PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting square edge using Tormek bgm100 and se-77 square edge jig.

Shane MacMillan
08-16-2018, 3:12 PM
I have been playing around this for a while and just seem to be making metal dust. I did my best to ensure the bracket is parallel my table as well as the bar parallel to the wheel face. It is a cbn wheel so I can't true the wheel to the bar. Are there any tips for setting it up? I used the camber adjustments to get it as close as I can for now but I'd like to be able to set it to square and then be able to use the line on the se-77 for cambers.

ken hatch
08-16-2018, 8:14 PM
I have been playing around this for a while and just seem to be making metal dust. I did my best to ensure the bracket is parallel my table as well as the bar parallel to the wheel face. It is a cbn wheel so I can't true the wheel to the bar. Are there any tips for setting it up? I used the camber adjustments to get it as close as I can for now but I'd like to be able to set it to square and then be able to use the line on the se-77 for cambers.

Shane,

That is a tough one. I've played around with a BMG 100 and a CBN wheel and it is really hard to get everything square. I just went back to the Tormek but that is not an option for everyone. TFWW has a crowned CBN wheel that might help but I haven't tried it. Sorry I do not have a better answer.

BTW, you might ask Derek how he does it. I believe he uses the BGM set up.

ken

Derek Cohen
08-16-2018, 10:27 PM

Shane, if you are using the BMG-100, then you have to true this to the CBN wheel. Careful set up can do it. I have not needed shims. Just trial and error to get square. Of course, you need to be sure that the auxiliary pieces are all capable of square.

What set up do you have? Is it a Tormek or BMG?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tom Trees
08-17-2018, 2:29 AM
If you have an iron that's not tapered in its width, get a nice trusty rectangular block of aluminium or hardwood even, and butt it against the side of the wheel
and against the side of the perfectly parallel iron if you have one.
DAMHIK
Tom

Shane MacMillan
08-17-2018, 12:38 PM
I have the BGM and a Bench Grinder with a CBN wheel trying to follow your ultimate sharpening guide. I'm not sure if I really like the bgn bracket as its tricky to get it flat on the table with the 4 slots. I think my next thing to try is to make a block of hardwood that is square and consistent width and use that as my base and then I only have to worry about the orientation of the bar. Then again I never did check to see if the wheel is perfectly square with my table on the grinder. That could be part of my problem I am assuming the shaft is square in the grinder but its a cheap grinder. I'll tinker with it a bit more. Thank you all for the feed back.

Shane MacMillan
08-17-2018, 9:28 PM
Progress has been made. I measure the bar for parallelness with the table and it dropped a bit over 1/32 over the length of the bar. This would explain the taper out of squareness that I'm getting. I'm going to adjust the bracket to ensure the bar is parallel and then go from there. I'm glade I thought to check that. I was going originally off the bracket height but its fairly small and hard to check for parallel to the table.

Shane MacMillan
08-18-2018, 7:58 PM
Fixed, after I adjusted the bar to be parallel with the base which I should have done before. (Only did the bracket las time.) then realign the bar to the stone everything came out as it should. Pays to double check. I also managed to put a nice camber on my LAJ blade to use on rough wood and avoid wanting to buy a scrub plane. Sharpening system works very well now. Thanks Derek your posts describing your system.