PDA

View Full Version : Artistic Effort Redux

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 1:46 PM
OK, so I took everyone's advice at working on my photography and set skills. Here is a bowl I completed this morning using a piece of wood Dick Parr gave me. I think it is spalted birch from the looks of it but, I am not 100% certain. Let me know what you think of the bowl shape as well as the "photographic set" I used this time. The bowl is about 8" tall and is finished with 6 coats of spray shellac, followed by polishing on the lathe using Ultra Shine EEE and finally a few passes through the Beal system. All suggestions are taken with a smile:) .

Bill Stevener
11-23-2005, 2:05 PM
Hi Chris,
Well I must say, your photography has come a long way. The wood is fantastic. The turning of the same, the line, and the finish looks great on this end. If I may, the form, with the character of the wood, to me anyway, looks like a great-- well its the thing folks in your profession use to grind things up in, and I cant spell. I think it looks just great.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 2:31 PM
You'er right Bill, it does look kind of like a mortar (ie. mortar and pestle)! I hadn't thought of that...

Bill Stevener
11-23-2005, 2:51 PM
Wasn't sure if the correct spelling was like in cement or not, but the big word was the pizza thing,:confused:
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2005, 2:59 PM
Chris - Wow! That guy over at Dick's World of Wood Chunks has got some pretty inventory!

Kinda has a nice tea cup shape to it. And a background that knows not to compete - huge improvement. But what is it? Looks a bit fuzzy.

Looks a whole lot better than the POS I just finished - which will NOT ever get posted!

Nick Adams
11-23-2005, 3:22 PM
Might just be my personal taste, but I can see a bit of bright light in the upper right. Would it be possible for you to readjust that light so as not to create "light flares" ?

Other then that I like the shadow and also the setting as it contrasts enough to show the piece without overwelming it with color.

(I am not a photographer in a professional aspect, However i do work with family that are professional photographers and alows me to do a few auto and people photoshoots a month for them.)

Keith Burns
11-23-2005, 4:06 PM
Chris, I like the form and finish very much. IMHO I think a black background would have worked better with the light wood. I got some black and dark gray vinal at the fabric store and it seems to work well.

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 5:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The background in this effort was improvised and is just gold tone gift wrap that is non-metalic. Keith, I very much agree that a black or very deep blue background would be more flattering but, alas my wife wouldn't let me borrow any of her clothes for this project and I haven't had time to make it by the store to find some. The lighting is natural filtered daylight and I agree with Nick that if I could cut the reflection on the background more it would look better. The one thing I notice is that all sense of scale is lost on this picture. This piece it rather sizable but, its scale is not readily apparent in the picture. Oh well, with you guys helping me I am sure I can get the hang of this picture stuff.

David Fried
11-23-2005, 7:21 PM
At first glance (and even second glance!) I thought the piece was made from marble! I like the wood!! It's an interesting piece. If it was a little smaller I'd love to drink coffee from it!

Dave Fried

Jim Ketron
11-23-2005, 7:49 PM
Nice Piece Chris!
Awesome piece of wood and a nice flowing shape!
the Pics are coming along nicely.

Mark Singer
11-23-2005, 8:41 PM
Beautiful! I really like this one!

John Hart
11-23-2005, 8:54 PM
I agree with Dave....Looks like Marble!!! Totally cool wood Chris and your turning is great! Very nice indeed :)

Carole Valentine
11-23-2005, 8:59 PM
Nice piece! Black or dark gray background would work, but be careful with colors like blue...they add a color cast to the wood which you don't want.

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 9:03 PM
Thanks Carole! A great piece of advice. I will have to remember that. I guess I was thinking about how I have seen light gold/yellow in contrast with dark blue and how good those two colors seem to look together.

Roy Wall
11-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Chris,

Another great piece...its beautiful!!

On the photography:

Most items shot 'on tabletop' are kept about a foot or so away from the curve and back of the paper/canvas/etc.... to eliminate the shadow falling on it...

The window light is good. Vary it anywhere from 45* off camera to 90* (perpindicular) to camera. Put a WHITE paper / cardboard "reflector" on the shadow side of the vase to help soften or eliminate the harse shadow...as you pivot the white paper you'll see a point where it reflects back into the shadow the most - hold it there.

Be careful as not to eliminate the shadow on the vase...this is what enhances the curved form and gives it depth.

NICE JOB!!

Chris Barton
11-24-2005, 6:47 AM
Great suggestions Roy! Thanks!

Dick Parr
11-24-2005, 7:29 AM
That really looks great Chris, I'm not sure which wood that came from as I gave you some silver maple and birch (looks like it might have some maple in it). Which ever one it is, it looks great.:)

Ernie Nyvall
11-24-2005, 10:03 AM
At first glance (and even second glance!) I thought the piece was made from marble! I like the wood!! It's an interesting piece. If it was a little smaller I'd love to drink coffee from it!

Dave Fried

Same here on the marble look. Nice work. Your photo work is coming along real nice. I'd like to do as good.

Ernie