PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me something about this plane?

Brian Hale
11-23-2005, 3:42 PM
I got this last week and i'm wondering if you can tell anything about it. The wood sole is mostly flat and the blade is real hard to sharpen. It's a well used plane but in general it's in pretty good shape. The blade angle seems a bit steeper than my other planes. I assume it's not a rare tool?

Brian :)

Dave Anderson NH
11-23-2005, 3:56 PM
Hi Brian, I'm not sure what the model number is, it varies by size, but it is most like on of the Stanley transitional planes. The transitionals were a hybrid of the modern Bailey adjustment system that Stanley used after they bought Bailey's patent and the soles were of the old wooden style. For more information you can go to Patrick's Blood and Gore at www.superiorworks.com (http://www.superiorworks.com)

Brian Hale
11-23-2005, 4:02 PM
Thanks Dave. I guess some size information would have helped. The total length is 10" long, 2.5" wide with a 2" blade.

The link you posted goes to a blank webpage.

Beian :)

Mike Wenzloff
11-23-2005, 4:06 PM
Hi Brian, it is a transitional, but it most likely is a Sargent. The iron states this, but the cap iron filligree is like the Sargents.

It's corresponding Stanley version is maybe the Stanley #36. On Patrick's website the info for the #35 is the same except length.

The website Dave linked to isn't right. Here's the correct one:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan4.htm#num35

Take care, Mike

Jim DeLaney
11-23-2005, 4:42 PM
You have a Stanley 35, or the Sargent equivalent. They're not rare, and tuned up, with a new sole or the mouth closed up tight, they're a terrific smoother. I have three of them, among my 80 or so planes, and they get a lot of use - even preferable to their cast iron counterparts (#4, or 4½) for me.

Clean it up, tune it up, and enjoy using it.

BTW, these are not rare, nor are they particularly valuable. In good shape, maybe $35~50, but more commonly in the $20~25 range.

Brian Hale
11-23-2005, 8:36 PM
Thanks guys!!

I didn't think it was a rare bird but one can always hope!

Steve Clardy
11-23-2005, 8:41 PM
I have an Ohio D22 that looks similar, except for the top of the frog, laterial attachment is different than yours.
Makers mark is on the front of the wood.

Pedro Reyes
11-23-2005, 9:51 PM
hi,

I am by no means an expert on Sargent planes (I do have a 3420 from late 19th) - actually I'm no expert on any planes - anyhow, it seems that what you have there is a Sargent 3411. If the lever cap has angled lines towards the top and concentric circles near the hole then most likely it is a Sargent, the lateral adjustment lever is identical to mine. Just a note.

I enjoy my 3420 (which by the way is 20" by 3" and uses a #7 blade), honestly I reach for my 7 more, especially with the initial cleaning of an edge, but once clean, sometime I reach for the Sargent for that nice wood on wood sound. Regardless it was a joy to clean and is a pleasure to look at when using the other tools.

Pedro

Brian Hale
11-25-2005, 1:13 PM
Well after a good cleaning i found this on the nose of the plane. I also flattened the sole by sticking some PSA abrasive to my TS top and sanding thru 320. This feels good in my hand and planes real nice now. It may not be worth much, money wise, but i like it a bunch!

Can anyone guess what kind of wood the sole is made out of? Sure is hard.

Steve Clardy
11-25-2005, 1:37 PM
Looks like Pedro hit the right one!!

Looks like a nice plane also!!

Brian Hale
11-25-2005, 1:41 PM
Looks like Pedro hit the right one!!

Yes he did!!! :cool: :cool: