PDA

View Full Version : Bolts for Boice Crane jointer?

Craig Malmrose
08-10-2018, 5:51 PM
I just picked up a Boice Crane jointer, circa 1950s. I need to find a set of short bolts to hold the knives in place. The bolts are 1/4 inch in diameter with 28 threads per inch. The threaded length is 1/4 inch. The most important thing is that the hex heads are smaller than standard-size bolts, and fit a 5/16 wrench. Does anyone have a source for these? I've tried Lowe's, Fastenal, etc but I can't find this size.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Craig

Jamie Buxton
08-10-2018, 8:30 PM
If you can't find that particular bolt, you could use set screws instead. 1/4-28 is a standard thread. You'd use an allen wrench to tighten the screws.

Frederick Skelly
08-11-2018, 9:50 AM
I went to McMaster-Carr and couldn't find a hex head 1/4-28 less than half an inch long. Following Jamie's suggestion, I found a pack of 50 SOCKET HEAD screws in that size for $12. It's item number 91251A462 if you decide to go that way.

Link (https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-socket-head-screws/=1e3ybyn) to socket head screws.

John C Bush
08-11-2018, 1:02 PM
Would that application require a harder type of steel considering load and speed of the head, etc,???
Check out the Old Woodworking Machine forum--OWWM--m Lots of vintage rebuild info there.