PDA

View Full Version : Not for Sail

William C Rogers
08-14-2018, 8:26 AM
This was my first natural edge bowl. Well the first thing, I left my non LED spot light on when I went to lunch. Cracked. So I enhanced the crack and filled it with aluminum mixed with epoxy. Maybe not the best choice. So putting a foot on the bottom too much tail stock pressure, put a hole in the bottom. I put it up on my "shelf of shame". It sat there for about 18 months, but needed to make room for other things. I thought of multiple fixes and even thought of burning. 11" diameter, 8" to top of sail. Cherry with transtint stain.

John RStegall
08-14-2018, 9:09 AM
I REALLY like this. More ideas for presents.

Bob Bergstrom
08-14-2018, 9:39 AM
I could see the sail being turned from a tall thin section of a deep bowl or goblet. Maybe even the wall of a hollow form?

William C Rogers
08-14-2018, 10:33 AM
I could see the sail being turned from a tall thin section of a deep bowl or goblet. Maybe even the wall of a hollow form?

The sail is thin veneer stained with white chestnut stain. It bowed when the stain was applied into a sail form. As I looked at the piece it just reminded me of a boat. Just a fun thing, needed to make room on my shelf of shame.

Dan Bevilacqua
08-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Great looking piece. Great save too.

Bert Delisle
08-14-2018, 6:49 PM
Design opportunities abound! Sometimes it takes some soak time to become apparent. Great piece, it just wanted to be a boat! Well done.