PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mounting tv to a wall outlet location

Bill Dufour
08-03-2018, 2:36 PM
I will be mounting a 45" tv to the wall of the living room. Harbor Freight actually had a good mount on sale for black friday so I have that. Question is where to mount the outlet. I will cut in a outlet near floor level and one above somewhere behind the tv. It is hard to find the studs so I would like to have a plan before I start.
Any thoughts on best location for the outlet above or below center of the mount, left or right make any difference? This will be a double box with 120 and another side for low voltage signal wiring. All I can find online is think about it before deciding with no real information.
Bill D.

Josh Molaver
08-03-2018, 2:49 PM
I would factor in where the TV power plug is and make it convenient based on that.

Also consider using a recessed outlet - ala https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Residential-Grade-1-Gang-Recessed-Single-Outlet-with-Clocked-Hanger-Hook-White-688-W/301207401?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD27E%7C27-2_WIRING_DEVICES%7CNA%7CPLA%7C71700000034239053%7C 58700003946878363%7C92700031954447751&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-o_bBRCOARIsAM5NbIOj3ZUbM71igcTmQFNOUEawOYqW29WHEey gEsSyu9oRqsFR8lSv4AMaAm1kEALw_wcB&dclid=CLeG-YTG0dwCFclCDAod8A8Efw

Van Huskey
08-03-2018, 2:57 PM
I placed all of mine above the mount location. While the power cable usually connects with the bottom of the TV routing it around to the top takes up most of the slack in the cord. While some TVs have flat plugs many have standard ones that if you tilt the TV can cause the TV to rest against the plus and not tilt down adequately.

Jon Nuckles
08-03-2018, 4:18 PM
Another vote for a recessed outlet, particularly if you put it below the mount for the reason Van stated. Other than that, just make sure the outlet is not blocked by the mount and is blocked from view by the tv.

William Chain
08-03-2018, 5:11 PM
You can purchase a kit for a recessed outlet and cable passthru behind the tv. I’d recommend that. I did that install (no stud necessary for outlet mount) with a sanos tv mount (I think that was the brand) after binning the harbor freight one. Tried it, it sucked. Spend the money on a better mount, the HF one is flimsy, has limited tilt, etc.

in any case, recessed outlet for the win, and passthru if you like. Makes it all really clean.

Doug Garson
08-03-2018, 6:06 PM
The outlet question seems to be answered by others so here's a tip on finding the studs. Mark the outline of the TV with a couple pieces of painters tape, then drive a small nail near where you think the stud is, if you miss move it sideways until you find it. Since your holes are behind the TV they will never be noticed. If at all possible you should mount the TV mount to a stud.

Bill Dufour
08-03-2018, 6:07 PM
Harbor freight has at least two different mounts. the cheap one is cheap and flimsy. The more expensive one is quite. a bit better. I will see soon.
Bill D.

Jim Becker
08-03-2018, 7:13 PM
I used the HFT mount that often goes on sale for like $15 for each of my daughters' TVs a few months ago. I was honestly impressed with the quality of the mount and it was more than sufficient for even TVs larger than the 42" units I bought them.

Lee Schierer
08-03-2018, 7:46 PM
It is hard to find the studs so I would like to have a plan before I start.

Bill D.

You can use rare earth magnets or a metal detector to find the screws or nails holding the drywall in place, which will tell you where the studs are. The rare earth magnets will stick to the wall directly on a screw or nail.

William Chain
08-03-2018, 7:49 PM
It’s good to know the HF mounts have improved. I’ll have to take another look for the new tv going in upstairs.

When you do your outlet - spring for the leviton with built in surge protection.

Perry Hilbert Jr
08-03-2018, 8:17 PM
I used the cheap HF mount to put up My daughter's 40 inch TV. Worked great. SHe did not need something that swung out from the wall and tilted into the closet., Aimed toward her bed and desk and tilted slightly down ward was all that was required. I have a more expensive one from Best Buy holding a 32 inch tv our kitchen and it is not nearly as solid.

The coolest mount I have ever seen was one that lowered the TV from the ceiling. Of course those folks had a huge 65 inch TV 8 years ago already. It used an accessory mode on the remote to operate the mount.

Bill Dufour
08-04-2018, 1:21 AM
Finding the stud is hard maybe the magnets will work but the nails are under 1/2" of plaster so maybe not.. I bought another stud detector last week and it works okay. I have to get at least 3-4 reading vertical for me to trust it. The walls are 1/2 button board with 1/2" plaster on top. The buttons will fool the detector and they are in a vertical lines about every 12 inches I guess.
Bill D.

Doug Garson
08-04-2018, 1:51 AM
Finding the stud is hard maybe the magnets will work but the nails are under 1/2" of plaster so maybe not.. I bought another stud detector last week and it works okay. I have to get at least 3-4 reading vertical for me to trust it. The walls are 1/2 button board with 1/2" plaster on top. The buttons will fool the detector and they are in a vertical lines about every 12 inches I guess.
Bill D.
Try the nail trick or a small drill bit where you think the stud is.

Jerome Stanek
08-04-2018, 7:19 AM

We call that search and destroy

Jason Roehl
08-04-2018, 8:38 AM
I would pay attention to where all your A/V hookups are, and NOT put the receptacle in that area behind the TV, but on the opposite side or in an opposite corner. Also, this depends on how you use the TV, but I suspect you are more likely to have the TV either flat (parallel to the wall) or tilted down (top further from the wall). As such, it's better to install the receptacle high behind the TV to reduce plug interference. Think long and hard about how high you want the TV, too--I see many TVs that are mounted too high. It makes my neck hurt just seeing them. If it's in front of a couch and 8-10 feet away or so, you want it pretty low (center of TV about seated eye level or a little lower). If it's across the room from a pool table, then it can be up near the ceiling even.

Jim Becker
08-04-2018, 1:54 PM
I agree with Jason. For "media room" type viewing, too high up is a royal pain, but for bedroom use, higher is more acceptable and comfortable.

Doug Dawson
08-04-2018, 3:42 PM
I will be mounting a 45" tv to the wall of the living room. Harbor Freight actually had a good mount on sale for black friday so I have that. Question is where to mount the outlet. I will cut in a outlet near floor level and one above somewhere behind the tv. It is hard to find the studs so I would like to have a plan before I start.
Any thoughts on best location for the outlet above or below center of the mount, left or right make any difference? This will be a double box with 120 and another side for low voltage signal wiring. All I can find online is think about it before deciding with no real information.

The source of your ennui is that your tv is way too small, unless you will be sitting only inches away from it. OTOH, if you're really gonna be using a HF mount, maybe it's for the best that it's super light. Ow, those welds.

There are kits such as the Arlington TVBR2505K (for example) that allow you to easily route wiring behind the wall and stay within code, but you probably already knew that.

Brian Henderson
08-04-2018, 5:40 PM

Or just measure and take an educated guess. Start from where you know a stud is, a corner for instance, and measure out 16 inches or multiples thereof and try that vicinity.

Dan Rude
08-04-2018, 8:27 PM
I have those Rock Plaster walls, The Franklin Stud finder, is the only one I have found that is somewhat accurate. https://www.amazon.com/ProSensor-710-Franklin-Sensors-Precision/dp/B0064EICKG, I believe the same one is in a kit at Costco last time I was there. I was going to wall mount my 40 inch, but have decided to use a stand mount and integrate it into a stereo cabinet, that has been on the back project burner for some time. https://www.ebay.com/p/BellO-TP4444-Triple-Play-44-TV-Stand-for-TVS-up-to-55-Black/4017291647?iid=132725682226&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%2 6asc%3D53210%26meid%3D94110d3518934fbaaf306549e187 6a55%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D183 044603156%26itm%3D132725682226&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 then mounting it to this Wood store project plan: https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/furniture/living-room/compact-home-entertainment-center-plan. Eliminates the wall holes too, gives adjustment to the height. Dan

Bill Dufour
08-04-2018, 8:40 PM
Another question. This is a exterior wall with cellulose insulation. I would like to use conduit for the low voltage wires. I plan to run a LAN or HIDMI cable. I can find plenty of conduit fill tables but I would prefer to use cables with the ends already attached. For one or two cable sit is cheaper to buy premade ones rather then the two tools needed to crimp them up.
I was hoping one inch conduit will be big enough. The 120 wires will just be free inside the wall not in the conduit with the signal wires.
Bill D.

Doug Dawson
08-05-2018, 1:36 AM
I have those Rock Plaster walls, The Franklin Stud finder, is the only one I have found that is somewhat accurate. https://www.amazon.com/ProSensor-710-Franklin-Sensors-Precision/dp/B0064EICKG, I believe the same one is in a kit at Costco last time I was there.

Somebody else posted a thread about plaster, but I've only worked with drywall in this context, and the Franklin ProSensor 710 is the best I've worked with, almost as good as using your knuckles on the wall and listening. The trick there is to use the device to locate the rough location of the stud, put some masking tape across it, and mark the apparent edges of the stud approaching it from both directions with the device. That will get you there.

Doug Dawson
08-05-2018, 1:39 AM
The 120 wires will just be free inside the wall not in the conduit with the signal wires.

It's still not clear what you mean by that, i.e. "the 120 wires will just be free inside the wall".

Jason Roehl
08-05-2018, 7:58 AM
It's still not clear what you mean by that, i.e. "the 120 wires will just be free inside the wall".

Sounds like he is planning to run 120V power in the wall by fishing romex in the stud cavity, but running the signal wires in some conduit.

Jerome Stanek
08-05-2018, 9:58 AM
I would run MC cable in the wall