PDA

View Full Version : Which 6" Grinder?

tony roth
11-22-2005, 11:06 PM
I need to purchase a basic high speed, 6 inch grinder. i was planing on purchasing the delta, but it received awfull customer reviews on amazon -- many complaints re: vibration and wobble. Has anyone had positive experiences with any of the other 6 inch grinders out there? any that come with decent tool rests or any recommendations on that would also be much appreciated. thx. tony.

Cecil Arnold
11-22-2005, 11:59 PM
The best is Baldor.

Vaughn McMillan
11-23-2005, 3:18 AM
Almost ashamed to admit it, but I've got a $29 no-name special from Costco that's handled all the jobs I've thrown at it. Runs smoothly and seems to have good bearings, based on the loooooong spin-down. Granted, I'm only doing relatively lightweight stuff...grinding down a bolt here, putting square edges on a washer there... but I've used it for lawnmower blades and hoes and such too. Since horizontal space is a bit limited in my garage, it stays in a cabinet, and it's small and light enough to easily move to the bench or counter, and I just clamp it in place when I need it. As little as I use a grinder, it's served my needs well. YMMV. ;)

- Vaughn

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 8:07 AM
Hey Tony,

I have an "el cheapo" B&D I got from the borg. I replaced one of the 10 grit carbarundum wheels with a alum dioxide 60 grit and use it all the time with my lathe tools.

tod evans
11-23-2005, 8:51 AM
cecil, got it. baldor is the best. tod

Sam Chambers
11-23-2005, 9:12 AM
Tony, I have the 6" Delta variable speed, and have no complaints. Well, the tool rests aren't the greatest, so maybe one complaint.

FYI, if you're thinking about using your 6" grinder with a Wolverine jig to sharpen turning tools, don't get the Delta. The Wolverine won't fit.

Scott Loven
11-23-2005, 9:44 AM
I raised my 6" grinder up with a 1" block of wood as Wolverine recomended, and it fits fine for me.
Scott

Scott Coffelt
11-23-2005, 9:56 AM
You know Woodcraft will have their 8" slow speed grinder on sale this next month. I got the lastest flyer and it is just under $70. I really good grinder for the money. Just a thought.

Tim Armstrong
11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
When does one want to use a slow speed vs a high speed grinder? As a follow up, are the two-speed or variable speed grinders suitible for both needs?

Sorry for the newbie question.

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 12:59 PM
I love my Dewalt and simply added a speed control foot pedal that allows me the best of all worlds in speed. The Dewalt has never given me any problem and is a very nice grinder albeit not the least in price.

Kevin French
11-23-2005, 9:14 PM
I've got 2 cheap'os, one with wire wheels the other with cool running stones.
I have an 8" with course stones.

I also have a couple of motors with stones on them and one that has a flexible shaft w/a Jacobs Chuck.

I HATE TO CHANGE STONES/WHEELS

Dick Strauss
11-24-2005, 2:46 AM
Tony,
I found an 8" Wilton grinder at my local Menard's for $50. It works great! It runs so smoothly that the wheels don't stop for several minutes after turning it off. It has a small built in light, no VS, and the rests aren't very large. I've made some improvements by making bigger rests, upgrading the lights, etc. Other than that, it really is a great grinder for the money!

For sharpening turning tools I got a blue Norton fine wheel for about $10 at the local borg that also works great. I run the grinder with the medium and fine wheels for 95% of my grinding.

Paul Canaris
11-24-2005, 4:47 AM
A Baldor will last a lifetime of regular use.