PDA

View Full Version : Why move the jointer table

Jim Dunn
11-23-2005, 9:01 PM
:confused: I'm describing the outfeed table on the jointer. Why, or should I ask when did Delta decide to eliminate moving the outfeed table on the DJ-20? Why do other companies still move the outfeed table? Is it so you can adjust all the blades to themselves in the arbor then set the table height to the blades? I can't see any real reason for adjusting the outfeed table other than the reason's I've described above. If there are other reasons please elaborate or as Ricky Ricardo would say "splane dis lucy":D:D

Jim

Chris Rosenberger
11-23-2005, 9:12 PM
I saw a new Delta DJ20 not to long ago & the outfeed table was still adjustable. There are locking bolts on the back of the jointer to lock the table in place so it can not be moved by accident. The only time I have moved the outfeed table was when I changed knives.

Mark Singer
11-23-2005, 9:15 PM
The outfeed table can move to eliminate snipe after changing knives. The actual workpiece is cut in a fine scallop pattern by the knives as the board moves through. The high arc of the knives is what is set to the outfeed table, but the mean height of the scallop loci of points is slightly lower...lowering the outfeed table will make it planer with the mean or average and eliminate snipe...I splaned it...:confused:

John Miliunas
11-23-2005, 9:24 PM
Jim, you've got my curiousity up! There isn't a lever on the outfeed side for moving it up/down?:confused: Like Chris said, there are adjustable stops on the rear of the table, which will limit this movement on both, the in and outfeed ends of the jointer. Otherwise both, Chris and Mark are on the money for why it is so. So, "Ricky" :D , fill us in on the adj. lever! :D (Boy, am I ever dating myself! Good thing I take after Fred!):D :cool:

Jim Dunn
11-23-2005, 10:38 PM
The Delta jointer I am describing is a unit owned by a friend. There is no adjustment on the outfeed table of this particular unit. He tells me that he had a discussion with the salesman on this matter and he said it's no longer necessary. That said I have to agree with Mark to some extent, but if snipe is a problem why not adjust the blades a tad lower. I've seen blade setting attachments that rest on the arbor and not the table to adjust the blades.

All the above said the new Grizzly 8" jointer has an adjustable outfeed table. As does most of the other big name jointers i.e. General.

Lastly wouldn't you plane out any jointer snipe?? Doesn't an appropriately finished board "require" as smooth as possible a finish and can't that be achieved on the planer better than the jointer?

I with John on the dating myself statement, course I'm not quite as large as a Fred. :)

John Miliunas
11-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Jim, I'm still extremely interested in knowing which Delta jointer he has without an outfeed table adjustment! I just looked at the Delta Machinery site and all the larger jointers show some type of adjustment on the outfeed side. I will admit that, their 8" & 6" "Pro" models have this ludicrously small knob to do it, but they are still adjustable.:) Thank goodness! :D

Then, if I may correct you on the snipe issue. First of all, to properly set knives on a jointer, the proper way is indeed to index them against the outfeed table. (I like the adjustment though, because it makes them that much easier to fine tune.) Anyway, on to the snipe thing on the jointer. You need to remember that, when face jointing, you are not just taking cups, bends or twists out of the lumber but, you're also creating a dead flat reference surface for the planer. The planer's job is to directly mirror that reference surface. For instance, if you take a bowed board and don't flatten one face, but instead, just run it through the planer (without any additional shims or such), you'll end up with a board, which is even thickness BUT, it will also have the same cup to it!:( Not a good thing. Same thing happens if your referenced surface has snipe at the end of the board, you stand a much greater chance of causing additional snipe to the opposite side.:) :cool:

Mark Singer
11-24-2005, 1:07 AM
The Delta jointer I am describing is a unit owned by a friend. There is no adjustment on the outfeed table of this particular unit. He tells me that he had a discussion with the salesman on this matter and he said it's no longer necessary. That said I have to agree with Mark to some extent, but if snipe is a problem why not adjust the blades a tad lower. I've seen blade setting attachments that rest on the arbor and not the table to adjust the blades.

All the above said the new Grizzly 8" jointer has an adjustable outfeed table. As does most of the other big name jointers i.e. General.

Lastly wouldn't you plane out any jointer snipe?? Doesn't an appropriately finished board "require" as smooth as possible a finish and can't that be achieved on the planer better than the jointer?

I with John on the dating myself statement, course I'm not quite as large as a Fred. :)

Jim,
As you rotate the head the knives are set to the apex....the easy way to correct is to lower the outfeed table....I splaned it again:confused:

Jim Dunn
11-24-2005, 8:51 AM
John, the jointer is a model 37-877 Industrial. Purchased about 1yr ago at the Collinsville Il. WW show. If I look closely at a picture I took of it (can't seem to find it on my hard-drive right now to post) I can see a small hand wheel on the out feed table side. I guess you would loosen the gibs and move it up or down to get the required snipe removal as Mark has splaned:)

John Miliunas
11-24-2005, 9:40 AM
John, the jointer is a model 37-877 Industrial. Purchased about 1yr ago at the Collinsville Il. WW show. If I look closely at a picture I took of it (can't seem to find it on my hard-drive right now to post) I can see a small hand wheel on the out feed table side. I guess you would loosen the gibs and move it up or down to get the required snipe removal as Mark has splaned:)

Yup, that's exactly the one I referenced from the Delta Machinery site! Like I said, to my liking, that little knob is a pretty poor facsimile of what I feel it should be but, it is the lower end 8"-er from Delta. Why in the heck they call it "Industrial" is beyond me!:rolleyes: BTW, Mark splaned real goodly!:D :cool: