PDA

View Full Version : wixy and Delta 12.5 inch planer

Scott Welty
08-15-2018, 7:52 AM
I finally went for the wixy guage for my Delta planer. Now that I have it and am looking at the install directions I'm thinking this thing is not for this size or type of planer. I don't see (yet) any good way to attach it.. Basically the sides of the planer are plastic wrapped around the 4 posts that the head rides up and down on. Looks like the Wixy thing is made to be screwed into more solid metal parts of a larger planer.

Has anyone installed the Wixy on this planer or any other small 'lunch box' planers?

Scott

Mark Carlson
08-15-2018, 8:19 AM
I put a wixey on my 13in 22-580. Wixey has a page (address below) describing which deltas it supports with pictures of the install. Is yours on the list?

www.wixey.com/planer/fit/#delta

Scott Welty
08-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Yes thank you I just found that page as well. They're close. Mine says Delta 22-555. I think they are very similar. The pictures help a little. I'm guessing the moveable part attaches to the head and the stationary part to the base . . .somehow.

Thanks,
Scott

Mark Carlson
08-15-2018, 6:33 PM
I attached 3 pictures that show the attachments. I screwed the gauge the plastic front. One picture shows the attachment point to the part that moves.

Scott Welty
08-16-2018, 10:22 AM
I think I received a newer model. The read out is a separate piece. The bracket for the moveable head is on the right so. . . I guess try to mount whole thing on the left to391650be able to engage the head.

Scott Welty
08-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Hang on . . I thought that L bracket was to attach to something but now I find that it's not even in any of the diagrams in the directions I received. I've written to Wixey.
Scott

Scott Welty
08-18-2018, 9:21 AM
Talked to Wixey and that L bracket is to be ignored. It's for one particular application. Did manage to get installed and seems to work great. I have the 'stick' moving with the planer head and the detector attached to the frame of the planer.

Scott Welty
08-23-2018, 7:38 AM
Just a follow up for those interested. Wixey installed and working well along with a new configuration for planer. I've built a dedicated table for the planer - 4 feet long. I've run a plank of 3/4 melamine all the way through the planer and supported it down to the table. This does two things I was hoping for. 1. Allows me to 'trick' the planer and plane down to very thin dimensions. Made some 3/16 pieces yesterday. 2. This also as completely eliminated snipe. Holding board down firmly as it enters the machine - no snipe.

The Wixey is mounted on left side with the stick being the moveable piece and the read out is mounted on the right side. All good. Thanks for the notes everyone.

glenn bradley
08-23-2018, 9:13 AM
Looks good Scott. Thanks for following up.