PDA

View Full Version : T - Square Recommendations

Dimitrios Fradelakis
07-29-2018, 8:22 PM
I know that Woodpeckers makes a really sweet 32" T-square but the price is too rich for me at the moment. Can anyone suggest a good T-square that won't break the bank?

Thank You

Mike Cutler
07-29-2018, 9:25 PM
Dimitrious
Believe it to not, Staedler makes some very nice plastic, and aluminum, drafting tee's. They're usually sold at office supply stores and art supply stores.
They won't be near as rugged, as the Woodpecker's, but for layout work they're good.
I have a Brian Lamb square. Beautiful piece of machining. It's more than you want to invest at the moment, but something to keep in mind for the future.

Nick Decker
07-29-2018, 9:35 PM
I've been using this one for several years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TVUO6K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not Woodpeckers, but well made and accurate.

Jim Becker
07-30-2018, 9:00 AM
I actually bought the Woodpeckers product, but caught it on sale at a show which knocked a few shekels off the cost. It will last a lifetime, I'm sure. (And was available in metric which I've come to prefer)

Robert Engel
07-30-2018, 9:15 AM
I fixed a drywall square once by drilling out 3 of the 4 rivets, re-calibrating, and then drilling 3 other new holes.

May not be the best looking, but it works!

Just don't drop it (how do I know that.....;-)

Paul McGaha
07-30-2018, 9:53 AM
I know that Woodpeckers makes a really sweet 32" T-square but the price is too rich for me at the moment. Can anyone suggest a good T-square that won't break the bank?

Thank You

Tell you the truth Dimitrios, I'd stick with the Woodpecker Square. I have one and it is really nice. Buy once, cry once kind of thing.

Everything I've bought from Woodpeckers I've been happy with.

PHM

Ted Phillips
07-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Starrett actually makes a "non ruggedized" aluminum T-ssquare that is very nice. It is quite a bit cheaper than the Woodpecker (~$30) and both would be dead-on accurate. Having said that - I laid down the money for the Woodpecker.

Van Huskey
07-30-2018, 10:57 AM
I have the Starrett T squares which are probably what the other posters are referring to. I have the 24" and 36" and they make a 48". I got both for $35 during one of Zoro's regular 20% off sales. I think their regular price is $20 for the 24" and $22 or $23 for the 36". Mine were both very square but obviously, it is something you would want to verify when received on a cheaper square like that. I have another 24" in my Zoro cart and next time I make an order during their a sale I am going to get the 24" and cut it off to somewhere around 16". I would like to have a shorter one and for $16 I don't mind cutting it.

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/T-24

Dave Cav
07-30-2018, 11:06 PM
I got the Woodpeckers a few years ago, on sale I think (I hope...) I hated paying for it but I love it every time I use it.

But yeah, a good drafting T-square should work fine.

Frederick Skelly
07-31-2018, 8:42 PM
Believe it to not, Staedler makes some very nice plastic, and aluminum, drafting tee's. They're usually sold at office supply stores and art supply stores.

That's exactly what I have, and just what I was going to say!
Fred