PDA

View Full Version : Walker Turner Radial Drill Press

James Boster
11-23-2005, 6:18 PM
I think I remember seeing that a member here had a waler turner radial drill press in one of their shops. Looked for it on a search woth no avail. I think it was Lou Sansone but could be mistaken. I found one of these type drills and would like any input from someone that has one. The guy that has this one is asking $800. he says it is in excellent condition, going to look after the holiday. For anyone that has one is this price to much or what are your opinions. It is single phase, and not sure if its 16spd or less. Thanks for any input.

James Boster
11-23-2005, 6:21 PM
I should have added that this is a heavy "metalworking" drill press around 800#, not the light weight woodworking types.

lou sansone
11-23-2005, 6:34 PM
yep that would be me!
I love the radial drill presses, called the RAM style press, which is shown here at one of my shop tours.

A couple of folks since I posted that have gone out and bought one as you are considering. The best ones are the rockwell units because they have a better designed drilling head which usually have a 6 inch stroke as opposed to the 4 inch WT head. But the WT is still a fine unit. Some seem to only have 4 or 8 speeds. the best ones have 16 speeds.
www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18970 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18970)

I personally think for wood working these are simply the best drill press ever made period. I don't say that about much, but their design is so ideal for furniture making it is as if the design engineers went about building it with that end use in mind.

as far as the price, keep in mind that that same machine is still sold by delta for about 11,000.00 Can you get them cheaper than 800? Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. I would say take a look at the machine and see the condition of it. If it is mint, then don't insult the guy and low ball him. My personal view on doing business is that both parties should leave with a feeling that no one got the short end of the stick. But, hey that is your business not mine.

best wishes

lou

Rob Russell
11-23-2005, 7:06 PM
Lou,

FYI, Delta has discontinued production of the Radial Arm Drill Press at least that's what I was told when I talked with Delta about the Delta version of the machine I picked up earlier this year.

James,

In this SMC thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22620), you can see the Delta one I picked up. As a price comparison, I paid $585 (+ 6% CT sales tax for a total of $620) for the machine. The model I have is a 16-speed and, because it's the Delta/Rockwell version, has 6" of spindle travel. What's really amazing about the machine is how smooth and easy it is to slide the head in and out. I'd expected there to be a crank mechanism, similar to what's on a radial arm saw for raising and lowering the arm assembly. Nope - all you do is loosen the clamping bolt and slide the whole assembly in or out. It doesn't take much more effort than pulling a radial arm saw head out - about the same if your radial arm saw is a big one with a spring return.

Rob

Alan Turner
11-23-2005, 8:20 PM
Just for your reference, I had wanted one for years, but Lou pushed me over the edge. I got the one with 6" of throw, and the old deco iron base. It was $850 from a dealer, 3 phase, 16 speed. I have 3 pahse power so that was not a problem. It is in excellent condition, requiring only a bit of polish. All mechanicals seem good. I have not yet used it so can't comment about that, but it seems designed with the furniture maker in mind, as Lou said. I thought that the price I paid was fair, and my dealer and I have a good and long standing relationship. The one with the 4" throw that he had he wanted $750 for. I got some t-nuts for it, but I think I will semi-permanently mount some 18mm BB on the table as I think this will be better to jig with.

As as aside, I am still considering the geomertry required to compute and jig for compound angle drilling for through mortises for through, round, wedged tenons. If anyone has this figured out already, please feel free to educate me.

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 8:44 PM
Lou,

What an incredible machine! I am very impressed!

Steve Stube
11-23-2005, 9:24 PM
And for the other end of the price spectrum look for item #7550755758 which sold for $382.00. I have owned 3 Ram Drill Presses one like in the on-line auction I picked up at a live auction for $190.00 at live auction in excellent condition. That was ~ 20 years ago (probably $wise about equivalent to the $382. in todays dollars).