PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a 1/4" solid carbide tool in half

Glen Blanchard
08-17-2018, 12:23 AM
I know carbide is brittle and very hard but is there a way a woodworker with typical tools could cut a 1/4" diameter solid carbide tool like the one pictured below in half? What would happen if I took a metal cut off disc on my 4.5" grinder to it?

Marvin Hasenak
08-17-2018, 1:00 AM
Try a Dremel diamond cutoff blade. Diamond stones will sharpen carbide so the blade should cut it.

Ronald Campbell
08-17-2018, 8:03 AM
Most carbides have a hardness between 90 and 93. It will be difficult at best to cut this

Mark Greenbaum
08-17-2018, 8:37 AM
Try a Dremel diamond cutoff blade. Diamond stones will sharpen carbide so the blade should cut it.

I have cut some of my carbide gravers using a diamond disk (Dremel type), but creating a groove all the way around, then place the bit in a good solid vise, wear eye protection, and smack with a hammer side ways. It will shear from groove to groove, and be a little coars on the new break.

Wayne Jolly
08-17-2018, 11:36 AM
If you only have one of these to cut, I think a die grinder with cutoff wheel would work . . .eventually. If you attempt it, don't start unless you have a couple of extra cutoff wheels on hand.

Wayne

JohnC Lucas
08-17-2018, 2:59 PM
Ditto what Mark said. I cut carbide and HSS bits by scoring all the way around with the Dremel and then breaking them. Put them in a vice and put a cloth over them. Then grab them and break or hit it with a hammer. The cloth keeps things from flying all over and/or hitting you.