PDA

View Full Version : Delta Rockwell bandsaw

Jeff Borges
11-24-2005, 12:15 AM
howdy everyone, I just became the proud owner of a new (old, about 1966) Delta Rockwell bandsaw. I need some parts for it..the model number is 28-. I am looking for a few parts: I Need the whole blade guard/ guide assembly (its the Hex post style, and Carter bearings are what I am hoping to find, but not held to that). I need the left side blade guard as well. Also, I am in search of a motor for the saw,hopefully 1 hp or better, and the on of switch too. The original was a 220/440 model.. I rent, so I am not gonna be adding 220 service to my humble shop. this saw has the for "legged" lock knobs holding the wheel covers in place, I would like to find three more, currently there are nuts holding them shut.. works, but I like OE stuff. (they look like old style faucet knobs to me) Finally I need a portion of the fence. this saw came with a toothde square channel fence rail attached to the table, but the fence is long since pirated.

I have ordered Iturra designs catalog, will use some of their parts, but didn't know yet if they had any of the original parts available.

I have the original rockwell 1/2 hp motor, again its 220/440.. for sale or trade.

I spent nothing on the saw.. so I am ahead of the game.. (I hope)

thanks for your help in advance

Jeff Borges
11-24-2005, 12:16 AM
the model number is 28-290, forgot that

Craig LaPierre
01-10-2007, 1:39 PM
Hi Jeff,

I have an old 20" Delta (Rockwell) bandsaw, model 28-345. It's a metal cutting saw but found a company in Alberta Canada that sells parts. Check out http://www.acetoolrepair.com I haven't used them yet but just put a call in. I am looking for some parts myself, which aren't original so maybe someone can help me out? I would like to upgrade the blade guides, prefferably with bearings and need a nice, heavy duty rip fence as I plan to use it for occasional resawing. A quick release for blade tension would also be nice. I see a lot out there for newer 14" bandsaws but nothing for the big stuff. Any help? Thanks, Craig

PS. are you sure you need to replace the motor? Check the wiring diagram, should be on the wirebox cover. Mine can be wired 230/460 or 110/120.

Pete Bradley
01-10-2007, 8:21 PM
I've bought from Ace also and they're good.

For both Craig and Jeff, if you haven't found it already, www.owwm.org (http://www.owwm.org) has manuals, photos, a forum, and loads of good information on old machines.

220/440 typically indicates 3 phase. If so, this motor is only worth scrap.

Craig, certain years have guides that are unobtainable, but the factory steel guides are very effective if yours are intact. It is important that you machine the blocks flat and square if they're worn or chewed up. the wheel shown in my avatar is from an older version of the same saw. There's no reason to detension on this machine.

Pete

Pete

Craig LaPierre
01-10-2007, 8:54 PM
Thanks Pete,

I visited that site for just a bit but didn't stay long enough to find much. I have a manual and parts breakdown but can't remember where I found them. I bought it a few years ago and have only used it for sheet metal and such but have come to crossroads in my woodshop that I can't stay away from resawing and think this machine will do a nice job... After I find a nice fence. Another problem I've had is getting the machine to track straight. Not much of a problem while freehanding. I have adjusted the tracking and wheel alignment and the only thing I can think of now is the tires. I just ordered them today so will see, unless you have another sujestion in your majic bag? Oh, I'll try squaring the blocks. They guides are worn and I think Ace had them but just thought I would try to upgrade, if possible. Some of them are missing and washers have replaced them.

I believe you are correct about the phases. I remember now hooking up to single phase. I have 3 phase power here so was a little miffed about it at the time. It's been a while since jeffs post so I'm not sure if he is around but I may be able to help him with a moter if he needs one. Craig

Richard Keller
01-11-2007, 9:38 PM
Delta has suprising parts available for old bandsaws. I have restored several saws for the 1970s and had no problem with parts. Try calling the local Delta service center with model and s/n in hand. You may get lucky.

If not, motor is a standard 56 frame, and 1 or 1-1/2 hp would be dandy. Bearings can (and should) be bought at the local bearing house (Better than what you will likely get from delta as a replacement.) Many after market guides are available for that as well. I belive the standard Carter guide "drops" right in....

Richard.

Lincoln Myers
01-12-2007, 1:33 PM
I got a good deal on a Rockwell 28-200 last spring and love it. I love those older tools.

You can see it here:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33676&highlight=28-200

Got any pics you can post?

...and didn't Bill and Ted go to school in San Dimas??

-Linc

Craig LaPierre
01-12-2007, 1:55 PM
Just purchased a fence from Mini Max, very good people to work with. They recomended Carter also and I ordered the bolt on conversion for the blade guides. The people at Delta seemed to think the parts for the guides are no longer available but will keep the old guides around, "for a rainy day". Thanks guys. And yes linc, I believe Bill and Ted did go to San Dimas :)

Rick Whitehead
01-12-2007, 6:04 PM
Jeff,
I have a part I think you may be able to use.
I have a left-hand blade guard. It is one I replaced when I installed a riser block in my bandsaw. It's off a 1990's Delta model, but I think it will fit.
If you want it, send me a PM or email, and we'll go from there.
Rick Whitehead