PDA

View Full Version : Parallels on a MacBook Pro

Bill George
08-19-2018, 8:37 AM
I know there are members using Parallels here so I thought I would ask a couple questions. Right now I am using Virtual Box on mine, and even as I can use Corel Draw X6 just fine its getting the files on and off or accessing in the Windows side any file. I have never tried to run a CNC machine like a router off Mach3 or a Laser with one of the Chinese programs is that possible on the Windows side?

stan kern
08-19-2018, 9:29 AM
I would not run a cnc machine using parallels, why not boot camp win 10

Bill George
08-19-2018, 10:12 AM
I would not run a cnc machine using parallels, why not boot camp win 10 I did not know about Boot Camp I thought it was something you had to purchase. Thank you.

Bill George
08-19-2018, 12:21 PM
In the middle of a painting project but it looks like Boot Camp makes a dual boot machine out of your Mac. Can you read / write files from either system? And it would need to be Windows 7 which I see it does.

Well after looking into Boot Camp which is indeed a dual boot system I decided to go with Parallels Version 13. Funny when I looked yesterday I found it on Amazon for $68, today using my Mac same thing again on Amazon but $53? Lots of improvements on Version 13.

donald bugansky
08-19-2018, 7:08 PM
VmWare Fusion is also a great option and I have used it for many years. Allows me to use the Adobe graphic apps on the mac and then just drag them into the Windows vmware instance and let Corel do so minor adjustments.

Bugs
Trotec Speedy 300 80Watt

William Adams
08-19-2018, 7:36 PM
The best way to make files accessible to both operating systems is to make a 3rd partition for transfer and to format it as Fat32.

Bill George
08-19-2018, 8:43 PM
The best way to make files accessible to both operating systems is to make a 3rd partition for transfer and to format it as Fat32.

None of that needed with the new version of Parallels. Just drag and drop, Windows apps appear in the Launch screen. Seems to be light years ahead of any of the others I researched. I can even clone my Windows 7 Pro computer in Parallels.

William Adams
08-19-2018, 9:10 PM
please add:

... in the context of using Mac OS X and Boot Camp for Windows to my post.

donald bugansky
08-20-2018, 11:29 PM
Same integration with vmWare, It's called "unity" mode where everything is just in Mac OS format

Bill George
08-21-2018, 8:46 AM
Same integration with vmWare, It's called "unity" mode where everything is just in Mac OS format Same issues with their website as I had before. Hard to use and buggy, scripts locking up and webpages needing reloading. So I found the info on another website, my older MacBook is not supported, at least not in the new version. It looks interesting.

Lee DeRaud
08-21-2018, 4:42 PM
I have never tried to run a CNC machine like a router off Mach3 or a Laser with one of the Chinese programs is that possible on the Windows side?Depends on the physical interface with the CNC, I expect. I haven't looked at it in awhile, but did the Mach3 people ever get a driver working that could access a parallel port in 64-bit mode? If not, you'd have to use a SmoothStepper or something similar over USB or Ethernet.

Bill George
08-21-2018, 6:35 PM
Depends on the physical interface with the CNC, I expect. I haven't looked at it in awhile, but did the Mach3 people ever get a driver working that could access a parallel port in 64-bit mode? If not, you'd have to use a SmoothStepper or something similar over USB or Ethernet.

Both my wood routers have Ethernet controllers. So its USB and there is a UCCNC program that may be available in the Mac version(not yet) to use instead of Mach3. I will know about the CNC programs when I get the Parallels program loaded on the Mac. I ordered off Amazon thinking, YES! I will get a CD or DVD for restoring if needed. Wrong, came today via USPS, a package and inside the retail box.... a download Link and Activation Code... Sure that's fine :( thanks for the reply Lee.

Keith Outten
08-21-2018, 7:50 PM
I just received an email about Parallels 14 - $49.95

Over 100+ new features, including:

New!
✓Ready for macOS Mojave (10.14) including Dark Mode
✓Get up to 20 GB back with automatic disk monitoring
✓Open Windows applications or documents up to 3x faster
✓30% more battery life
✓Enhanced Retina support for Windows applications
✓Move large files up to 100% faster on Thunderbolt and USB 3.0
✓Significantly less memory, disk, and CPU usage

Lee DeRaud
08-21-2018, 8:44 PM
✓Enhanced Retina support for Windows applicationsI'd be tickled pink if mainstream Windows apps would catch up with very-high-resolution displays. I've got a Microsoft Surface Book (3000x2000) that has serious issues with things like Quicken because the lazy programmers used fixed-size bitmaps for GUI elements, rendering a bunch of things too small to see. Even Photoshop CC2018 lacks true GUI scaling, just normal and 2X, which most of the time means it's either too small or too big, depending on the monitor.

Bill George
09-10-2018, 9:11 AM
I ordered and downloaded Version 13, two days later 14 was out and they sent me the link and new activation code for it. I could not of asked for more. Seamless install, it knows how to load and install Windows software and keeps track of it all. I love it!!
Thanks for a help!!