PDA

View Full Version : Murphy door

lawrence dosson
07-31-2018, 8:51 AM
Any one here have experience building a Murphy door or better yet many of them ?
I would like to find a good article with the hinge details
I have found some info on the web of different styles has anyone done or seen enough of them to have a preference and or built one that really works well and looks great
Thanks Lawrence

Bill Dufour
07-31-2018, 10:37 AM
I know what. Murphy bed is never heard of a Murphy door. Are they made by the same company. I assume they moved out of San Francisco decades ago.
Bill D.

Jamie Buxton
07-31-2018, 10:57 AM
Don't use conventional door hinges -- ones that hang the door on the door jamb. A heavy bookcase will distort the wall framing, which was not built to handle the load. Instead, use pivot hinges. They carry the weight of the door directly down to the floor.

Rixson is the big dog in heavy duty pivot hinges. They're so big, you see other hinges described as "Rixson-style" -- for instance https://www.hardwaresource.com/center-hung-pivot-set-500-lbs.html . Look around that web site for other pivot hinges.

lawrence dosson
07-31-2018, 1:31 PM
Bill
I do not know if is the same co but I was in the same boat I knew what a Murphy bed was never heard of a Murphy door but it is simular because it is a hidden a door way to a hidden room instead of a hidden bed
No idea if it is the same co it could be but i asume someone has just stole the name (like jello or jeep)
Jamie
Thanks I'll look
I have resurched some hinges but I can not find the installation details
This is for a great neighbor so I need it to be perfect or I will not do it
the better purchased door kits are over two grand so i have a little wiggle room on hinges i found them for 150 range up to 800 but I do not know if high end ones are worth the extra that is why I'm asking here

Peter Christensen
07-31-2018, 2:07 PM
Lee Valley have some.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=72655&cat=3,41305,55408

Scott Buehler
07-31-2018, 4:49 PM
I actually work at Murphy Door, here in Ogden, Utah. All the info on the hinges are in the website. Are there questions you have that are not in there?

Scott Buehler
07-31-2018, 4:51 PM
And yes, Murphy Door and Murphy bed are not related at all