PDA

View Full Version : Column Caps and Bases

Mike OMelia
08-10-2018, 4:58 PM
Hi. I am remodeling back porch. I have 6 8"x8" cast columns. The caps and bases were Tuscan, made of foam. See pics. The are 8" inside at attachment point,and 10-11" at base of base, and top of the cap. Looks like about $260-$300 to replace with PVC. Some risk involved with sizing. HB&G Columns is helping me (via Home Depot).

My question is can I make these cheaper? Has anybody done this? Is it too much of a pain?Do you think I can find COTS parts at lumber store and build?

OR, do you have a source for prefab I can directly order? (dealing with special order at Big Box no fun)

Mel Fulks
08-10-2018, 5:42 PM
Unless your house is a shrine of local history ,I would make or buy something more thoughtfully designed. My guess is those were done by a workman with no design idea beyond using easily obtained stuff. Look on line for both complete bases and individual components. If you buy something stock made of a wood not really durable you can treat them with
copper naphthalate before painting them.

Mike OMelia
08-10-2018, 6:38 PM
Not a shrine. Just looking for ideas. How to build them up from available stock

Mel Fulks
08-10-2018, 7:11 PM
Let us know what machines and tools you have. And one of the turners here might make them.
Oops I just cleverly discerned that they are not round. I'm sorry

Paul F Franklin
08-10-2018, 7:12 PM
Might want to look at Architectural depot as a source.....

[edit] or outwater plastics.

Mike OMelia
08-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Full shop. Pretty much everything but a lathe. Don’t need for acoustic guitar building

Mike OMelia
08-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Might want to look at Architectural depot as a source.....

[edit] or outwater plastics.
Thank u, will look

Mel Fulks
08-11-2018, 12:28 PM
If your area has a lot of older houses with the same column base design it's possible that a local millwork shop has it in stock for rehabs.

lowell holmes
08-11-2018, 1:06 PM
Google this

column caps and bases