PDA

View Full Version : Boat from a Bowl

William C Rogers
08-19-2018, 8:26 AM
This is something I have not seen done anywhere before, so I thought I would post. I wanted to make a boat using the lathe as much as practical. I turned a bowl leaving it thick and cut it in half. Glued the two halves together. I decided to make a pirate ship and cut out a shape. Everything is made and nothing was purchased to use,. I turned the rail post, 20 small spheres as cannon balls (not visible) and even made the rope ladder. The wood is red maple and cherry dyed and wood burning for enhancement. The sails are made from thin veneer stained white. Overall length is about 11" and it it about 11" to the tallest point. I will try some other type of boats in the future increasing the detail.

C&C welcome.

391816 391817

John Keeton
08-19-2018, 8:33 AM
Well done!!! Really a neat project and very intuitive in concept.

John K Jordan
08-19-2018, 3:10 PM
Interesting idea and excellent craftsmanship!

Do you have any intermediate photos of the turning/assembly in progress? This would make an interesting article for the AAW journal.

Turners who do segmented work might consider this.

JKJ

William C Rogers
08-20-2018, 7:47 AM
Thank you JK, I really appreciate your comments.

JKJ, thanks for the comments. I didn't take as many as I should have, however I intend to build some different type of boats down the road. Those will require a variation in the initial bowl shape, but be similar. I will do better on documentation.

Thanks

Grant Wilkinson
08-20-2018, 8:25 AM
Fun piece.

Steve Schlumpf
08-20-2018, 10:00 AM
This is something I have not seen done anywhere before

WOW! You are right - never seen anything like this before! VERY cool and I love the imagination! Looking forward to seeing your next ship!

Tom Giacomo
08-20-2018, 8:37 PM
Very nice ship, maybe you have gone overboard.

William Bachtel
08-21-2018, 1:54 PM
Very interesting