PDA

View Full Version : Speed question

Bob Noles
11-22-2005, 7:47 PM
Well, Im back with another dumb question, but if I don't ask I'll never know :o

What is the top speed I need in a mini lathe? I know the jet has 6 speeds up to 3975 rpms, but would a 5 speed lathe max 3200 rpm be adequate? Just curious, at which speed range most turning is done.

Still learning and appreciate your patience.

Bill Esposito
11-22-2005, 8:08 PM
Actually the slower the better, buy the lathe with the slowest speed.

Bob Noles
11-22-2005, 8:30 PM
Thanks Bill..... I know that was a basic question, but I did not have the answer..... at least until now :)

John Hart
11-22-2005, 9:08 PM
I think the fastest I go is about 1300 with pens...but I'm even starting to slow that down a bit.

Randy Meijer
11-22-2005, 9:37 PM
Actually the slower the better, buy the lathe with the slowest speed.

I think there will be a few people who take issue with the above advice. That being said, 3200 RPMs should be fine for pens.

Andy Hoyt
11-22-2005, 9:52 PM
I haven't got the slightest idea what speeds I turn at. But I do turn at various speeds, and refer to them in my head as: Crawl, Walk, Run, and Warp Factor 2 - along with minute adjustments in between.

Sounds like a smart aleck joke but it's true. Very quickly (even for a new turner) one will develop an "an ear and a feel" to the speed that is required for the task at hand.

This is my opinion only; but I feel that having variable speed control capabilty without the need to adjust or move belts is far more important than having a machine that turns the fastest or slowest. Why? Because for me, a successful turning session includes getting my rythym and I really don't want to lose that sensation by having to fuss with belts. But that's me.

Carole Valentine
11-22-2005, 9:58 PM
Bob,
It depends on what you are turning. The smaller the item the faster speed I use. For pens I throw it on the highest speed pullies on my Jet Mini. For small balanced spindle turning, I am not of the "slower is better" school. Having said that, when you move to larger blanks and out of balance stuff, it's a whole 'nuther ball game!:eek: A bigger concern with the Mini lathes sometimes is not having a speed lower than 500.

Bill Stevener
11-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi Bob,
I am very confident you will get some excellent information from the gang, as to the speeds one will turn at during the operation of the lathe.
On my end, at times I would have to say, it all depends on who is pumping the treadle.:D
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Just had to ps. this some. I agree with Andy's post, Additionally, I wouldn't think one would ever need 3900+ RPM. My more modern lathe maxes out at 3500 rpm, used---no, ran it twice at that speed. Once when I went to look at it at the dealers and once when I brought it home and showed a neighbor. 25-2800 rpm is kicking some b^%*.

Bill Esposito
11-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Bob,
It depends on what you are turning. The smaller the item the faster speed I use. For pens I throw it on the highest speed pullies on my Jet Mini. For small balanced spindle turning, I am not of the "slower is better" school. Having said that, when you move to larger blanks and out of balance stuff, it's a whole 'nuther ball game!:eek: A bigger concern with the Mini lathes sometimes is not having a speed lower than 500.
Carole,

That was my point and that same concern is true for the less expensive larger lathes. Usually, anything you can turn fast you can also turn slow (albeit your skill level might be more pronounced) but the same is not true in reverse.

Take that Proforme tool I mentioned in another thread, I used it at 150 rpm up through about 300 rpm. I found the faster I went the more often the tool would clog. It never clogged at 150. And then there's that whole 30lb out of balance blank thing ....:rolleyes:

I also agree with Andy's comment on variable speed. Once you have it you'll never want to live without it.

Jim Bell
11-23-2005, 2:12 AM
I turn pens at 4400 rpm which is the fastest my pen lathe will go. On larger items with balance issues I might go as slow as 200-300 rpm on my larger lathe.
Jim

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 7:36 AM
Hi Bob,

I, like Andy, pick my turning speed by ear, feel and my level of courage (with big and out of balance things). For smooth, solid and well balanced pieces, faster can be better. Faster allows you to take very light cuts in very soft woods. But, if you are turning one of John Hart's "Holy Grails" :) that is just a bug excreta from falling apart on their own, or one of Caroles "flying juggs" ;) then slow is the way to go. But, don't worry about speed. All decent minis have a low enough bottom end and high enough top that you can get what you want done.

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 9:02 AM
Thanks for all the great replies. The reason I was asking is for lathe comparison when I ultimately make a purchase choice. I believe I have it down to either a Jet mini or the Penn State Turn Crafter Pro. Both machies have high marks and the price is in the range I feel comfortable with. The only difference appears to be top end speed and I was not sure how important that was. I still have much homework to do before that decision though.

Dennis Peacock
11-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Speed on the lathe? Sure!!!!

The bigger the chunk you start with? The slower the starting speed. Besides that, you can't go any faster that the out of balance wood blank will allow before your lathe starts dancing around the shop.

I've heard that speed is your friend and I tried it. I've found my turnings to be better, smoother and generally more enjoyable. I've turned about 600 pens in my time and all of them were at the fastest speed that my Jet 1236 would spin them, or about 3,000RPM. Bowl blanks, once turned round, I'll spin the bowls at about 1600 to 2000 RPM for finish turning.

So, go fast.....try it....you'll find that depending on each turning? The speeds will vary.

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks Dennis..... Either lathe I go with will produce 3000 rpm's so I should still be okay. I just wanted to be sure 3200 was enough vs 3975.

Bill Grumbine
11-23-2005, 3:43 PM
Hi Bob

I turn at fast, really fast, and not so fast. When it comes to setting the speed for a particular piece of wood, I turn the thing up until the lathe starts to shake and then slow it down until it settles down. I turn pens and other small spindles as fast as they can go, which amounts to something like 3700 rpm or so on my Vicmarc mini. As Carole says, the smaller the diameter, the faster you can turn it, and generally it is easier to get a smooth cut. Bill is also right though, that anything can be turned at a slower speed.

Good luck with your lathe decision.

Bill

Chris Barton
11-23-2005, 5:12 PM
"When Bill Grumbine talks, wood turners listen..."

Bob Noles
11-23-2005, 6:59 PM
"When Bill Grumbine talks, wood turners listen..."

And let me tell you.... I AM listening and carefully at that :o

Thanks to Bill G for stepping in and giving a newbie some valued advice.