PDA

View Full Version : A Gaz Guzzler in your Living Room??

Rich Konopka
11-22-2005, 9:42 PM
I saw this online and thought it was an interesting read with some interesting statistics.

http://news.com.com/2102-1041_3-5965771.html?tag=st.util.print (http://news.com.com/2102-1041_3-5965771.html?tag=st.util.print)

I guess It explains why my electric bill is up there with a couple TV's, a Tivo, 3 laptops, 2 PC's, 2 CD players and god knows how many chargers and etc....

David Fried
11-22-2005, 9:50 PM
Interesting. I think of LCDs as low power devices, I didn't realize what happens when they get large.

I know my electric bill goes up when the kids are home from school for a week and spent 18 hours a day on the computer and playing video games with every light in the house on!

I remember reading how all those wall-warts consume power. I walked around my house and was amazed how many we have! I collected them into a couple of spots and plugged them into power strips so I could turn them off.

Dave Fried

Ian Abraham
11-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Yup... when I turn everything off at night and switch off the room lights the place is still lit up mission control :o
Internet routers, network switches, battery chargers, TV and stereo, a couple of monitors and PCs in 'off' mode. None use a lot of power, but each one is a little 'leak' of electriciity through the meter. You can still see the meter running when everything is supposedly off.

Ian

Lee DeRaud
11-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Heh. I had just noticed from my bill that my electrical usage was up quite a bit from the same period a year ago. "How can this be? Was I out of town on vacation last year? No, that was earlier...this time last year...I was at work!" D'oh!!

Vaughn McMillan
11-23-2005, 3:46 AM
Our house is a guzzler. My living room TV is seldom turned on, but the TiVo in that room (one of two in the house) is always humming along. Most of my TV watching is on one of the three CRTs on the desk in my "office". That room glows like Mission Control, even with stuff turned off, and if I turn everything on (including my music gear), I don't need the overhead lights. At least the CRT monitors power down after an hour if I'm not using them. Then there are the other two TVs elsewhere in the house that are on quite a bit daily. (We're pretty frugal with lights and using the electric ovens, though.) Since we've only been in this house for a year, and prior to that I was living single in a smaller house, I don't have much to compare it to as far as electricity costs go.

Lee, I'm guessing the higher electricity bills are a burden you're willing to bear. ;)

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
11-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Lee, I'm guessing the higher electricity bills are a burden you're willing to bear. ;)Gee, ya think?!?:rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
11-23-2005, 1:27 PM
Now, now...we need friendlier words here..... ;)

Bart Leetch
11-23-2005, 3:50 PM
Now, now...we need friendlier words here..... ;)

Hey Mr BMtroubleyou is back. :eek: Hi Chris welcome back:D