PDA

View Full Version : Help sending a Family Tree to Canada?

Bill Stearns
07-31-2018, 6:47 PM
Hey all -
One of the items I produce are laser engraved “family trees”; have made ‘em for customers all over the U.S. This afternoon, I received an inquiry/order from Canada! - for a 50th Anniversary gift. Been many years ‘n a different business since I sent anything into Canada. Seems I recall having to jump thru lots of hoops! (customs requirements, special forms, duties to be paid, etc.) Any of you UPS into Canada? - could use your advice ‘n experience. - it’ll only be this single item.
Will wait to hear ...

Thanks Bill (BTW: I'm in Northern Minnesota, if that matters._

Joe Pelonio
07-31-2018, 6:54 PM
It’s been a few years but I used to send items regularly to Canada, and used Fedex. Their website has all of the documents that you have to fill out. It wasn’t that much more expensive, but most of my packages were fairly small and light.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/service-guide/labels-documentation.html#fedex-international-air-waybill

Bill George
07-31-2018, 8:28 PM
UPS is a pain in the you know where. As suggested try FedEx, not sure but does DHL do Canada?

Doug Fisher
07-31-2018, 10:25 PM
FWIW, USPS to Canada has gotten better in recent years after they implemented tracking for US packages. Might be worth evaluating again if it has been a while. My clients appreciate not having to pay an additional brokerage fee which makes my products better priced in their eyes. If you are using postage software like Endicia, filling out the integrated customs form is pretty painless.

Scott Marquez
08-01-2018, 2:05 PM
I ship to Canada USPS Priority Mail, it’s kind of a pain in the butt for filling out the forms, although they are on line.
For a one off, you may want to recommend that he find someone local. Because of the extra time you will have to invest.
Just a thought, Scott

Peter Christensen
08-01-2018, 2:39 PM
As a Canadian I always ask for USPS even though it may take a little longer to get, I don't have to pay the exorbitant brokerage fees some of the private companies charge. Most every private shipper send to here, either direct or by handing off to a partner company. If the customer is rural they may not be able to get packages delivered to the door by private courier and would have to drive to the nearest city the outlet/depot/warehouse is located to get it. First class mail is cheapest for us followed by priority. Postal has never lost a package sent to me by mail so I don't care about tracking and always expect a 2 to 3 week delivery even for priority. If I think there is a chance I'll get burned by the shipper I won't order. I never ask for express but accept it if the item is too big for first class mail.

Your USPS website or app has a rate calculator with the different options you can put to the customer. They can decide which they want.
https://www.usps.com

Mike Null
08-02-2018, 8:38 AM
UPS World Ship is a very easy, efficient process but only if you're shipping frequently to Canada.

Bill Stearns
08-02-2018, 1:30 PM
Bill again ... thanks for the input folks! I checked at our local post office; appears there's only one short form for me to fill out and they'll take it from there. - I told her it was a wood plaque I'd be sending.

Bill