PDA

View Full Version : First Time Using A CBN Wheel. WOW!!

Joe Frank Porter
08-19-2018, 3:37 PM
I finally ordered a Spartan CBN Wheel 8" X 180G from Klingspor's for $110.00, not an expensive one for trying out. I was amazed at the difference from the white wheels I have been using for several years. No dust, clean and easy. It trued up perfectly on my grinder using the concave washers.

After reading all of your postings about the CBN wheels, I decided to try one out. What a difference. I can't believe it took me so long.

Dan Bevilacqua
08-19-2018, 3:42 PM
Glad you like it. I am now at the point where I want to try one based on all the great things I have heard about them.

Reed Gray
08-19-2018, 8:19 PM
I didn't know they carried CBN wheels. The Spartan wheel, I am fairly sure comes from Ken Rizza of Woodturner's Wonders, which makes me wonder if they are buying from Ken....

There is dust from the CBN wheels, but it is metal dust. That dust will float in the air for days, just like wood dust.

robo hippy

Bill Blasic
08-20-2018, 7:37 AM
It says Woodturners Wonders right on it so yes they come from Ken.

Harold Tinling
08-20-2018, 11:53 AM
Are cbn wheels suited to sharpen the scrapers from Stewart Macdonald luther supplies?

John K Jordan
08-20-2018, 1:08 PM
Are cbn wheels suited to sharpen the scrapers from Stewart Macdonald luther supplies?

I sharpen my StewMac scrapers on a 600 grit 8" CBN wheel on a 1/2 speed bench grinder. Since they use a standard bench grinder, I suspect a coarser grit would work as well.

Reed Gray
08-20-2018, 2:05 PM
Yup, they will work fine, and you can burnish a burr on them with a carbide burnishing rod.

robo hippy

Dennis Peacock
08-20-2018, 4:36 PM
Yup, they will work fine, and you can burnish a burr on them with a carbide burnishing rod.

robo hippy

Ah! That's good to know. :)