PDA

View Full Version : Recycle/Repurpose Auger Bits?

Tate Harmann
08-16-2018, 9:29 PM
I finally got around to learning how to and then actually sharpening 4 auger bits I bought a while ago for my brace. One is one of those nice old Irwins and I got it deadly sharp - works great. Another one I was able to get working really well, too. However, the last two have their nickers/spurs worn down to nothing such that the horizontal cutting surface touches the wood first. I'm under the impression that these are junk? Do I just chuck them in the recycling or repurpose them in some more elegant way? Open to ideas!

Bill Houghton
08-16-2018, 10:27 PM
Find an artist who does junk metal sculptures; s/he will surely find a use for them.

Derek Cohen
08-17-2018, 6:48 AM
Tate, either the spurs have indeed been worn away, or they may be spiral augers, which integrate the spur into the bottom edge. Here is a link:

http://brfinewoodworking.com/sharpening-auger-bits/

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tate Harmann
08-17-2018, 8:56 AM
Thanks all - great tips!

Jim Koepke
08-17-2018, 9:37 AM
My auger bits with worn spurs are occasionally used for rough work where a bit of tear out doesn't matter.

So far my thoughts on other uses for them has been to try making screw driver bits with them.

jtk

Tate Harmann
08-17-2018, 6:21 PM
Hi Jim - that's a good point...I can still power them through softer woods - it's a little rough but could still work fine.

Thanks!

steven c newman
08-17-2018, 6:41 PM
Have seen way too many such bits....at yard sales and the like....and they even have the square end of the shaft cut off......and have marks where a cording drill was used to drill with them...I usually just walk away...IF one does slip into the group...it gets tossed.

Derek Cohen
08-17-2018, 8:20 PM
Have seen way too many such bits....at yard sales and the like....and they even have the square end of the shaft cut off......and have marks where a cording drill was used to drill with them...I usually just walk away...IF one does slip into the group...it gets tossed.

I've not tried this, but ...

I can fit straight drill bits into many of my auger drills. One might then still be able to use a cut-down auger bit ...? It is also quite feasible to grind a taper back to the end of a cut down shaft.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Warren Mickley
08-17-2018, 8:58 PM
A number of augers have been designed without spurs. Today "ships augers" have no spur. In the 19th century such augers were called "American augers". There are other similar bits.

Tate Harmann
08-18-2018, 9:33 AM
Hmmm interesting - I have thought about regrinding a taper on them but figured it would be more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for the tips, though, all!

Ted Calver
08-18-2018, 9:44 AM
What kind of steel are they made of? Seems like you should be able to weld up a bead that could be shaped into a new nicker??

Tate Harmann
08-18-2018, 12:56 PM
I'm sure that would be possible as well :) Though, I have no welder and not too polished welding skills :/ Good idea though!

lowell holmes
08-18-2018, 9:14 PM
I have to gloat. I have a wooden box with 15 Irwin bits.
They went under water during the Harvey flood. The bits have been cleaned and are sharp. The box came apart
but I put it back together. They are a joy to use. The bits are 1/8" through 1" diameter.
They really cut sharp holes. :)

Tate Harmann
08-19-2018, 9:30 AM
That's awesome - did you find the box floating around in the water?? Those are great bits.

I did some reexamination on the two bits in question and it appears that one definitely has it's spurs worn down to nothing and additionally the threads on the lead screw are in horrible condition. That one is junk.

The other, however, looks like it has spurs going in the other direction and integrated into the cutters. It's lead screw is in very good shape. Not junk :)

Is there a different approach to sharpening this type of auger?

Junk?

Not junk?

lowell holmes
08-19-2018, 9:59 AM
I carefully filed the bevel on the spurs. It was not difficult.