PDA

View Full Version : Changing insert tooling: On or off the arbor

mark mcfarlane
08-15-2018, 6:01 PM
Removing the shaper insert head on my Cu300 combo machine requires a few steps: moving an interlock knob, opening a side door, locking the spindle with a rod, removing the arbor lock bolt, removing the insert head, then repeating the reverse process to reinstall the head.

Anyone just unplug the machine, raise the arbor and change out the insert knives while the shaper head is on the arbor?

There is no significant force applied to the arbor during the knife change process, so it seems relatively safe to me.

Am I missing something, and should I always remove the shaper head to change insert knives? Maybe to clean it, for example?

What are y'all doing?

Lazy in Texas,

Martin Wasner
08-15-2018, 7:48 PM
I just pull the heads on my stuff. I don't feel I'd get my inserts in correctly that way.

I also like to clean everything when swapping knives out

Your process doesn't sound much more difficult than how I have to do it on most of my shapers.

Jared Sankovich
08-15-2018, 8:24 PM
I change knives with the head on the spindle.

Mel Fulks
08-15-2018, 8:39 PM
If there is any chance you might have to walk away from the machine before the change is complete, the head should be
removed to set up.

Darcy Warner
08-15-2018, 9:06 PM
I just flip a handle to lock the spindle and pull the head off.
I am supposed to shut the power off too?

Is this corrugated back tooling or those little insert profile head thingys

brent stanley
08-15-2018, 9:10 PM
I always remove the head to change knives. Gives me a chance to brush off sawdust and make sure the new knives seat properly.

Jim Becker
08-15-2018, 9:17 PM
I'm going to say remove, too. If there's anything I've learned about tooling with my CNC activity is that you ALWAYS clean the tool and the parts that hold the tool for each and every change to maintain maximum accuracy. And beyond that, it's probably easier to change the inserts off the machine, too.

Larry Edgerton
08-16-2018, 7:12 AM
If you want to make a changing stand hydraulic shops have cylinder scrap in most sizes and can turn you something special if you need it. Bought a length of 1 1/4" recently for $17.

Martin Wasner
08-16-2018, 7:24 AM

I don't ever, though I don't think it's a bad idea. I've never witnessed it personally, but I've heard of mag starters magically contacting. I kinda want to call BS, but...

mark mcfarlane
08-16-2018, 7:26 AM
I just flip a handle to lock the spindle and pull the head off.

Is this corrugated back tooling or those little insert profile head thingys

Yes, you are supposed to turn off the power, son :).

It's the little insert profile head thingy, but not the smallest, they are the 55mm tall steel knives. There is also a 40mm variant.

mark mcfarlane
08-16-2018, 7:31 AM
For full disclosure, this is one of the reasons I don't like climbing under the slider, which is required on the CU300 to lock the arbor. :mad:

Larry Edgerton
08-16-2018, 8:06 AM
I don't ever, though I don't think it's a bad idea. I've never witnessed it personally, but I've heard of mag starters magically contacting. I kinda want to call BS, but...

I had one do a momentary contact in a lightning storm. I just happen to be looking at the spindle and saw the cutter move about a 1/4 turn. But I don't shut off the main either, unless of course there is a thunder storm going on.

Rod Sheridan
08-16-2018, 9:00 AM
Hi Mark, there's no reason you can't unplug the machine, or open the disconnect switch and change the knives on the machine.

That said, I usually don't because I don't often run the same head sequentially.

I also don't have a spindle lock so I don't whack my head:D

Regards, Rod.

Martin Wasner
08-16-2018, 9:20 AM
I had one do a momentary contact in a lightning storm. I just happen to be looking at the spindle and saw the cutter move about a 1/4 turn. But I don't shut off the main either, unless of course there is a thunder storm going on.

Supposedly, at a shop I used to work at a guy was changing a blade in a tablesaw and it fired up. He got mauled, but I'm calling shenanigans. I'm betting he screwed up.

Jim Becker
08-16-2018, 9:39 AM
For full disclosure, this is one of the reasons I don't like climbing under the slider, which is required on the CU300 to lock the arbor. :mad:

https://rgf05a.sn.files.1drv.com/y4mcUM6NGEMkXynIOvchfSUMjaNj8tlwVdxS0zMBdVa1Idoy6G e2l95pXX6QQ0RujfUFTgERwDEQk-AvaviZGGKyUYgx11ZDWAcYqoi2dp4svdR9beDseZ5q73_VT22L YSDep1_WPVGVbC0fNoUr1g8hza4QR2T8FvCc95fsOrQ9hEgcs1 vHdyYDOVXP3MnTFumN-MJGXJHKBqYLkm6l6rryw?width=314&height=425&cropmode=none

Bill Dufour
08-16-2018, 10:54 AM
One advantage of doing it on the bench is you are less likely to lose a screw or knife in some deep dark recess of the machine. With my luck it would be the last cutter and I would not have a spare one.
Bill d

James Biddle
08-16-2018, 11:00 AM
The CU300 has a disconnect on it that you can turn...no need to unplug. I don't like to change the height or fence if the next cutter is based off of the previous (my cope and stick), so that is the one case where I try to change the insert on the machine. I just blow it off with air to clean it.

Warren Lake
08-16-2018, 11:27 AM
always on the bench with glasses and good lighting. Started and still use old school stuff so its inspected wire brushed with a soft brush and blown clean and inspected again. I bench assemble and snug lightly then check for slide that things are lined up in the grooves but not final tighten. head goes on the shaft and then do a spin test on a piece of scrap and the sound tells you if you need to go out on serrated or up or down on the currugated. Final tighten on the machine. Disconnect box is shut off, Ive had at least one machine over the years if you bump the switch it could start the machine. That has only happened to me with one brand of switches. I think Fonzi owned the company.

I bought a gaggle of insert tooling from an auction and it was filthy, cutters in crap shape and heads dirty. On the bench disassemble and clean all made sense, did the final tightening once cleaned on the bench. Found there is a bit of movement in the cutters before final snugging but either way it was easier to see and digest how it all worked with good lighting and access on the bench then just slip the set up head on.

J.R. Rutter
08-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Changing insert tooling: On or off the arbor

https://i.imgur.com/s4eamxv.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have arbors that pop out, so the tool body is more or less permanently mounted to the arbor, which goes into a rack to get serviced.

Larry Edgerton
08-17-2018, 7:44 AM
Supposedly, at a shop I used to work at a guy was changing a blade in a tablesaw and it fired up. He got mauled, but I'm calling shenanigans. I'm betting he screwed up.

I'm not sure what went on, but the strike killed a tree right next to the shop. Switch did not make contact or it would have turned on. Don't understand lightning other than it seems to do whatever it wants. I once had lightning come in the house and blow out the gas line, from the inside out, and no fire?