PDA

View Full Version : First Plane Purchase

Greg Parrish
08-02-2018, 3:26 PM
Over the past 5 or so years I’ve been slowly building out my tool collection starting first with high quality general/mechanics hand tools and then moving on to build out a small but nicely equipped wood working shop with mostly power tools and machines. I’ve had a desire to add in hand tools and carving tools as well as I like all sorts of wood working. Here is my current shop: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?266792-Woodshop-layout-shuffle-number-1-million

With lots of reading I’ve been looking to start with a basic core set of hand tools that includes a few planes, a few chisels, a few saws, etc. last will be a proper bench but I may make that a project.

Anyway, I’m just excited to share that I finally took a step and ordered a Lie-Nielsen 62 low angle jack plane. :) I’m thinking I will next look at their brass #4 smoother and maybe a small block plane.

Also, trying to narrow down a set of a few bench chisels. Have been looking at the veritas pm-v11 chisels, the blue spruce chisels, and a few other brands/models.

Any tips appreciated as I add a few basic items to incorporate into my hobby.

Jim Koepke
08-02-2018, 3:37 PM
Anyway, I’m just excited to share that I finally took a step and ordered a Lie-Nielsen 62 low angle jack plane. I’m thinking I will next look at their brass #4 smoother and maybe a small block plane.

Also, trying to narrow down a set of a few bench chisels. Have been looking at the veritas pm-v11 chisels, the blue spruce chisels, and a few other brands/models.

Sounds like you will have it pretty well covered.

For the chisels, if you do not intend to buy a full set, you may want to consider what you will need for the work you plan on doing.

It also seems like you are able to afford new higher quality tools than taking on the work of rehabilitating older tools.

My suggestion would be to pick up an old #5 or even a #6 to go with the #62.

Don't forget the need for a sharpening set up if you do not already have one.

There are many different block planes, but the #60-1/2 size seems to work well for most people.

jtk

Greg Parrish
08-02-2018, 3:46 PM
Sounds like you will have it pretty well covered.

For the chisels, if you do not intend to buy a full set, you may want to consider what you will need for the work you plan on doing.

It also seems like you are able to afford new higher quality tools than taking on the work of rehabilitating older tools.

My suggestion would be to pick up an old #5 or even a #6 to go with the #62.

Don't forget the need for a sharpening set up if you do not already have one.

There are many different block planes, but the #60-1/2 size seems to work well for most people.

jtk

Thanks Jim. I have a tormek with hand and turning tool jigs. I may eventually invest in flat stones too if needed.

I have an old block plane that is marked made in USA but seems pretty low quality. That said, it’s been my only experience with planes and I e found a few uses for it here and there. But it is not easy to adjust by its design. Hoping to replace with a more functional one when I get to that point on my list. Regarding your comment on the 5 or 6, are you saying instead of the 4 or in addition? Thanks again.

David Eisenhauer
08-02-2018, 3:49 PM
Two things concerning tool purchases in general:1) if you have any way whatsoever to try someone else's tools first, do so. I don't know where you live, but there may very well be someone (or more) in your area that will be glad for you to come over and try his/hers hand tools just to see how that brand/style fits your hand. 2) Slow down on buying a bunch/several tools before you start working with them because, right now, you may not really know what works better for you. Read the reviews and threads here on saws and chisels for some ideas. I will repeat what I have advised previously regarding chisels - buy one or two to see if that handle-balance-feel of that brand fits you rather than buy a complete set. I use a 1/2" and a 1/4" more than the rest and would start with the 1/2". There are several brands of chisels and saws that are of good quality and perform well, just some will feel better in your hands than others. It can get expensive going through sets of decent chisels before nailing down your favorite. You can spend little or big on new, quality saws, again most of which all work well, but may not feel the same to you as they do to others. Lots of folks say don't buy a tool before you need it for your ongoing project and add tools as the need arises. As you start working on projects (big-little-simple-complex), you will better defining what does and does not work for you. Also, as to your new plane and possible chisel purchases, be sure and start reading up on sharpening methods and individual brands of sharpening equipment. Your LN 62 will come fairly well sharpened and ready for use, but even it could benefit from a final honing before use and certainly will need that in the very near future if it is used much at all. Don't forget that a decent marking knife, combo or try square and marking gauge will most likely be used on every project and can get you started while thinking about chisels and saws.

Greg Parrish
08-02-2018, 4:12 PM
Two things concerning tool purchases in general:1) if you have any way whatsoever to try someone else's tools first, do so. I don't know where you live, but there may very well be someone (or more) in your area that will be glad for you to come over and try his/hers hand tools just to see how that brand/style fits your hand. 2) Slow down on buying a bunch/several tools before you start working with them because, right now, you may not really know what works better for you. Read the reviews and threads here on saws and chisels for some ideas. I will repeat what I have advised previously regarding chisels - buy one or two to see if that handle-balance-feel of that brand fits you rather than buy a complete set. I use a 1/2" and a 1/4" more than the rest and would start with the 1/2". There are several brands of chisels and saws that are of good quality and perform well, just some will feel better in your hands than others. It can get expensive going through sets of decent chisels before nailing down your favorite. You can spend little or big on new, quality saws, again most of which all work well, but may not feel the same to you as they do to others. Lots of folks say don't buy a tool before you need it for your ongoing project and add tools as the need arises. As you start working on projects (big-little-simple-complex), you will better defining what does and does not work for you. Also, as to your new plane and possible chisel purchases, be sure and start reading up on sharpening methods and individual brands of sharpening equipment. Your LN 62 will come fairly well sharpened and ready for use, but even it could benefit from a final honing before use and certainly will need that in the very near future if it is used much at all. Don't forget that a decent marking knife, combo or try square and marking gauge will most likely be used on every project and can get you started while thinking about chisels and saws.

Thanks David. I’m not in a hurry by any means. It took me 5 or more years to get my power equipment built out with a continually evolving layout and each tool was purchased as needs revealed themselves during projects. Some were not absolutely needed like the drum sander but they are time savers that filled a need in the shop for various tasks. Since this is a hobby I have limited time to dedicate to it now and every bit of time savings is handy. That said, I also have a limited shop size so I’ve weighed additions based on that. I’ve been inching my way in and adding as I go.

Regarding marking tools I have a wood river marking gauge, and regarding chisels I have one 1/2” two cherries chisel but I want to try something with a sharper edge like the veritas and similar. But long story short not looking to buy a set yet, just a chisel or two to incorporate. I’ve even been looking at options like the Rob Cosman chisels, the Pfeil chisels, and the Lie Nielsen and Stanley Sweetheart models. Regardless, all your points are appreciated and will be taken into consideration. Thank you. :)

Tom Trees
08-02-2018, 4:21 PM
Add a Stanley no 51/2 to your list and leave the low angle for shooting
The cap iron closely set will leave other methods in the dust.
Get ahold of a composite fire door from some hotel renovation or a skip, as its flat rigid and stable, maybe make some saw horses to hold it up, or affix a softwood frame to support it.
You will have a proper planing surface straight off the bat for precision work, which would be a good assembly table after your bench.
A dead flat bench will be necessary for laminations if you dont have a thicknesser to, a stable work surface you can trust.
Good luck

Greg Parrish
08-02-2018, 4:48 PM
Add a Stanley no 51/2 to your list and leave the low angle for shooting
The cap iron closely set will leave other methods in the dust.
Get ahold of a composite fire door from some hotel renovation or a skip, as its flat rigid and stable, maybe make some saw horses to hold it up, or affix a softwood frame to support it.
You will have a proper planing surface straight off the bat for precision work, which would be a good assembly table after your bench.
A dead flat bench will be necessary for laminations if you dont have a thicknesser to, a stable work surface you can trust.
Good luck

Thanks Tom. Perfect example of why I’m easing into hand tools as I’m not sure I even understand the first two sentences. Lots and lots more research and reading for me. LOL

EDiT: oh wait, I think I should be reading that as a 5 1/2, as opposed to 51, correct?

andy bessette
08-02-2018, 4:49 PM
The low angle block plane is my most used. You'll also want at least 1 shoulder plane.

Take a look at the Japanese chisels.

Greg Parrish
08-02-2018, 5:01 PM
Thanks Andy. Which block plane do you have?

I saw Lie-Nielsen has a core tools page on their site too. https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4086/core-tools

I’m not sure what plane to buy next. I never find anything on Craigslist in my area but junk so I’ll probably be buying new each time but other than a longer wait between buys I’m ok with that for quality items.

Tom Trees
08-02-2018, 5:18 PM
Have a look on eBay for some nice Stanley Bailey's, as I said a 5 1/2 would be top of my list.
Buy one where you can see the sole is thick on each end of the plane (not lapped by an oaf),
Anything before 1960 would be good, preferably with rosewood handles.
No need to go for the start of the century planes with the square angular look to the irons.

Look up David Weaver, or David W on youtube for information on the influence of the cap iron (tearout free, plane any direction the best method)
The low angle and perfectly square sides of the Lie Nielsen plane will make a nice plane for shooting.
Good luck
Tom

Hasin Haroon
08-02-2018, 6:22 PM
LN. 62 is a great plane. You'll enjoy it. A good smoother and jointer will round out your plane requirements (and a block plane of course). You can't go wrong with Veritas or LN, or an old plane if you are able/willing to rehab it. I would still want to get a rough jack plane, with a more pronounced camber. I would get an old pre WWII jack plane for that.

For chisels, I would go with Veritas or even Ashley Iles over Blue Spruce. The BS, while beautiful, do not functionally perform any better (with A2 steel) considering their price.

As for other tools, you need marking gauges, squares, joinery planes....the list never ends. Sounds like you've taken the plunge, so welcome to the dark side.

Greg Parrish
08-02-2018, 6:32 PM
LN. 62 is a great plane. You'll enjoy it. A good smoother and jointer will round out your plane requirements (and a block plane of course). You can't go wrong with Veritas or LN, or an old plane if you are able/willing to rehab it. I would still want to get a rough jack plane, with a more pronounced camber. I would get an old pre WWII jack plane for that.

For chisels, I would go with Veritas or even Ashley Iles over Blue Spruce. The BS, while beautiful, do not functionally perform any better (with A2 steel) considering their price.

As for other tools, you need marking gauges, squares, joinery planes....the list never ends. Sounds like you've taken the plunge, so welcome to the dark side.

Thanks. It looks to be as bad as the lathe plunge for bowl turning. Never ending ramp up costs with that foray as well. I’m getting further along with that one though and just purchased my first higher quality turning tools from D-Way. Look forward to trying them on my next project. That said, I need another Vicmarc 120 chuck so cha-Ching. Trying t9 buy lifetime and generational tools when I can so One day I’ll be done and will be set with tools for my retirement hobby though. :)

andy bessette
08-02-2018, 6:32 PM
Thanks Andy. Which block plane do you have?...

My every day user is a Stanley with adjustable mouth. You couldn't go wrong with Lie Nielsen's; I have a number of their planes, as well as Veritas, but generally favor the LN planes.

Hasin Haroon
08-02-2018, 6:48 PM
I hear you. I've done the same...and it was supposed to be done by now - in theory...

Jim Koepke
08-02-2018, 6:49 PM
Regarding your comment on the 5 or 6, are you saying instead of the 4 or in addition? Thanks again.

You are welcome. My recommendation is an addition. It really depends on how much planing you plan to do. Sometimes it is nice to have a plane with a chip breaker. A plane like a #6 is good for a short jointer and a bit wider than the #62 or #5.

Old #5s are rather common and are often available from Craigs List or other local sources.

jtk

Greg Parrish
08-02-2018, 7:31 PM
Okay, I succumbed to the dark forces. Ordered a Lie-Nielson 60 1/2 low angle block plane also.

That said, I’m done for now. Gonna focus on a chisel or two next maybe but will incorporate these first two planes into my shop before I decide what plane is next. Thanks for all the tips so far.

by the way, here is the one I mentioned having that is hard to adjust and seems like lower quality, despite being made in the USA. Anyone know what it is?

steven c newman
08-02-2018, 8:36 PM
Millers Falls No. 70...or a clone. Hammer adjustable. Bevel up, too......

Jerry Olexa
08-03-2018, 12:03 AM
The LN LA Jack is a wonderful plane....You'll like....Good choice

Greg Parrish
08-03-2018, 5:57 AM
by the way, here is the one I mentioned having that is hard to adjust and seems like lower quality, despite being made in the USA. Anyone know what it is?

figured it out. It’s likely a GreatNeck or Buck Bros 6 1/2 plane. Unless it’s older I’m guessing it’s the GreatNeck version as it indicates USA as country of origin where Buck indicates China. Don’t remember where I got it but it Appears to be nothing special.

Buck Bros
https://www.greatnecksaw.com/24921895-hand-tools/24922577-cutting-tools/24922760-planes-shaving-tools/9827-versaplane/buc503533-block-plane-401391-buck-brothers.html (https://www.greatnecksaw.com/24921895-hand-tools/24922577-cutting-tools/24922760-planes-shaving-tools/9827-versaplane/buc503533-block-plane-401391-buck-brothers.html)

GreatNeck
https://www.greatnecksaw.com/6-1-2-block-plane.html

Rob Luter
08-03-2018, 8:21 AM
You've chosen well for your first two planes. You'll be able to do a lot of work with those. A Low Angle Jack was my first good plane. I went with the Veritas version but the LN is a very fine tool indeed.

Jim Koepke
08-03-2018, 9:52 AM

It is a replica of a Stanley's #110. Mine resides in a junk box. For me it doesn't even rise to the level of a 'beater' tool. It beat me at getting it to work with out frustration. Of course mine is a later version designed to be manufactured at the lowest possible cost.

jtk

Greg Parrish
11-27-2018, 8:08 AM
Little update on my collecting of hand tools. Haven’t had a chance to build or buy a proper workbench yet as my big tool focus this year ended up being an upgrade from a Powermatic 6” jointer and dewalt planer to a Hammer 12” jointer/planer. Hoping to get or build a nice bench next year. Have been researching them while I wait.

That said, in the mean time I’ve been collecting hand tools. Missing out on the Veritas 4” smoother deal at midnight Monday, I decided to just order one. So, as it stands, here is what I’ve collected up so far:

Lie Nielsen 60 1/2 block plane
Lie Nielsen 62 low angle jack plane with toothed blade also
Lie Nielsen #4 brass smooth plane
Lie Nielsen small shoulder plane
Lie Nielsen 1/4, 3/8, 3/4 & 1 inch bevel edge chisels
Lie Nielsen honing guide
Lie Nielsen 3000/10,000 sharpen stone
Trend 300/1000 diamond stone
Wood is good 12 oz mallet
Veritas dual marking gauge
Pfeil marking knife
Wood river wheel marking gauge

Aquiring nice hand tools is as bad of a rabbit hole as getting into wood turning or anything else. Doesnt to look like much sitting on the shelf but when listed out I had a very productive year between these items, the Hammer A3-31 and a good bit of wood stock I traded for.

Looking ahead, I’m thinking that maybe a #7 jointing plane makes sense as the next purchase to round out my starting plane collection. That should give me a basic core set to try to tackle some hand tool only projects when I finish my current on-going project. Thanks.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
11-27-2018, 3:16 PM
Little update on my collecting of hand tools. Haven’t had a chance to build or buy a proper workbench yet as my big tool focus this year ended up being an upgrade from a Powermatic 6” jointer and dewalt planer to a Hammer 12” jointer/planer. Hoping to get or build a nice bench next year. Have been researching them while I wait.

That said, in the mean time I’ve been collecting hand tools. Missing out on the Veritas 4” smoother deal at midnight Monday, I decided to just order one. So, as it stands, here is what I’ve collected up so far:

Lie Nielsen honing guide
Pfeil marking knife

Aquiring nice hand tools is as bad of a rabbit hole as getting into wood turning or anything else. Doesnt to look like much sitting on the shelf but when listed out I had a very productive year between these items, the Hammer A3-31 and a good bit of wood stock I traded for.

Looking ahead, I’m thinking that maybe a #7 jointing plane makes sense as the next purchase to round out my starting plane collection. That should give me a basic core set to try to tackle some hand tool only projects when I finish my current on-going project. Thanks.

Why a Veritas #4 smoother when you already have a LN #4?

Cheers, Dom

Greg Parrish
11-27-2018, 6:41 PM
Why a Veritas #4 smoother when you already have a LN #4?

Cheers, Dom

I just ordered the LN #4 when I missed the Veritas one. I realize they are two different items. I wanted the LN originally but thought the Cyber Monday price on the Veritas was too tempting. But when it sold out before I could check out I just said what the heck and ordered the LN instead. :)

steven c newman
11-27-2018, 7:28 PM
Meh.....
I may have most of the bases covered....
Another #7, and a No.8
All users....

Greg Parrish
11-27-2018, 7:46 PM
Nice collection Steven. I’ll get there one day too. :)

Derek Cohen
11-28-2018, 6:14 AM

Lie Nielsen honing guide
Pfeil marking knife

Hi Greg

I had a look at your shop via the link in your original purchase. The move to the A3-31 was a good move .... if it reduced the number of tools in your shop. My unsolicited advice is that you need to find space to work ... assembly space is gold. I do not know how - or where - you do it.

I, too, have a double garage for my shop, however only one side (half) is used for machines and the other side is available for assembly. There is also clear space for a work bench at the one end, and space for all that is needed to access it.

There was a thread a while back on shop layout, and I posted pictures of mine on it. I was hoping that others would weigh in with examples of how they work, but that did not materialise. It is an important issue, which is why I return to it here. I would value you commenting about what you find works and does not work about your shop.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Greg Parrish
11-28-2018, 6:40 AM
Hi Greg

I had a look at your shop via the link in your original purchase. The move to the A3-31 was a good move .... if it reduced the number of tools in your shop. My unsolicited advice is that you need to find space to work ... assembly space is gold. I do not know how - or where - you do it.

I, too, have a double garage for my shop, however only one side (half) is used for machines and the other side is available for assembly. There is also clear space for a work bench at the one end, and space for all that is needed to access it.

There was a thread a while back on shop layout, and I posted pictures of mine on it. I was hoping that others would weigh in with examples of how they work, but that did not materialise. It is an important issue, which is why I return to it here. I would value you commenting about what you find works and does not work about your shop.

Regards from Perth

Derek

thanks Derek. I’m still going through a shop remodel / rearrange. I had a thread going regarding my layout shuffle. I managed to get rid of a ton of stuff and consolidate a ton more. That said, between work and general family life I’ve not finished that process. I have one more phase to the shuffle which involves moving my lathe, band saw and drill press. At that point I’ll need to move some more dust collection pipe and electrical but I’m getting closer.

Regarding work and assembly space it’s honestly not as ideal as a 4 car garage would be. :) but I’m going to have a lot more work space once I’m done with my shuffle. It’s still going to be a tight space compared to others but way more workable I think than what I had before. I’m still working on my work bench plans. Not sure what style and layout I’m going with yet. It may end up having to be against a wall which would prompt a different layout than a free standing bench.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
11-28-2018, 7:37 PM
I just ordered the LN #4 when I missed the Veritas one. I realize they are two different items. I wanted the LN originally but thought the Cyber Monday price on the Veritas was too tempting. But when it sold out before I could check out I just said what the heck and ordered the LN instead. :)

Ah, ok. You'll love the LN #4. I would choose it again over a LV at any price. Not to say the LV wouldn't be a great plane or function just aa well. But the LV just doesn't have the elegance of the LN in my personal opinion.

Cheers, Dom

Tom Bender
12-03-2018, 7:34 AM
A 2" chisel will find a lot of utility tasks

Jim Koepke
12-03-2018, 12:11 PM

A 2" chisel will find a lot of utility tasks

My 2" chisel gets very little work compared to my 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" chisels.

Chisel sizes for a 'core' set of tools really depends on the work one is going to do. A lot of my work is done with 2X construction lumber. That is where chisels of the 1" and larger size come in handy.

For a person starting to put together a 'core' set of hand tools 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" chisels would likely be a more useful place to start.

jtk