PDA

View Full Version : Small Box

David Fried
11-24-2005, 12:15 AM
I started reading David Freedman's Box-Making Basics (Vaughn is reading it, I'm just looking at the pictures:D). I decided to try making the first box in book. I used some Walnut from my scrap bin for the box and a scrap of Bloodwood for the top and keys. It is really small (3.25" x 4.25") but will be a good stamp box. I can never find a stamp when I need it.

The two problems I had were with the miters and the keys.

I cut the miters on the CMS. Before I cut them I cut two pieces of scrap. I took the two left halves, flipped one, and put them together. From what I've read this should double any error. It looked fine. I think my problem was during assembly. I tried using a couple of Bessey clamps in each direction. While this provided a kabillion pounds of clamping pressure, it also made it difficult to align the pieces. Next time I think I'll try laying the pieces out against the fence on the tablesaw, taping them together, rolling up the box, and just using a few rubber bands to hold it together.

I didn't have a slot cutter bit for the router so I used a small Lee Valley bit I have. This bit is really intended for cutting the groove for the 1/8" plywood bottom. I tried making a jig from a scrap of plywood and my test miter pieces but when I went to use it I found it raised the box up further than the bit could reach. I cut the slots by holding the box against a scrap of plywood I mitered. This allowed the the box to wobble on one pass. I went out and bought a 1/4" slot cutter and arbor which I will use next time with the jig.

I also sanded the keys a hair thinner than I wanted. Next time I'll know to slow down when I get close.

So, I certainly made a few mistakes but I think I know what they were and I still have some wood in the scrap bin so I'll try it again. I might make the next one a tad larger as I can only use so many stamp boxes!

Thanks for looking and laughing - Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave Fried

Vaughn McMillan
11-24-2005, 2:56 AM
No laughing involved Dave...that's a great looking box. Like you, I've learned the hard way that big ol' clamps are more than you need. The tape/roll-up/rubber band trick works like a charm, though. Just like you described, I line up all the sides along the rip fence (so the bottom's nice and square), then run a continuous piece of clear shipping tape along the entire length. When you glue it, just rolling it up squeezes out the glue as if you clamped it. I actually heard about this method here on SMC and used it a few times before I bought the Freedman book. I also use masking tape on the inside corners to make cleaning up the glue squeeze out easier and more complete. I've also learned (the hard way) to do the masking with the box dry-fit assembled. If you mask it when it's all laid out flat, you run the risk of getting the tape edge inside the miter joint, and not only does that mess up the miter, it's tough to get the glued-on tape out of the crack. DAMHIKT.

Seeing your box, I may have to try using up some scrap making some similar boxes. They look like they'd work well for business cards if you scaled things down a bit. Thanks for sharing the experience and the pics.

- Vaughn

Chris Barton
11-24-2005, 7:11 AM
Now that's a nice box! I really like the splines on the miters. It looks like it would be a good size for business cards.

David Fried
11-24-2005, 8:09 AM
... I've also learned (the hard way) to do the masking with the box dry-fit assembled.

They look like they'd work well for business cards if you scaled things down a bit.

- Vaughn

Vaughn,

I'll try the inside masking during a dry fit. Thanks for the tip.

I'd have to scale this one UP to fit business cards. I just picked a couple of small, round numbers - 2" x 3" and used that for the inside dimensions. The thickness of the base, hence the outside dimensions, was dictated by the wood not the book.

It looks like it would be a good size for business cards.

Chris,

Thanks! I like the business card holder idea. My business cards tend to live in my underwear drawer but I do seem to collect other folks cards. Next time I'll base the interior dimensions on that. I was a little disappointed by the keys. The Bloodwood can be so pretty. The long grain side of the wood is very red. The end grain is much darker. The keys ended up being mostly end grain to they are far less red than I had hoped for. Something to consider in the future when choosing wood. Live and learn.

Might be awhile. I have no heat in the shop and we're getting our first snow. I envy your WARM basement shop!

Dave Fried

lou sansone
11-24-2005, 8:23 AM
hi david
nice box you got there .... practice makes perfect ..

lou

John Hart
11-24-2005, 8:29 AM
David...I really like it!!! The fact is...I bet that this will evolve into one of those signature projects that eventually become "to die for" . Be sure you keep this first one to compare later on. Wonderful project. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

David Fried
11-24-2005, 8:39 AM
.... practice makes perfect ..

lou

Your right! The things I had done before: milling the rabbit, chamfer, and dado on the router table went smoothly. It's all those things that are still new!

I think it was helpful to try them out on something small that I could do in a weekend and not have to worry about ruining a big old pile of nice wood.

Dave

David Fried
11-24-2005, 8:42 AM
...Be sure you keep this first one to compare later on.

John,

Thanks. I'll keep it and use it (soon as I figure out where I put those stamps!). In the picture I see a lot of white in the Walnut that I don't see looking at the box. I know I have read on the turner's forum about problems with wax in pores/voids looking white. (see - I do read the turning posts!!) I think that's what I have here. I can't see it but the flash from the camera sure picks it up!

Dave

Dennis Peacock
11-24-2005, 8:44 AM
David,

Coming from someone who's made several boxes....I think you did very well on your box. Now, scale it up just a bit with the intentions of making a "keepsake" box for someone in your life. For me? A project that has purpose causes me to do a better job and learn more during the project than just cranking out something just because. :rolleyes: :)

Congrats on a box well done.!!!!:D

John Hart
11-24-2005, 8:47 AM
Yep....That's why I don't use a flash. Seems to pick up stuff that isn't there. I turn the flash off....make sure my white balance is set, then take the pic in natural light. It doesn't take much light if the white balance is set and the colors look more natural.

Chris Barton
11-24-2005, 8:56 AM
Dave,

You may want to consider one of the portable propane heaters available through many of the "borg" stores. They are fairly inexpensive and can really take the edge off when it gets cold. I have one that I use in my basement when I have to do something that requires it to be above 70* during the dead of winter. Mine is one of the catalytic heaters that bolts on top of a 25lb propane cyl. I call it the "rocket engine" because that is what it sounds like when it is running. But, all I have to do is run it for about 5 minutes and the place is nice and toasty.

Micheal Cobb
11-24-2005, 9:25 AM
I have bought several of these clamps from Lee Valley. It really makes clamping miters easy.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31162&cat=1,43838

David Fried
11-24-2005, 9:29 AM
I have bought several of these clamps from Lee Valley. It really makes clamping miters easy.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31162&cat=1,43838

I saw that and thought it looked promising. Nice to hear from someone who has it and likes it! Thanks.

Dave

Corey Hallagan
11-24-2005, 4:40 PM
Congrats, nice box Dave. I love that book ( i read it and looked at the pics :) ) Keep up the good work! I modeled my daughters little jewlery box on the one on the cover.

Corey

John Olson
11-24-2005, 8:16 PM
Making boxes is very dangerious. I made a box for one of my neighbors for their 80h birhday. The daugher saw it and gave me wood for a blanket chest. I worked so hard on the chest I lost my balance trying to stand up. I pulled my arm out of joint. Just becareful and don't grow old like me. LOL

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2005, 8:39 PM
Beautiful box Dave. I am ordering Freedman's book. I am glad to hear that you and Corey liked the book.

John Miliunas
11-24-2005, 8:57 PM
I think it looks just fine, Dave! You've picked up on a lot of great methods for your next round of boxes, as well!:) BTW, what did you use for the pins on the lid? Brass? Small dowels?:) :cool:

David Fried
11-24-2005, 9:03 PM
... BTW, what did you use for the pins on the lid? Brass? Small dowels?:) :cool:

Cheese curds. :eek: Just kidding. The top just sits in a groove, it is removable. If you rotate it up, it stands up and gives the impression it is hinged. It's not - I'll leave that for a future project.

Vaughn McMillan
11-25-2005, 3:42 AM
Micheal...thanks for the link to the Lee Valley miter clamps. Having just built myself another type of "squaring" clamps for another project, I can see how I could make something like the Lee Valley clamps out of scrap BB ply and all-thread for just a few bucks. Great tip.

- Vaughn

Micheal Cobb
11-25-2005, 11:14 AM
"Micheal...thanks for the link to the Lee Valley miter clamps. Having just built myself another type of "squaring" clamps for another project, I can see how I could make something like the Lee Valley clamps out of scrap BB ply and all-thread for just a few bucks. Great tip.

- Vaughn"

Glad I could help since I stole your 3D cutting board design to make Christmas Presents

Mike