PDA

View Full Version : Q for log home, owners, builders

Randy Rizzo
07-29-2018, 8:56 PM
We’ve got a pine log home, built 2004. Prior to construction logs were treated with Penetreat. Cob blasted. Stain was Sikkens Cetol 1, followed by 2 coats Cetol 23. Until last year we’ve had zero problems with wood boring insects. Now we have numerous holes, see pics. We’ve had a pest control outfit spray with a solution of Cypermethin. For the most part that has done the trick. However, there appears to be some new holes by really determined little buggers. The question, anything more effective, like 100%. I have consulted with an entomologist at MSU. He believes these are Potters Wasps. Suggested Ortho Home Defense Max. Not really sure where these guys are coming from. We live in a heavily forested area, lots of deadfall.

Yonak Hawkins
07-29-2018, 11:27 PM
I suggest going to the Extension Service for your area for recommendations.

Randy Rizzo
07-30-2018, 10:08 AM
I suggest going to the Extension Service for your area for recommendations.

Extension Service?

Yonak Hawkins
07-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Randy, try this : http://msue.anr.msu.edu/county

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Usually a university in conjunction with a county will have an extension office that will answer questions regarding pests, landscaping, gardening, farm crops etc. I just checked the MSU has an office in the Iron County courthouse.

Randy Rizzo
07-30-2018, 6:59 PM
Usually a university in conjunction with a county will have an extension office that will answer questions regarding pests, landscaping, gardening, farm crops etc. I just checked the MSU has an office in the Iron County courthouse.

Thanks, Ken, and Yonak as well. I’ll motor on over there tomorrow.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-30-2018, 7:50 PM
I built a log home with my family many years ago when I was living in the states. We had tons of wasps and woodboring bees. It was a constant battle. If you are spraying on your own, get the Spectracid in the black bottle at Home Depot, but wear the best respirator you can get, because it is nasty stuff.