PDA

View Full Version : This Too Was a Trip

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Okay, Carole - As promised, I did a wee bit o' pre-breathing today which allowed me to produce this thing. I had a chunk of Eastern White Cedar left over from a fence project that was roughly 2 x 4 x 9. No thought was given to form, just make shavings from an off center set up.

And this is what I ended up with. Turned it between offset centers to shape handle and exterior of "bowl" end; and then stuck the thing in the vac chuck to scoop out the bowl. No other tools used. Plus a bit of sanding by hand.

And while I'm here, been busy making a few more of these things too. Took your advice - they all began life as "I want to be just like the one on the right". Some succeeded, some did not.

I'll take some "real" photos later but wanted to share with ya'll now.

Happy Turkey Day everyone.

John Hart
11-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Wow Andy! Very cool. Now I want to make ladles!! sheesh this place is dangerous!:D

Love the ornaments too. You look like you've been a busy boy!

John Nicholas
11-23-2005, 10:39 PM
I like the scoop. I've been thinking about one for the coffee supply. I always loose count of spoonfuls.

Thanks for an idea.

John :)

Carole Valentine
11-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Cool Andy! That scoop must have been lethal! LOL You did all that just today? Holy cow, I AM slow! The only thing I did today was part the bottom out a little walnut hollow form! LOL

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Cool Andy! That scoop must have been lethal! LOL You did all that just today? Holy cow, I AM slow! The only thing I did today was part the bottom out a little walnut hollow form! LOL

God no! Did the scoop thing today and it took about 20 minutes. Those ornaments took the better part of a week - off and on - and finished them late last night.

Chris Barton
11-24-2005, 6:55 AM
I really like the scoop Andy! It looks like some I have seen Richard Raffin make! Oh, and those good looking ornaments are starting to multiply, if you keep them that close together it will probably keep happening...:)

Ernie Nyvall
11-24-2005, 9:57 AM
Good job Andy. The scoop is cool. I like the form on the ornaments.

Ernie

Bob Noles
11-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Andy....

I REALLY like that scoop. That looks like a keen project and such a warm addition to the home as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill Stevener
11-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Hay Andy, quite an impressive little scoop. I have toyed with the offset turning some, just things from the twilight zone. I showed your scoop to Gerri and mentioned that I must try one. She said, and whats the hold-up!!!! Now if I only had another 3 or 4 lathes :D.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)