PDA

View Full Version : This seems dangerous

Brent Smith
11-23-2005, 6:04 PM
In the current issue of Wood Magazine (167), on page 40, there is a shop tip on making stopped cuts. I've done this cut on a router table many times with no problem, but they are advocating doing it on a table saw. It seems to me that dropping a piece of 2" wide wood onto a moving table saw blade, no matter how carefully, is just asking for, at best, kickback.

I like to think that, while I respect the tablesaw, I'm not afraid of it. But, looking at this procedure gives me the shivers. How do the rest of you feel about it ? Do any of you use this procedure in your work ?

Brent

Steve Rowe
11-23-2005, 6:19 PM
Brent - I agree! I don't get that magazine but this gives me the willies. I did see something worse on DIY Tools and Techniques this week where the guy did something similar dropping wood onto a dado head to make a stopped dado. Perhaps the gene pool really isn't self correcting.
Steve

Don Baer
11-23-2005, 6:22 PM
Brent - I agree! I don't get that magazine but this gives me the willies. I did see something worse on DIY Tools and Techniques this week where the guy did something similar dropping wood onto a dado head to make a stopped dado. Perhaps the gene pool really isn't self correcting.
Steve

Just the thought of doing sooomething like that scares the C%^& out of me. Heck I get scared making a Zero Clearance Insert...:eek:

Matt Meiser
11-23-2005, 6:32 PM
Having accidentally done that once, I can't imagine doing it on purpose!

Carl Eyman
11-23-2005, 7:58 PM
The table saw has bitten me three times. The first time was trying to make a stopped dado by dropping the piece on the blade. I still have ten digits, but I'd have one less scar if I hadn't tried that trick.

John Miliunas
11-23-2005, 8:19 PM
NOT in this lifetime! Especially when there are better and much safer ways to do that!:) Thanks, but no thanks!:) :cool:

Steve Clardy
11-23-2005, 8:32 PM
Built a sewing desk several years back. I did the stopped dados for the legs on my table saw. Not a problem.

Steve Wargo
11-23-2005, 8:49 PM
I highly recommend not making stopped dado cuts on a table saw. I fractured my thumb in three placed doing this, and went through a few rolls of tape repairing it (my thumb that is). Of course it was the second to last piece I had to do, and I'm sure that I just got a little careless, but contrary to some beliefs... Your thumb is not stronger than a 3HP motor. This is not to say that it can't be done, but it is one of the reasons I no longer have a table saw in my shop.

Mark Singer
11-23-2005, 9:26 PM
Use a router. You can stop it on a tablesaw by pushing in to a stop on the fence and turn the saw off....or pull the piece back out...Don't lower it onto a spinning blade

Roy Wall
11-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Brent,

I've seen this sort of photograph (I believe) in books by Kelly Mehler and Jim Tolphin.......

Like you -- I''ve always been frightened by the looks of this procedure...

I don't think this is safe even with the riving knife on......

Mike Cutler
11-24-2005, 10:36 AM
I haven't seen this article, but it sounds a little outside of the box for me.

I have raised a dado blade into a piece of material that was clamped. ( to make handholds).

I certainely can't cast stones though. I did some climb cutting on a router table a few weeks back. Definitely a non recommended technique. Sometimes, you do what you have to do though. Just recognize it for the inherent risk involved.

Bart Leetch
11-24-2005, 11:10 AM
I highly recommend not making stopped dado cuts on a table saw. I fractured my thumb in three placed doing this, and went through a few rolls of tape repairing it (my thumb that is). Of course it was the second to last piece I had to do, and I'm sure that I just got a little careless, but contrary to some beliefs... Your thumb is not stronger than a 3HP motor. This is not to say that it can't be done, but it is one of the reasons I no longer have a table saw in my shop.

Steve it's not the table-saws fault for what happened to you by its self it couldn't hurt you if it wanted to. Next time you have an idea on how to do something like that take yourself out of the shop ( instead of the tool) until you check out your new idea of a procedure & make sure it won't be the cause of your injury. It was your idea that hurt you, you just used the saw to accomplish it.

This is kinda like getting bucked off the horse & never getting back on a horse again. The only difference is it was the horses idea to get rid of you. The saw never had an idea in its entire existence.