PDA

View Full Version : Jointer fence question

Jeff Horton
11-23-2005, 8:19 PM
Walt Q. sent me a user Stearns jointer fence on approval.

I was just trying it and out and I am undecide how it is supposed to mount.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/temp/jointer_fence2.jpg

I have decided the arms on the bottom must fit flush against the sole of the plane. Like it is shown in the photo.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/temp/jointer_fence1.jpg

What I am not sure of is the upper cam/arms. I have them inside the cheeks of the plane but this leaves the bolt at an angle. I am wondering if the cams are supposed to rest on top of the cheeks. So when you tighten down it pulls the bottom arms tight against the sole of the plane. I tried this but it didn't seem to grip very well but I didn't want to tighten them to much not being sure.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Mike Wenzloff
11-23-2005, 8:56 PM
I can't really see how the cams are attaching, Jeff.

But on mine (a Stanley) it comes up to the bottom of the plane. Attachment is different, though.

If your up to searching around, the info is probably on the web.

Mike

Mike Wenzloff
11-23-2005, 9:24 PM
Hi Jeff,

I hunted down another picture on the web. It *appears* to me that the cams cannot both pull it up to the bottom of the plane and firmly attach to the plane's sides, only the latter.

If so, when you put it on, simply push it up against the bottom and then twist the cams.

Take care, Mike

Roger Bell
11-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Jeff....it appears that you have a Stearn #6....same as mine. Look on the back of the jappaned part of the casting for a "6". From what I can see of your photo, it looks to me like you have it adjusted pretty close to correct. Mike is right when he says to pull it up snug to the sole of the plane, and then turn the cams.

The short answer is..... make sure the fence is cammed up snug to the plane's cheek and then adjust the movable portion of the to square it up to the plane's sole.

When adjusted correctly, the eccentric cams are snug. The japanned portion of the unit is snug against the plane's side with no slop. The longest edge of of jappaned portion of the unit is in full contact against the outside face of the plane's side/sole edge as is the longest face of the L portion of the casting (which houses the bolts). The cams become snug against the inside edge of the plane's side or cheek when turned. Do I see some "air" in your photo between the long edge of the L and your plane's cheek? (I can't tell)

Focus on the fit of the long japanned edge of the casting and the long face of "L" to the cheek of the plane. Don't worry about the short part or lower edge of the "L" being in FULL contact with the planes sole (because it cannot be anyway....this portion of the casting is not cast flat enough to allow it)....only that both L's are in firm contact with the sole. You then take a small square and insure that the nickeled movable "fence" portion of the unit is at right angles to your plane sole if you want a squared up cut.

Also pay attention to where your bolts are placed in the "cutouts" on the "L". The bolts, when loose, will slide up and down in the cutout. They will be placed "higher up" in the cutouts in order to fit right on a smaller plane, such as a #5.....and "lower down" in the cutouts for a #7 or #8. You might loosen everything up and get these adjusted correctly if you are having problems with your cams snugging themselves up properly. You only need to get the bolt position approximate....the eccentricity of the cams will even it out if you are close enough. If you continue to have a cam problem, this adjustment is the likely culprit.

You will know when you have it right because you can put it on and snug it.... and pull it off.... and put it on again and snug it....all in about five seconds.

Jeff Horton
11-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Had to go out of town over the Holidays. (New Orleans is a mess!)

Just got a chance to read your reply and all I can say is thanks! Tommorow I ama going to play with it some more. Will let you know more then.