PDA

View Full Version : Convert grill from LP to natural gas

BOB OLINGER
08-19-2018, 7:25 AM
We have a Weber Genesis grill, currently LP. I'd like to convert to natural gas. Weber said they have no conversion kits. Has anyone performed this conversion?

Mike Gresham
08-19-2018, 9:33 AM
I haven't done the conversion, but I have had both types of grills. I prefer natural gas. It seems to burn cooler and the burners last a lot longer. In my case, 20 years vs 1 year.

You might get a response on one oe the BBQ forums. Weber used to sell a 'conversion' kit years ago that included a regulator, manifold and other bits for a rather large amount of money. The only reason I can think of for replacing the manifold is that the jets must be permanently attached.

Good luck.

Jim Becker
08-19-2018, 10:03 AM
There are a number of places online that sell parts for Webber grills ... perhaps one of them can help you. But Mike is correct that the options these days are less than in the past. You may need to "upgrade" to a new unit that can be equipped with the correct nozzle setup for NG from the start for a built-in type setup.

glenn bradley
08-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Proceed at your own risk. You can drill out the propane orifice to the larger nat-gas size.

Ron Citerone
08-19-2018, 4:32 PM
burners last a lot longer. In my case, 20 years vs 1 year.

Good luck.

Wow! That is very interesting!

Wade Lippman
08-19-2018, 5:05 PM
I haven't done the conversion, but I have had both types of grills. I prefer natural gas. It seems to burn cooler and the burners last a lot longer. In my case, 20 years vs 1 year.

My propane burners are 20 years old and are fine. Maybe the new ones are lousy.

Brian Henderson
08-19-2018, 5:27 PM
It's really hard to get NG grills around here, none of the stores, even the BBQ-specific stores, sell anything but propane grills. When we moved into the new house, it was already plumbed for NG at the grill. So we figured, since our old grill was... well... old, we'd just go get a new one and nobody has any at all. We were told we might be able to order one and have it delivered to the store, but I want to be able to see it before I buy. So we just haven't bothered yet, although at the beginning of the summer, I keep thinking I ought to but never do.

glenn bradley
08-19-2018, 6:08 PM
On the left coast, many Char-Broil grill models at the BORG come ready to convert. You just unscrew the smaller propane jet and the remaining orifice is already sized for natural gas.

Bill Dufour
08-19-2018, 8:30 PM
I bought a used indoor propane stove and converted it to NG. From the factory it was supposed to have spare NG jets/orrifices these had been lost. So i removed the jets and drilled them out to Ng size. Easy enough if you know the BTU's of the propane jet. The stove had a onboard pressure regulator. I had to unscrew a cap and flip a spacer upside down to reduce it to gas pressure.
You will have to find a NG pressure regulator to run your stove from. It probably does not need one really the house supply should be regulated before the meter. NG is about 5-6" H2O, propane about double that.
I did not have to adjust the airflow or anything tricky for the conversion.
I have read that if the hole is too big it can be filled with solder or epoxy and redrilled for propane. I would not trust that not to melt eventually.
Bill D.

I bought a used #drill set and a pin vise from the bay to do this job. Cost about $20 total. Make sure you use the corrugated flex pipe not rubber or rigid pipe/tube.

John K Jordan
08-19-2018, 8:33 PM
... I prefer natural gas. It seems to burn cooler and the burners last a lot longer. In my case, 20 years vs 1 year.

My friend, a ceramics artist, has a 2" natural gas line to his big kiln. He said there is a lot more energy in propane, almost three times as much as the equiv volume of natural gas, so propane burns a lot hotter. However, natural gas is cheaper for the same number of BTUs.

JKJ

Bill Dufour
08-19-2018, 8:37 PM
Convert one jet and see how it works before you do all the rest. I think you can just use the existing regulator and rely on the house regulator. Ask your gas company what your house regulator is set for or check with a simple tube mamometer.
Bill D.

Grant Wilkinson
08-20-2018, 8:16 AM
@Bob: this may help

http://www.grill-repair.com/blog/2014/directions-to-convert-weber-bbq-grills-to-ng-or-lp-fuel/

Bill Dufour
08-20-2018, 10:02 AM
My friend, a ceramics artist, has a 2" natural gas line to his big kiln. He said there is a lot more energy in propane, almost three times as much as the equiv volume of natural gas, so propane burns a lot hotter. However, natural gas is cheaper for the same number of BTUs.

JKJ

I think that has more to do with ng is supplied at 1/2 the pressure of propane. If you ran a NG burner at 30psi street pressure it would easily out btu propane for the same size orifice.
Bill D
I

John K Jordan
08-20-2018, 12:14 PM
I think that has more to do with ng is supplied at 1/2 the pressure of propane. If you ran a NG burner at 30psi street pressure it would easily out btu propane for the same size orifice.
Bill D
I

That may be true. I certainly didn't research or ask my friend Joe (who knows everything) but I understood there was more involved than just the pressure. I imagine the differing amounts of air/oxygen required and the energy content for each gas would have to be considered as well as the pressure.

• For proper combustion, LPG requires an air to gas ratio of approximately 25:1 whilst natural gas requires a 10:1 ratio.
• Energy Content: LPG: 2572 Btu/ft3, NG: 1011 Btu/ft3
• LPG appliances operate at a higher pressure than natural gas.

https://www.elgas.com.au/blog/486-comparison-lpg-natural-gas-propane-butane-methane-lng-cng

Typical operating gas pressure in the appliance:

• natural gas pressure is typically regulated to about 0.25 psi
• LPG is typically regulated about 0.36 - 0.40 psi

https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Gas_Pressures.php

And this:

• 100,000 BTU/hr furnace will use about 97 cubic feet of natural gas (100,000 ÷ 1,030 = 97.1) in one hour
• 100,000 BTU/hr furnace will use about 40 cubic feet of propane (100,000 ÷ 2516 = 39.7) in one hour

http://www.propane101.com/propanevsnaturalgas.htm

I have no idea what equivalencies, limitations, or problems would arise from using the same pressure and orifice size. When we installed a gas range top in this house the appliance service person said the orifices must be changed to use LPG. I don't remember if he gave the practical reasons. I don't know if he changed or adjusted the regulator.

I also found this:
It is not a simple procedure to convert to a different fuel type, though many consumers mistakenly believe that simply drilling a new orifice will do the trick.
https://www.hunker.com/12616869/a-propane-orifice-vs-a-gas-orifice

Based on all this I would hesitate to convert a range or grill without clear information from the maker.

JKJ

Bill Dufour
08-20-2018, 12:31 PM
I just looked it up the San Bruno, California gas line fire was 400PSi, 30 inch main NG line. At that pressure I do not think it matters what fuel is used.

Bill D.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Bruno_pipeline_explosion

Mike Gresham
08-21-2018, 10:26 AM
My propane burners are 20 years old and are fine. Maybe the new ones are lousy.

Maybe it is frequency of use. I went grilling crazy for a long time. At least 4 days a week and the weekend sessions were frequently 8-9 hours. I've gotten away from that since moving back to GA. I like the TX weather better for grilling.

Dan Friedrichs
08-21-2018, 11:33 AM
I've also just slightly enlarged the orfices on a propane grill and hooked it to NG. Worked great. No conversion kit needed. The orange borg sells a quick-disconnect NG hose for just this purpose...

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2018, 12:03 PM
Yes I have had BBq's converted from propane to natural gas.

I had a fitter drill out the orifices, adjust the fuel/air ratio change the hose and affix a sticker to it.

Regards, Rod.

Bill George
08-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Your NG pressure in your house will vary according to what area you live in. Here in this town the gas in the street is measured in pounds or PSI, the regulator outside your house drops it to perhaps 9 inches WC, the one in your appliance like your water heater or stove drops it to 3.5 inches of water column. Your orifices are drilled out to deliver X number of Btu's at a certain pressure usually 3.5 inches WC/
Since the 9-10 inches of WC is close to the regulated propane pressure and your mileage may vary straight connection might work.