PDA

View Full Version : Help with grinding jigs

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 1:29 PM
I am seeing some sales for Wolverine and thinking back to my newbie thread where it was recommended to look into Wolverine for sharpening lathe tools with. Even though I haven't purchased my lathe and other starting items yet, I do know that December is tool time for really good deals and I want to take advantage of anything I can get on sale. Like all woodworkers, I am a scrounge when it comes to my money :cool:

Okay..... so here I am back with more questions from someone who knows nothing about turning just yet, but speeding in that direction.

Exactly which Wolverine components would be good to go ahead and get so I will have them when the time comes? Please be specific with the item names so I get the right things or should I just order everything under wolverine I see :eek: :p :D :o

Carole Valentine
11-23-2005, 1:55 PM
The Wolverine with the Varigrind attachment. You might want to get the skew attachment, although I haven't tried it. I freehand my skews.

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 2:19 PM
The Wolverine with the Varigrind attachment. You might want to get the skew attachment, although I haven't tried it. I freehand my skews.

Carole,

When you say "Wolverine" I am assuming you are talking the "Sharpening Tool Rest" and then add the grind jigs. Is this correct? I'm sorry I'm such an infant at the moment. I will get this all sorted out in time.... I promise :p

Learning to use tools comes natural to me.... knowing what tools I need has always been the difficult part :eek:

I also noticed that Wolverine has a "new" item listed. "Flat tool sharpening and honing jig" and a "Flat tool jig accessory for use with the tool rest". Anyone know how these come into play or do they replace something "old"? Oh gosh... I hate being a newbie :( Ask me about hand tools or ask me about power tools..... just DON"T ask me about turning...... YET! :)

Loy Hawes
11-23-2005, 2:34 PM
Rockler has the wolverine on sale. (http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=10481&SearchHandle=DADBDADHDADADDDGGDGFGFDHDEGBGBDECNGFD HDAGBCNDEDCDHDHCNDJGGDADGCNDJDBDFGEDEGFDBDHDJDJGEG DDADADADBDADADADADJHHGPGMHGGFHCGJGOGFDADADADEDADAD ADADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDAD ADADADJHHGPGMHGGFHCGJGOGFDADADADBDB&filter=wolverine)

Do you have good grinding wheels? Just something else to consider. I know it's a lot to take in.:D

Ron Ainge
11-23-2005, 2:36 PM
As Loy mentioned Rockler has the Wolverine system on sale and at the same time so does Woodcraft. The prices at Rocklers for the base system is quite a bit less expensive.

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 2:42 PM
Rockler is what I am looking at and the reason for my silly questions :D

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2005, 2:45 PM
Bob - Why not go to the horse's mouth (http://www.oneway.on.ca/sharpening/index.htm) to learn what needs to be learned.

I started out with what you see in this link. (http://www.creative-woodturning.com/grinding_jig_250px.jpg)

The basic complete system includes two bases (clamping thingies), one platform, and one "vee arm". This is what I started out with. Already had the grinder. I've since added the vari-grind attachment, the skew attachment (which is fine for 3/4" or smaller skews and worthless for larger ones) and the wheel balancing rig. On my wish list are new wheels and the dressing jig.

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 3:02 PM
Bob - Why not go to the horse's mouth (http://www.oneway.on.ca/sharpening/index.htm) to learn what needs to be learned.

I started out with what you see in this link. (http://www.creative-woodturning.com/grinding_jig_250px.jpg)

The basic complete system includes two bases (clamping thingies), one platform, and one "vee arm". This is what I started out with. Already had the grinder. I've since added the skew attachment (which is fine for 3/4" or smaller skews and worthless for larger ones) and the wheel balancing rig. On my wish list are new wheels and the dressing jig.

Thanks so much Andy.... Awesome link and looks like it has all my answers.

Wes Bischel
11-23-2005, 5:57 PM
Bob,
FYI
John Gregory posted this sale link earlier this month:
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10795

Wes

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 6:46 PM
Bob,
FYI

Wes

Wes.... thanks, but I believe Rockler has the same item on sale for $49.99 vs 69.99 at hartville. May want to check it out if you need one.

Jim DeLaney
11-23-2005, 7:10 PM
Wes.... thanks, but I believe Rockler has the same item on sale for $49.99 vs 69.99 at hartville. May want to check it out if you need one.

Rockler's price is $93 for the Wolverine, and the Vari-Grind is $49.00 EXTRA. You need the Wolverine to use the Vari-Grind, so you're looking at $142 at Rockler (and it's currently out of stock, BTW) versus $120 at Hartville.

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 7:34 PM
Rockler's price is $93 for the Wolverine, and the Vari-Grind is $49.00 EXTRA. You need the Wolverine to use the Vari-Grind, so you're looking at $142 at Rockler (and it's currently out of stock, BTW) versus $120 at Hartville.

Jim.... I am just a newbie in turning, but I am a pro at bargin hunting :D .

I am looking at a Rockler Sale paper good thru Dec 24 and I checked the web site as well and it says "Save $44 Oneway Sharpening Tool Rest Reg $93.... SALE $49.99 and free freight if I am a VIP club member (which I am). Are we talikng about the same item or am I still to green and wet behind the ears to yet know what I am looking for? :) :)

I agree they are out of stock until around Dec 2 or so, but if ordered they would have to honor the sale price whenever it did come in... no?

Please let me know if I am still wrong as I want to take advantage of savings if it is one.

Update.... I just went back to the website and they have changed the online price back to $93. It was $49.99 earlier today. I will call the store Friday and find out what's going on and at least get a rain check.

Update #2.... it gets even better.... I just got off the phone with the Rockler store near me and was told the price in the flyer was wrong and they are on "SALE" for $59.99 and the corporate office has put an "oops" sign on the display with an apology. Any how, they had 5 on hand and have reserved me one to pick up on Friday. Guess I will go down and get it as it is still a $34 savings. Might as well get the Vari Grind while I am there as well so total set comes to $110 at Rockler.

Howie French
11-23-2005, 8:15 PM
Bob,
FYI

Wes

Bob, I ordered the above 2 weeks ago at 69.95, fast shipping
excellent service.

I am new to this as well, however 1st attempt at sharpening a spindle gouge
went excellent

I am very happy with this system, I will be adding the vari-grind shortly.
Possibly the skew jig (not sure, I may make this)

Howie

Carole Valentine
11-23-2005, 8:57 PM
Bob,
In my opinion the Varigrind part is a MUST for sharpening gouges to a consistent bevel. Get it along with the basic Wolverine system. And check out the videos on Oneway's site. They have a lot of clips on various things.

Bill Esposito
11-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Bob,

I hate to save you money but you can make your own jig for next to nothing and it will work great for putting on an Ellsworth style side grind. The block of wood is 5/4ish thick, about 2"x2", and the rod extends 7" from the center line of the gouge to the tip or the rod. At a 45° angle.

http://cerealport.net/woodworking/diyellsworth1.jpg

http://cerealport.net/woodworking/diyellsworth2.jpg

John Hart
11-23-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't understand what you're showing here Bill. And I really really want to know! How do you use that?

John Nicholas
11-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Bob,

First you need a grinder. You can spend anywhere from 79.00 to 189.00. Less if you catch one on sale. Slow speed, (1700 RPM, not 3600) Don't spend extra for 2 speed or variable speed. 7 inch or 8 inch are good sizes, but 8 inch seems to be standard, the smaller wheel changes the bevel more. You can go larger, but that is more money.

Second, you need a way to present the tool to the grinding wheel in a consistent angle during the entire grinding session. You need to be able to repeat this consistent angle in each subsequent session.

If you don't do the consistent angle stuff, you just grind off metal unnecessarily from your gouge, or other tool. You also spend more time grinding and less time turning.

The consistent angle stuff is where the varigrind jig with the Wolverine system comes in. This jig is the one that actually holds the gouge. By a) keeping a record of how far the gouge is mounted into the jig; b) the angle of the leg setting; c) the distance from the wheel the leg is; and d) last the distance from the wheel center to the point of pivot between the bottom of the leg on the jig and what ever you are using to hold the leg of the jig.

If you buy the complete system, the metal that extends from under the wheel and holds the leg of the varigrind jig takes care of c) and d). If you make your own and buy the varigrind jig only, you have to allow for those in your system.

I use a standard 2 inches for a) on spindle gouges and 3 inches on bowl gouges. My turning club mentor uses 1 3/4 on all. The issue is your consistency not the actual numbers.

You can mark b) on you grinding jig with a pencil. You can to c) and d) by eyesight of matching the old bevel to the wheel. Helps to have someone show you the first time. And to be there from time to time to give pointers, show examples of tools already sharpened etc.

You also need to be able to hone you gouges. Remove the burr that builds up in the flute. You can then look at actually honing your bevels or using them right of the grinder. When you decide which of those you want to do, you are well on your way to becoming an effective lathe tool sharpener.

One final note, you do not put a secondary bevel on a lathe tool, like you do on a bench chisel.

John:)

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't understand what you're showing here Bill. And I really really want to know! How do you use that?
John - Think of it as the same thing as Oneway's Vari-grind attachment for the Wolverine system. Only it's not adjustable to produce "vari"ious grinds

John Hart
11-23-2005, 10:44 PM
John - Think of it as the same thing as Oneway's Vari-grind attachment for the Wolverine system. Only it's not adjustable to produce "vari"ious grinds

Oh Ok...Thanks Andy. I had to go look it up. I get it now. :)

Bill Esposito
11-23-2005, 11:06 PM
It's actually a copy of the Ellsworth jig. Works great.

John Hart
11-23-2005, 11:10 PM
It's actually a copy of the Ellsworth jig. Works great.

I do believe I'll give 'er a try. Thanks Bill!

Dick Strauss
11-24-2005, 3:17 AM
John,
I made a complete sharpening system out of some scrap ash and maple (including a vari-grind like attachment). My system has some improvements over oneway's system. I'll send you specs on how to build it if you are interested. I wanted to build it to challenge myself and save $$$ for other tools.

FYI-I have a Wilton 1HP 8" grinder I got for $49 and a fine blue norton wheel that I got for $11 at the local borg. Surprisingly, the cheap blue wheels work almost as well as the white ones with HSS.

Bob Noles
11-24-2005, 6:16 AM
I have a nice DW grinder, but it is only a 6". Will this size allow me to grind/sharpen lathe tools or do I need to look at the 8"? I have several wheels for it in varying grits that will work for sure, but I'm not sure about the size after reading some of the posts.

Andy Hoyt
11-24-2005, 9:17 AM
I have a nice DW grinder, but it is only a 6". Will this size allow me to grind/sharpen lathe tools or do I need to look at the 8"? I have several wheels for it in varying grits that will work for sure, but I'm not sure about the size after reading some of the posts.

It'll be just fine - for now.

Upgrade later after you've old your first commission.

Bob Noles
11-24-2005, 9:45 AM
Thanks Andy.... just wanted to be sure. I will probably pick up an 8" after I get more into turning. I really want to do things right and the $ is not necessarily the dictating factor in all cases.

Y'all have been so much help and so kind.

God Bless you and have a most wonderful and happy Thanksgiving.

Bill Esposito
11-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Bob,

I forgot about this link

http://www.jeanmichel.org/woodturnjigs.htm

Harry Goodwin
11-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I agree with Carole and Bill for what my opinion is. Bill's hybrid apparently works great for him. I have all three Wolverine additions and they work great and will work on any grinder you already have. Maybe mounted on a extra block. You can upgrade wheels later. Penn state industries PSI have added a copy. The downloads from wolverine will explain everything. Harry

Carole Valentine
11-24-2005, 12:12 PM
I think the difference you may see with a 6" grinder vs an 8" grinder is on tools with a long bevel like my detail gouges and parting tools, you will get more concavity (is that a word?) on the bevel because of the smaller wheel size. What is the width of the wheels on your grinder? It's best to have at least 1" wheels. Anything smaller is a pain. The Wolverine does not work with ALL grinders...it could not be mounted on my old 6" Crapsman, but it probably can be used with all "real" grinders.:)
On the subject of the Vari-grind, I don't recall if the shop made ones mentioned above were adjustable in any way or not (give me a break here, I'm trying to cook Thanksgiving dinner and play on the net too!:D) I don't think they were, but I guess you could make a number of them to satisfy your needs. I have several different grinds that I like and have the angles marked on my vari-grind

David Dixson
11-25-2005, 8:28 AM
Bob,

If you're interested in an 8" slow speed grinder, this may be of interest to you:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605

The Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder is on sale for $69.99, both at the stores and on the website. I'm a bit far to drive comfortably to the Woodcraft off of Highway 400, but you may be closer. I ordered mine today online and delivery cost me $9.99 shipped UPS ground.

From what I hear, this is the 8" grinder to get.

Bob Noles
11-25-2005, 8:50 AM
Bob,

If you're interested in an 8" slow speed grinder, this may be of interest to you:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605

The Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder is on sale for $69.99, both at the stores and on the website. I'm a bit far to drive comfortably to the Woodcraft off of Highway 400, but you may be closer. I ordered mine today online and delivery cost me $9.99 shipped UPS ground.

From what I hear, this is the 8" grinder to get.

Thanks Dave.... I will most likely go ahead and pull the trigger on one at that price. Thanks for all your help both here and elsewhere :)

Joe Melton
11-25-2005, 10:27 AM
That Jean Michel's website is really interesting. Did anyone else notice the "air cleaner" to the right in the last picture of his steady rest? He attached a furnace filter to a common box fan.
How does anyone have the time to build all these jigs and still turn wood?
Joe