PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Black Friday?

Andy Howard
11-23-2005, 8:59 AM
Anyone have any info on Home Depot's black friday sales?

A.

Tim Armstrong
11-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Andy, there is a thread about it over on the Bargain Alerts discussion on the BT3Central Forum. Here's the link: http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26936

Need to read a few posts down to get to any scouting reports. Not much info there but a bit.

Bart Leetch
11-23-2005, 12:29 PM
My HD is 5 minutes away & I've been in there 6 or 7 times since they opened in April. Most of the time I go about 7 minutes away to ACE. HD is just a big disappointment. I don't like having to ask people for help just to find out they don't know or care because they are only part time employees so they really don't care to learn any more about the job than they have to. Also I prefer going through a regular cashier to check out & figure I probably pay at least 15% of the purchase price for wages & shouldn't have to struggle to get a machine to check me out just so HD can make 15% more profit.

Tim Armstrong
11-23-2005, 1:03 PM
I'm starting to drive past the Home Depot more and more myself. The HD stores around here are very poorly managed and severely understaffed. I have a Lowes about 10 minutes past the HD and a Menards a few miles more - for me it's starting to be worth the drive. It's a shame because I've been to other HDs that are great - around here they are just trashy and very few helpful folks on staff. But, sometimes, not very often but sometimes, they have some good stuff on nice sales.

Lloyd Frisbee
11-23-2005, 1:25 PM
I have 3 HD near my home or work. Everyone of them is layed out differently. All I get at HD is exercise looking for things they never seem to have or employees that don't have a clue. I would rather drive 20 miles to the nearest Lowes where they have what I need. When I really need to get serious help with a project I go to Orchard Supply. They have everything hardware related.

Scott Berg
11-23-2005, 1:45 PM
I have a HD less than 5 minutes from my house and a Lowes about 20 minutes away. I find myself making the bigger purchases from Lowes and avoiding HD unless it is just a little item. Not only do I have trouble finding the products, I can't seem to find an employee to ask!

Did not always seem this way so not sure if something has changed in corporate?? I also like the "ringers" that Lowes has in case you can't find an employee, you ring it and someone is paged.

Dan Oelke
11-23-2005, 3:18 PM
I don't know about Home Depot or Lowes, but you can find lists for Harbor Freight (http://bf2005.com/harborfreight.html) and Mendards (http://bf2005.com/menards.html) from http://www.bf2005.com/

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2005, 3:32 PM
I am the same way. HD does not have any help and when you do find help they have no idea what you are talking about or want. They only carry oak or birch lumber in this one. The store is trashy and not well kept.

The only thing I buy from HD is MDF or 3/4" ply from them because our local lumber yard is about $10 per sheet higher on MDF than HD. Our local lumber yard is selling 3/4" ply good one side for around $47 a sheet and I get it from HD for about $26 a sheet. The local lumberyard has their birch or oak ply priced about $70 to $80 a sheet. I wish we had a Lowes or Ace here as I probably would not even frequent HD then at all.

Don Baer
11-23-2005, 3:46 PM
I have both a Orange Borg and a Blue Borg within 4 miles of my house and they are almost accross the street from one another. They have been remodeling the HD and it is a real mess so I have been frequenting the Lowes for my Hardare needs. That said I don't use either one of them for any wood purchases. I do find that the tool selection in Lowes is a bit better then HD but that said they realy don't have staff that knows beans about what they stock.

My son works at another Lowes in the mill works and says that a lot of folks will travel to their store because they can't get anwers from the store here in town. He has taken the time to become knowlagable about his department and as a result he has a lot of repeate business from contractors. Since he is paid comission it realy has helped him increase his income. It's realy a hit and miss situation in these stores.

Dave Anderson NH
11-23-2005, 3:59 PM
For me, the idea of even venturing within miles of ANY store on the long weekend after Thanksgiving is frightening. Fighting the crowds and the traffic is not my idea of a good time. I think I'll just use it as an excuse to hide in the shop and do some woodworking.

Chuck Hayes
11-23-2005, 4:12 PM
It looks like home depot has their add up on their website. Looks like nothing real special to me.
http://homedepot.shoplocal.com/homedepot/default.aspx?action=browsepageflash&storeid=2398234&rapid=202171&prvid=HD-051124-ST112405&promotioncode=HD-051124-ST112405&fsid=127772535613385230

Fred Voorhees
11-23-2005, 7:01 PM
Well I guess that I am going to be the devils advocate here 'cause my local HD has served me well over the few years that it has been there. I rarely go to another HD and at this point, I pretty much know where anything I might need, is. If some project comes up that I might not know as much about as other things, I do some research on the subject and learn a little about it instead of relying on the thoughts of others. Simple enough!

Granted, there have been a few times that I have wanted to get the opinion or advice from one of their in-store employees and walked away not happy, but then again, there have probably been more times where I have gotten exactly the information that I was looking for and often times, a little extra knowledge in the process.

Just my opinion:rolleyes:

Mike Hollingsworth
11-23-2005, 8:19 PM
Last couple years I've been approached by HDs own employees offering me their 10% thanksgiving discount coupons for employees. I swore last year that I would have something big this year to splurge on, but alas, I have what I need.

Christopher Pine
11-23-2005, 9:17 PM
While I have experienced ignorant employees at the home depot nearest me.. I have to say they have served me well. I appreciate there policies with the reservists in there employ. From what I understand they treat `them very well whle they are deployed serving there country. I also recieved a 10% discount on verterans day for military folks which is so very appreciated! All in all I don't expect a lot I guess from them but I have overall been very happy with them.. I think if a Lowes where close I would go there because I think they have a better selection.. Just my thoughts.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Chris

Doug Shepard
11-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Not to change the subject, but where did the term "Black Friday" come from, or maybe I should ask what rock I've been living under. I don't think that I've heard the term "Black Friday" used for the after Thanksgiving sales until this year. I've heard it other places besides here, but just don't recall hearing it in the past. Have I just been sleeping or is this a relatively new thing?

Chuck Hayes
11-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Doug;

I do believe that the terms comes from the fact that retailers start to become profitable the day after thanksgiving because it is the beginning of the holiday rush. They are in the black (profit) instead of red (loss).

Chuck

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Doug;

I do believe that the terms comes from the fact that retailers start to become profitable the day after thanksgiving because it is the beginning of the holiday rush. They are in the black (profit) instead of red (loss).

Chuck
And this stems from Black Thursday. Which takes its origin from modern native americans who still find disfavor with everything that has transpired with their treatment since the very first Thanksgiving that took place way back when all woodworkers were neanders.

James Ayars
11-24-2005, 1:22 AM
For power tools, I use our Lowes or the HD in the next town. I don't need any employee help so it's ok that nobody is around. One bad thing about our Lowes is that often take 2 months to get some items restocked. They were out of 0.045" cutting wheels for 10 weeks! They kept telling me they would be in "next week".

For hardware I use our local True Value. They have the most unbelieveable selection of fasteners and hardware I have ever seen. They also sell screws, bolts, washers and nuts in boxes of 100. Our Lowes only has them in those expensive plastic bags of 7 or 8 and an occassional box of 25.

Fastenal just opened a store in our town so I use them for strap toggles and a few other items.

I hate going to department stores and the day after Thanksgiving I will absolutely be nowhere near a dept. store. I may be at True Value as I doubt the rampaging hordes will be there fighting in the aisles for "bargains".
James

Richard McComas
11-24-2005, 2:17 AM
Not to change the subject, but where did the term "Black Friday" come from, or maybe I should ask what rock I've been living under. I don't think that I've heard the term "Black Friday" used for the after Thanksgiving sales until this year. I've heard it other places besides here, but just don't recall hearing it in the past. Have I just been sleeping or is this a relatively new thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Dennis Peacock
11-24-2005, 8:52 AM
Take my advice:

Stay home or with family on the Black Friday and have a nice time. Wait until after New Years and really experience the savings with a LOT less people and a LOT less traffic.

To me, all the traffic, looking for a stupid parking spot, waiting in line to even get "in" the store and such just ain't my idea of fun nor am I saving much of anything if I count my gas costs, time, aggrivation, and whatever else. There ain't nuttin' out there that I need so bad to be caught up all in a tizzy about. So I just stay home and have a nice relaxing time. :D

Russ Massery
11-24-2005, 10:51 AM
The SWMBO send this article to me :www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0511220247nov22,1,6901937.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

Troy Wilkins
11-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I believe the term "Black Friday" comes from the idea that retailers traditionally have counted on the big shopping weekend to put them "in the black" financially. In other words it takes them most of the year to pay the bills and the revenue from Thanksgiving on will be profit. I don't know how accurate this term really is, but I am pretty sure that is where the term came from.

Troy Wilkins
11-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Holy cow....either I am a very slow typist or you guys are really fast. Either that or I didn't notice Page 2. :o

Kurt Strandberg
11-24-2005, 9:26 PM
Take my advice:

Stay home or with family on the Black Friday and have a nice time. Wait until after New Years and really experience the savings with a LOT less people and a LOT less traffic.

To me, all the traffic, looking for a stupid parking spot, waiting in line to even get "in" the store and such just ain't my idea of fun nor am I saving much of anything if I count my gas costs, time, aggrivation, and whatever else. There ain't nuttin' out there that I need so bad to be caught up all in a tizzy about. So I just stay home and have a nice relaxing time. :D
My thinking exactly.

Kurt