PDA

View Full Version : Ipe for countertops?

Daniel Cammardella
08-04-2018, 5:06 PM
I found a deal on ipe decking. What are you guys' thoughts on ipe for a kitchen countertop?

John TenEyck
08-04-2018, 6:55 PM
Ipe' sold for decking is not KD, it's still really wet and you would have to let it dry for many months before you could even consider using it for an indoor application. Even then I would not use Ipe'.

John

Darcy Warner
08-04-2018, 9:07 PM
Ipe' sold for decking is not KD, it's still really wet and you would have to let it dry for many months before you could even consider using it for an indoor application. Even then I would not use Ipe'.

John

All the Ipe decking I ever ordered was KD.

Always stickered for two weeks before installing.

John TenEyck
08-04-2018, 9:22 PM
All the Ipe decking I ever ordered was KD.

Always stickered for two weeks before installing.

If you check the MC you'll find that KD for deck wood does not mean 6 - 8%, as commonly used for interior work. Not even close.

John

Mark Gibney
08-04-2018, 10:40 PM
I made a couple of table tops from dismantled fencing. Very tough to work with.

I used a track saw to put a "clean" edge on the boards for the glue up, and it was a very different experience to running the saw along oak. It creates a lot of needle type dust.

I then put the glue-up through a sander, I wouldn't want to ruin my planer knives on the ipe, plus I think there would be a lot of chipping out with knives. It took a long time putting it through the sander, it's so hard I could only take off a minute amount on each pass.

Good luck, it might make lovely counters. I won't rush to work with it again.

Darcy Warner
08-04-2018, 10:46 PM
If you check the MC you'll find that KD for deck wood does not mean 6 - 8%, as commonly used for interior work. Not even close.

John

It came at about 10, some were lower.

It's a funny thing how they deal with it, when you open the shipping containers the steam rolls out.

Darcy Warner
08-04-2018, 10:47 PM
I have planed it, faced it, ran it through the shaper, BS, a moulder, etc.

Kevin Jenness
08-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Horrible stuff to work with, unstable and splintery- best used outdoors.

Mel Fulks
08-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Even if you could get it to stay together it would not show well inside since it needs a lot of light to not look like mdf.

Darcy Warner
08-04-2018, 11:29 PM
Even if you could get it to stay together it would not show well inside since it needs a lot of light to not look like mdf.

Huh?

How does ipe remotely resemble mdf?

Glued it wit TB2 and numerous varieties of West systems.

Andrew Hughes
08-05-2018, 12:30 AM
Ipe is some nasty stuff very hard wood.
A lot like apitong good for decks and truck beds that haul heavy machinery.
So my vote is no.

Jon Grider
08-05-2018, 8:26 AM
I'd like to see the results. Earlier this summer I purchased a batch of preused Ipe that had been on a deck for a number of years. I was impressed by the fact that there was very little checking, warping or other evidence of enduring Michigan's considerable weather changes. I think the wood is beautiful and though I know it will dull cutting edges, I imagine if dried carefully would make a very attractive and durable countertop. Please post some pics if you go this route.

Jamie Buxton
08-05-2018, 10:54 AM
Ever notice that any discussion about ipe shows a wide range of experience about its workability? I think the issue is that one person's ipe is actually not the same species as the next person's. Ipe is not the name of a single species. It is a marketing name applied to seven different species from South and Central America. The position of the hardwood decking industry is that all those species are equivalent. My guess is that for non-decking use, they are not the same.

Warren Lake
08-05-2018, 11:31 AM
my thoughts, I havent seen seven but have seen two levels of quality at two price ranges. Used Abeco and Ipe with Ipe being a bit nicer. Say it will last 80 years untreated on some long board walk its been used on. Ive used it on handles on kitchen stuff say a glass lid where the plastic handle breaks. The ipe is still there 10 years later and still looks good. my body isnt impressed with it, got a sliver cuting some stuff for a friend, left it and not many hours later swollen and full of puss. At least it was easy to remove. Dust stuck to the saw fence like it was magnetic.

Darcy Warner
08-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Ever notice that any discussion about ipe shows a wide range of experience about its workability? I think the issue is that one person's ipe is actually not the same species as the next person's. Ipe is not the name of a single species. It is a marketing name applied to seven different species from South and Central America. The position of the hardwood decking industry is that all those species are equivalent. My guess is that for non-decking use, they are not the same.

I have bought from the top two suppliers in the country one which has their own Forrests and mills in SA. I have bought from my local supplier. I have used cumaru, tigerwood, garapa, massaranduba. I have a pretty good grip on SA exotic. I could care less about dulling tooling, I am not paying for that.

Warren Lake
08-05-2018, 1:03 PM
Jamie wholesalers ive spoken with all put IPE at the top. One sold four or five other woods, ones that Darcy has mentioned and for whatever reason, the games that go on didnt sell IPE.

Wayne Cannon
08-06-2018, 2:54 AM
I used several pieces of 5/4 and 8/4 ipe left over from my deck for other small, single-piece projects. Over 10 years later, with no finish, they are still beautiful. They're not beautiful like cocobolo, though. I'm not sure they would be that attractive for a large piece like a countertop, though. Sawn edges are still like glass. They are not exposed to the Sun, otherwise I'm sure they would oxidize to a soft gray. That could be a concern for a countertop. Hard? Yes, it's very, very hard. And there is very fine yellow sawdust.

Boards on my deck did experience some very minor shrinkage the first year, and there was moderate checking up to about an inch in from the [sealed] ends. The wood was supposedly KD, but I didn't check the moisture content.

Ted Phillips
08-06-2018, 9:24 PM
I have worked with it a couple of times. I have a theory that it isn't actually a plant at all, but a mineral. Darned tough stuff to work, and it splinters like nobody's business.

Jeff Duncan
08-06-2018, 9:39 PM
Partly depends on how your set up for tooling? If you have the ability to glue it up into slabs and sand it after it will make your life much easier. It's too difficult a grain to plane after its glued up even if you had a big enough planer for a c-top. You'll also need help if the tops are even moderately sizes as slabs will be like installing granite..... the stuff is heavy!!!

As for using it for a c-top.... as long as you let it acclimate first I don't see why not? Some of the wood is stunning! Of course when your picking through decking wood it doesn't always show the woods best side. Whenever I use it for a project I try to get a little extra as some boards are just dull and lifeless, others can have amazing grain!

Theres a lot of advice online for gluing it already and I don't glue it much so I won't address that. As mentioned the dust is somewhat toxic and the effects don't always show right away, so try not to breathe it. Splinters suck as its a really brittle wood so you'll get skinny splinters that break off under the skin. Get a razor blade and cut them out asap as they can get pretty ugly. The worst are the ones under the fingernails.... but trust me, you still want to dig them out. You can't wait them out like domestic woods. Oh and don't cut to length sooner than necessary, the ends tend to check if you don't seal them immediately and well.

think thats about it for now, good luck!
JeffD

scott vroom
08-06-2018, 10:28 PM
The road to hell is paved with ipe.

James Biddle
08-07-2018, 12:37 PM
My concern for using it on a countertop would be how to finish it? It's not great at soaking in oils and surface coats have a hard time adhering to it. Without any real protective barrier, it may stain pretty easily.

Andrew Hughes
08-07-2018, 12:45 PM
I bet the op is long gone by now.
Some just need one yea to proceed the 19 nays are ignored.

Scotts post :) now that’s funny.

Jeff Duncan
08-07-2018, 8:43 PM
The road to hell is paved with ipe.

Thats because it doesn't burn easily either:D

joseph f merz
08-08-2018, 11:35 PM
agree with poster who said it is a bunch of different species .stuff i have worked with is hard on cutters ,doesn't glue well and if it wants to move it will .But the wood is toxic to humans also .splinters puss up fast . I personally get ill breathing the stuff ,i tend to get flu's and such when exposed to it .poor choice for a counter top .but OP probable has a better wood picked out .