PDA

View Full Version : Gantry vs Galvo Fiber Laser

Jacob John
08-19-2018, 11:24 PM
I'm interested in doing more cutting, and my 50 watt does an ok job, but for some materials, it does take a while, cutting into my profit. Would a gantry style fiber be better, let's say in a 100 watt comparison? My Tykma is my engraver and I can engrave anything (damn near) with it, so this is strictly cutting. Any recommendations for a gantry cutting fiber vendor? Are the Chinese machines as good as their Western counterparts (like the fibers)?

Forgot to add, I'm wanting to cut 1mm brass, copper (yeah I know, heat sink), sterling silver, gold, and silver. I read many threads here regarding the higher wattage fiber lasers, but I'm not trying or want to ever cut 3-4mm metals.

Tim Bateson
08-20-2018, 8:20 AM
...Would a gantry style fiber be better...

I don't do any metal cutting with either of my fibers, but for all other uses of the Gantry Fiber - NO !!!!!!! Just to be clear on my opinion - HHHHH No!!!!

My Gantry Fiber has it's uses, but speed is NOT one of them! For that matter engraving below surface level will cost you a good amount of your life time.

Kev Williams
08-20-2018, 2:22 PM
Most(?) lasers designed for cutting are going to be gantry machines. I may be sounding biased here since I own 2 Triumphs, but unless Sheldrake knows something I don't (about Triumph, all else is a given :D), give them a lookie. I'm amazed at the selection of machines they've added to their offerings in just the past couple of years. I just know I'm happy with my machines, and their CS...