and it is the D-Link 520b and my spare is the 2320b which works. With the 520B I can login to it now that I have discovered what I was doing wrong. The 2320b on the other hand will work when connected to my router. BUT I i try to login to it when its isolated it does not go. So why would it work when in circuit but not accessible otherwise?

Curt Harms
08-22-2018, 4:49 AM
No networking expert here but if I understand correctly, you're trying to find the IP4 address of your 2320b. You mentioned Ubuntu so I assume you have that available. You could maybe give nmap a shot:

https://itsfoss.com/how-to-find-what-devices-are-connected-to-network-in-ubuntu/

I have a little ethernet bridge device for our I.P. enabled weather station. I've tried connecting to it via direct ethernet cable, I can't get it to work even though I assigned a static I.P. address. I can connect to it when it's plugged into a router though. I wonder if your 2320b is similar.

Aaron Rosenthal
08-23-2018, 1:12 PM
In my case I discovered (Lynksys) that the windows permissions setting was expired.

Grant Wilkinson
08-23-2018, 5:24 PM
@Chuck I suggest that you do a reset of the 2320, then connect directly to it. Don't connect your router. The reset will take the ip address back to factory. If you can get in then, I believe the only issue is finding the new address for it when you bridge it. Once bridged, and connected to your router, access to the 2320 will need a different ip address. Ipconfig in windows should tell you what that is.