PDA

View Full Version : Chisels are sharp, even on the sides

Tim M Tuttle
08-14-2018, 3:11 PM
Until a week ago the only chisels I ever owned were a crappy set of Kobalt which I mainly used in construction. I want to get more into hand tools so I bought a set of Narex. Last night I was making a mallet and used them for the first time to clean up the tenon on the handle. I was using each index finger as a rest as I worked the chisel back and forth. Next thing I know, I have blood dripping from both of my fingers. Didn't feel a thing but I cut myself in two places on each index finger and they bled pretty good. After cleaning myself up I examined the chisels and realized the edges on the sides were pretty damn sharp. As far as chisel accidents go, pretty tame probably, but a good lesson learned!

Brian Holcombe
08-14-2018, 4:16 PM
Just knock the sharp edge off on the sides if you haven't already. As you sharpen this is something to do periodically since they will come back as you work the back from time to time.

Jim Koepke
08-15-2018, 1:36 AM
I was using each index finger as a rest as I worked the chisel back and forth. Next thing I know, I have blood dripping from both of my fingers.

This reminds me of a production manager in my early working years. He was describing putting glass in a frame and how people often cut themselves by pressing against the edges instead of the surface. For some reason this always came to mind in my early days of wood working and my chisel holding rarely holds the sides of the chisel.

Of course it also depends on the chisel. My paring chisels have minuscule side lands at the bevel. It is wise and safe to be extra careful with them. My fingers are usually on the top and bottom surfaces when using them.

jtk

steven c newman
08-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Maybe buy a set of Kevlar gloves.....

John Schtrumpf
08-15-2018, 10:57 AM
This reminds me of a production manager in my early working years. He was describing putting glass in a frame and how people often cut themselves by pressing against the edges instead of the surface. For some reason this always came to mind in my early days of wood working and my chisel holding rarely holds the sides of the chisel....

jtk
Along with that, I don't slide the chisel through my fingers. My fingers clamp the chisel and travel with it as they guide it.

Robert Hazelwood
08-15-2018, 11:39 AM
I only use my dovetail-profile chisels for chopping pin sockets, and then for paring the baselines to remove any stray fibers or bumps left by the chopping. I have sliced the side of my left index finger multiple times paring, even after dulling the sides a bit. Now I just remember to wrap my left index finger in a bit of blue tape and that keeps the blood away.

Jim Koepke
08-15-2018, 2:22 PM
Maybe buy a set of Kevlar gloves.....

My glove comes out mostly for a big mortise:

Pushing hard against the surface, then it suddenly lets go, it can be painful to a bare hand.

Whenever there is an unwanted flow of blood, my first question is, "how did this happen." My second thought is how to change the process to avoid it happening in the future.

Along with that, I don't slide the chisel through my fingers. My fingers clamp the chisel and travel with it as they guide it.

Sometimes with close work on dovetail paring my chisel does slide between my fingers. This is usually with my fingers against the piece being worked and my fingers on the top and bottom of the chisel, not holding the sides.

Though as others have said, it might be a good idea to 'soften' the edges a bit to avoid this.

jtk