PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Vase

John Hart
11-23-2005, 8:33 PM
This is my first project with the new scraper. Easiest Walnut I ever worked!!! The Vase stands 7.5" tall and 4.5 in diamter. I finished it in my BLO/Shellac cocktail then buffed it lightly with steel wool. I think I'll work on the finish a bit more though. Thanks for peekin' :)

Oh...And I'd like to point out that I tried Dennis Peacock's suggestion of symmetry by making the base the same diameter as the lip. Whatcha think?

Mark Singer
11-23-2005, 8:38 PM
John,
Excellent! Thats walnut ....one of my favorite woods also...along with...

John Miliunas
11-23-2005, 8:38 PM
Very nice, John! So, the "Big Ugly" works great, huh? :D Anyhow, nice form and, it looks like there's no "problem" with "a flat spot"! (I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the "problem" was with that other piece...:confused: ) Say, what wall thickness do you usually go to with these pieces? BTW, I think this one qualifies as a "vahhhse"!:D :cool:

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 8:41 PM
Now John. that's a vahhhhhas! I love walnut but, I thought you told us your lathe was broken and you were waiting for parts? Hey, this is a great pices and I like the matte finish.

John Hart
11-23-2005, 8:45 PM
Thanks guys!!!

I fixed it a little over a week ago Chris.....Good to go!!

John - This one has a wall of about 3/16"... I could have gone thinner but I was getting used to the new stick!!

Mark - Thanks much!! I would like to get your opinion on form when ever you have the time. You are considered the leading expert. Now, on wood types.....well...we're gonna have to talk.:D

Carole Valentine
11-23-2005, 8:53 PM
Excellent, John! Nice smooth curve and good proportions and. I love the walnut. I parted the bottom out of a walnut hollow form tonight. Oops! Guess I made it a little too concave.:(

John Miliunas
11-23-2005, 8:58 PM
Excellent, John! Nice smooth curve and good proportions and. I love the walnut. I parted the bottom out of a walnut hollow form tonight. Oops! Guess I made it a little too concave.:(

Yikes!:eek: You're not trying to tell us you ended up with a hole in the bottom, are you? :confused: If so, just make yourself a nice Maple pedestal for it to go on! Problem solved!:D :cool:

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 9:07 PM
Hey Carole,

I too, have "punched through" the bottom of a piece before. Have you come up with any fixes for this situation?

John,

Good to hear your DVR is back to "fighting" shape again...

John Hart
11-23-2005, 9:12 PM
....Oops! Guess I made it a little too concave.:(

I did the same thing Monday to a cherry bowl. Got in a hurry. Grrrrrrr:mad:

Chris...thanks! Not a DVR though....It's a Craftsm...it's a craftsman....shhhh :p

Jim Ketron
11-23-2005, 9:22 PM
Nice one John!
Great form and flow!

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2005, 9:24 PM
So John. When does the shingle go up on the John Hart School of Turning?

The diploma could be an autographed Ugly Stick. Participants in the Advanced Section would naturally get an autographed Big Ugly Bertha Stick.

As Captain John T. Hook would say, "Good Form!"

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 9:26 PM
John,

Just more proof that it's not the tool but the craftsman using the tool. :cool:

No matter, you did a great job!

Mark Singer
11-23-2005, 9:31 PM
On form....John a very classic form..I would thin the very edge to celebrate the craft a bit...thats all I like the general form..it is in the spirit of Egyptian, Greek and Roman vases

Bill Stevener
11-23-2005, 9:31 PM
Hi John,
The piece looks great on this end. Glad to hear the new tool is working out. Really didn't have any doubts.
Your a kick man, just a kick........;)

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Bill Esposito
11-23-2005, 9:40 PM
Looks great John, makes me want to turn that walnut u sent me.

John Hart
11-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all your kind comments everyone. I think I'll try to thin the lip as Mark suggests on my next one....Redwood Burl. Wonder how thats gonna be.:rolleyes:

Dick Strauss
11-24-2005, 3:47 AM
John,
Your vahse is not funky or chunky, but the form is just great!

That big thing ("the Franken-Scraper") will just cut through redwood burl like buttah. I turned some yew after turning some locust. Boy, what a joy that yew was in comparison.

More tool mass is much better in my book.

Ernie Nyvall
11-24-2005, 9:47 AM
Very nice John. Makes me glad I got so much walnut.

Are you turning a lot of dry wood? If you hollowed that out dry, then that tool is working great.

Ernie

Bob Noles
11-24-2005, 10:42 AM
John,

Stop showing off when all the lathe stores are closed :p

Very nice project!