PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a fiber

Trey Tull
07-29-2018, 10:58 PM
I’ve been in contact with Ray fine and ready to pull the trigger on a 30w MOPA. When I asked about payment methods, I was asked to pay through alibaba. Is this normal to purchase from them?

Thanks
Trey

Bill George
07-30-2018, 7:44 AM
I’ve been in contact with Ray fine and ready to pull the trigger on a 30w MOPA. When I asked about payment methods, I was asked to pay through alibaba. Is this normal to purchase from them?

Thanks
Trey

I paid with a wire transfer.

John Lifer
07-30-2018, 2:10 PM
I paid for both mine thru wire transfer also, but I DO know they've been advertising on Alibaba lately and at least some have paid that way. I don't think there is any issue here, in fact it would be $60 cheaper for me as that is what my bank charges for wire transfer.

Trey Tull
07-30-2018, 3:16 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Kim McIntosh
07-30-2018, 5:47 PM
Alibaba have a trade assurance program as well. I used it when I bought my GWeike machine.

Trey Tull
07-31-2018, 1:38 PM
For those of you that have been through this process, what all is necessary (paperwork) to get the laser into the country? I remember seeing a thread on it somewhere but can't find it.

Thanks
Trey

Julian Ashcroft
08-01-2018, 6:23 AM
When I got my fiber laser (from Sign In China) they delivered via TNT, it arrived in about a week and a few days later I got an invoice from TNT to cover the Duty & VAT charges (this was in the UK).

John Lifer
08-01-2018, 11:34 AM
You should get DHL in US. They will contact you via email, you pay them for their shipping charges/duty thru online system. You need to fill out the FDA form 2877 ( all imported lasers need this) You need Ray Fine's Ascension number. They sent me a page that had all their fibers on it. The number at that time was 1520552-000. Most probably still in force, that was Jan 2015 info I used a year and half ago. That form is sent to DHL and they file it. Then you wait a day or two more to have delivered. Fibers are fairly quick as they are airfreighted in.

Mike Mace
09-09-2018, 1:46 AM
New Member here, I too am looking at the 30W Mopa from Ray fine. Which model did you purchase from them? I know that if you did it has only been a short while, but any feedback if you have already received it?

Have been reading countless threads on here trying to absorb as much information as possible. Thanks to all your regular posters, greatly appreciated.

Trey Tull
09-10-2018, 9:13 AM
New Member here, I too am looking at the 30W Mopa from Ray fine. Which model did you purchase from them? I know that if you did it has only been a short while, but any feedback if you have already received it?

Have been reading countless threads on here trying to absorb as much information as possible. Thanks to all your regular posters, greatly appreciated.

I ended up going with a 30w MOPA. It is currently sitting in Memphis b/c FedEx needs some forms from me. Hopefully it won't take too long to get here.

Trey Tull
09-14-2018, 8:25 AM
Update: My fiber has cleared customs and was scheduled to be delivered yesterday but b/c of Hurricane Flo the laser is still sitting in Memphis. Hopefully next week.

Mike Mace
09-14-2018, 10:30 AM
I just ordered my 30w ray fine yesterday. Hoping, it goes smoothly. Any advice on why yours got held up?

Trey Tull
09-14-2018, 2:46 PM
I just ordered my 30w ray fine yesterday. Hoping, it goes smoothly. Any advice on why yours got held up?

The major holdup was the JPT-YDFLP-30-M6+-L1 laser source. It took some time to get in. I also have the first fiber that Rayfine has put the Mark While Engraving board in. They didn't have a good understanding on how to make it work, so they ran some tests and made me some videos of how to adjust it.

It spent a week sitting in China waiting on a flight to the US and then spent a few days in customs. Now the hurricane has it backed up.

Trey Tull
09-18-2018, 8:20 AM
Update... FedEx still has the fiber in their possession. I have called and let them have it twice, so I'm sure its going to be beat to he!! when it finally arrives. For any of you that order a machine from over seas, don't let them ship it via Fedex. They are terrible.

Bill George
09-18-2018, 9:24 AM
If it came FedEx freight how far away is the terminal? Go get it if its not far.

Trey Tull
09-18-2018, 9:34 AM
If it came FedEx freight how far away is the terminal? Go get it if its not far.

Ohhh....Bill... I would LOVE to go get it. Terminal at CLT airport is 20mins from the house. Lady at fedex said I can't b/c its still in a sealed container that hasn't been unpacked yet. I lost it on the phone with her at that point.

On a side note and this might be a dumb question but can I run my CO2 and fiber off of the same laptop? Or is the same sort of deal as with two CO2 machines in that you need 2 pc's?

Gary Hair
09-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Ohhh....Bill... I would LOVE to go get it. Terminal at CLT airport is 20mins from the house. Lady at fedex said I can't b/c its still in a sealed container that hasn't been unpacked yet. I lost it on the phone with her at that point.

On a side note and this might be a dumb question but can I run my CO2 and fiber off of the same laptop? Or is the same sort of deal as with two CO2 machines in that you need 2 pc's?

There should be no problem running both machines off one computer as long as it has enough memory and cpu power anyway. The only problem may be if the software for your particular machines don't get along well. The only real issue with two lasers on one computer are, for example, if you have two Trotecs and they both run on JobControl, there is no way to tell JC which machine you are sending the job to. Likely the same with two fibers that use the same software. Both of my fibers are stand-alone systems with the computer inside the base of the laser.

Trey Tull
09-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Both of my fibers are stand-alone systems with the computer inside the base of the laser. I was wondering if there was a computer inside the tower. I guess we'll see if FedEx every delivers it. If there isn't, I'll try and run it off of my laptop.

John Lifer
09-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Very few of the lasers have a computer sent with it now. My PC runs my two. A CO2 running RDworks, and Fiber running Ezcad.
I use Corel for all of the CO2 design, and for most of the fiber's stuff except for simple text. (BTW, be aware ezcad won't weld script font and will overlap) unless I've missed it.
I run jobs simultaneously on both, sending rld files to CO2 laser and dxf to the fiber.
Good luck getting it! I will say DHL surprised me with their prompt delivery

Kev Williams
09-18-2018, 12:20 PM
FWIW, just in my garage I run my fiber, the big Triumph, the Explorer (USB), my big IS7000 (LPT port) and my 3400 cylinder engraver (serial port) all from a Dell Optiplex 760...

In my basement I have 8 machines connected to 3 computers, 2 of which are old XP's that do nothing but act as 'printer servers', just something to connect the machines to. The 3rd is my go-to Dell Precision, and all jobs to all machines originate from this computer. I can also send jobs to all the garage machines from this computer if I want. And running machines seems to do nothing to computer resources. Running all the programs, yes :)

So as long as your laptop has enough USB ports for dongles & machines you should be good to go!

Bill George
09-18-2018, 1:03 PM
Someone at FedEx is lying to you. It can not clear US Customs still sealed in the shipping container. I would take all your documents with you along with your ID and go see whats going on. DHL was fine for me.

Trey Tull
09-18-2018, 8:44 PM
So I FINALLY got it today. One of my lenses didn't make it into the box or through customs, not sure which. I have emails RayFine to figure out which.

I noticed that the laser key has to be on for EZCad to work fully. With the key off, EZCad cannot find the dongle and will only work in demo mode. Is that normal?

Kev Williams
09-18-2018, 10:00 PM
Yes normal. No dongle, program works, laser doesn't

Trey Tull
09-18-2018, 10:39 PM
Next I aligned the two laser pointer dots and then tried to engrave TEXT onto some anodized aluminum. It just made a dot and nothing else. Is there a "Fiber Laser + EzCad for dummies' starter guide? hahah

Thanks guys!

EDIT: turns out there is an adapter that needs to be added to the 200x200 lens. It was on the 70x70 and I didn't realize it. So now I'm back to just missing one lens.