PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0555 bandsaw CL find

John A Murray
08-19-2018, 11:47 PM
So last week, with the help of some helpful Creekers, I steered away from an old Rockwell 14” BS that was listed for $350 on CL. My patience paid off and today I picked up this nice find for $475. I am moving away from a Shopsmith so this is my first stand alone BS. It has a riser block, fresh Carter rubbers on the wheels and Shop Fox mobile base. I am not sure if it is gloat worthy, but I am happy. Any recommended upgrade suggestions are welcome.

William Chain
08-20-2018, 9:10 AM
I have the ANV version of the same saw. It's a trooper, it has done all the resaw and detail work I've thrown at it. I did put some carter guides on it, and that made a very big difference. I think that upgrade is worth the investment. I think you'll be happy with that saw in any case.

So last week, with the help of some helpful Creekers, I steered away from an old Rockwell 14” BS that was listed for $350 on CL. My patience paid off and today I picked up this nice find for $475. I am moving away from a Shopsmith so this is my first stand alone BS. It has a riser block, fresh Carter rubbers on the wheels and Shop Fox mobile base. I am not sure if it is gloat worthy, but I am happy. Any recommended upgrade suggestions are welcome.

Art Mann
08-20-2018, 9:18 AM
Here is one piece of advice. The owner's manual may state that the saw can accommodate 3/4 inch wide blades. That isn't really true. They will fit but the saw isn't capable of tensioning a 3/4 inch blade properly. Instead, use a half inch resaw blade and it will work just fine.

John A Murray
08-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Thank you William and Art for your recommendations.

Bert McMahan
08-20-2018, 12:12 PM
If you haven't given this a watch I highly recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

I set my ANV version up with that guide and it did great doing some REALLY thin resawing.

William Chain
08-20-2018, 12:14 PM
FWIW, I've had no trouble with 3/4 in blades. I ignore the tension gauge and just go by feel as described on several videos from the carter folks and others. Surely, it does better with narrower blades, but it'll get there. Your milage may vary.

Thank you William and Art for your recommendations.

William Chain
08-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Yep, that's one of the videos I used too. Follow that, and your saw will spit out fine fine work.

If you haven't given this a watch I highly recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

I set my ANV version up with that guide and it did great doing some REALLY thin resawing.

Bill White
08-20-2018, 1:27 PM
I have the 0555LX version. Great saw, and welcome to the Grizz club.