PDA

View Full Version : Band saw heavy duty enough?

Tom Hammond
08-06-2018, 3:09 PM
I was originally going to job out resawing some QSWO framing lumber into 1-by for finish woodwork. I had previously asked about best specs for a bandsaw if I were to decide to do it myself. Some said 3HP, some said it wouldn't have to be that big. It is primarily 2x4-10 material with the nails all pulled... but there are a few 2x8 as well. Had thought about splitting those into smaller widths then resawing... but I would like to keep the wider widths if I can.

Currently, Grizzly just put model G0555XH on sale for $1000. It's 1.75 HP with a sufficient throat for doing all I have and more.

What do you think? Is this saw up to the task? Thanks!

John TenEyck
08-06-2018, 3:31 PM
That saw will do it, but slowly. It's a cast iron Delta clone and won't be able to put much tension on even a 1/2" blade so you'll have to exercise a lot of patience on the thicker stuff.

John

Steve Demuth
08-06-2018, 6:11 PM
I've done a lot of resawing on an similar, but steel framed, 14" saw. You can do what you're describing, but it'll be slow, and potentially very slow if it's very old framing lumber - white oak does not get easier to work with age, and as John said, you can't get the tension you really want on the blade with that saw.

glenn bradley
08-06-2018, 8:11 PM
As mentioned, 1-1/2HP will do it. My 2HP 17" saw does 10" material no problem with a carbide blade, slower with various steel blades. We all have opinions. In my opinion there are three places where raw horsepower beats high-tech; cars, stereos and bandsaws. :)

P.s. Which BORG sells QSWO 2x4's? I gotta get me some-a-that.

andy bessette
08-06-2018, 8:39 PM
Just about any 14" bandsaw will easily handle resawing 2 x 4 hem/fir.

Bought my Delta 14", with Kreg fence, riser block kit and extra blades, in like new condition, for $450. Don't think I'd spend $1,000 for a Grizzly.

https://s26.postimg.cc/6w6lt1jgp/delta-bandsaw-1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Art Mann
08-06-2018, 8:57 PM
I think there are better choices for that amount of money. Steel frames are more rigid than cast iron ones and will tension a wider blade better. The brands I would look at for that amount of money are Rikon and Laguna. I own both. I would also take a look at the 17 inch Grizzly steel frame saws. I only know these by reputation but most people who own them like them.

Tom Hammond
08-07-2018, 8:36 AM
P.s. Which BORG sells QSWO 2x4's? I gotta get me some-a-that.

This is material that I salvaged out of the house we are remodeling. Framed in QSWO, built in early 1800s. Would like to have pulled the whole thing apart, but didn't intend to build a new house when we bought it... so, I've pulled out what I could. Was able to salvage enough to do all the woodwork for the entire first floor and a set of QSWO stairs complete with rail and spindles and a raised panel wall. It's all full-dimensional.

Thanks to all for the responses. Very helpful!

Steve Demuth
08-07-2018, 10:24 AM
This is material that I salvaged out of the house we are remodeling. Framed in QSWO, built in early 1800s.

Would love to hear how you get on, and see some of the sawn results. Old growth quarter sawn white oak that is 200 years old should be exquisite.

One thing to consider - I've sawn some aged white oak that darkened amazingly rapidly once cut. I've got a picture frame I made some from sold old boards that within weeks of sawing was an incredibly dark caramel color. Your mileage may well vary, so I'd be really interested to see what you get.

glenn bradley
08-07-2018, 11:41 AM
This is material that I salvaged out of the house we are remodeling

I was trying to be funny; a behavioral failure of mine. I should have put some laughing faces. :D:D:D

It is great that you are going to get to re-use that material. Items/gifts I have made from re-purposed lumber alwyas have a special meaning.

Phillip Gregory
08-10-2018, 8:40 AM
Old white oak lumber is very hard, dense stuff. I do exactly what you are proposing to do except most of my stock is about 2" x 6" with some that are 2" x 10" rather than 2x4s and a few 2x8s. I use a 17" 2 hp steel framed saw and it does okay but is a little on the slower side to resaw the 6" stock. It can cut the 10"ers but it is very slow to do so and if the blade gets a little dull, forget it. My stock like yours had nails in it and occasionally a little BB sized tip of a nail escapes the metal detector, so I only use steel blades and not carbide.

I'd look at a larger, steel framed saw if I were you. I'd look at something at a minimum the size of mine, and depending how much of the thicker stuff you think you'll resaw in the future, probably larger. Personally if I had to do it again, I would have gotten at least a 20" saw with a 5 hp motor to handle 1" to 1 1/4" blades well and zip through the thick stuff.