PDA

View Full Version : Closure Snap for Sliding Box Top

Bill Adamsen
07-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Built a wooden box for storing a pastry accessory - metal ring molds for making Kouign Amann - a Brittany pastry of the Finistère region. Finished pastries are 40% dough, 30% sugar and 30% butter ... how could it not be delicious? The pastry is typically made using ring molds, which this box was designed and built to hold.

The box was built of native New England White oak which I happened to have lying around from a boat project (rudder cheeks) the pieces selected show quarter-sawn rays. Corners sport box joints which align with the grooves that accept the sliding top. If you look closely you might be able to see the plugs cut to hide where the grooves pass through the end fingers. It will be finished with several light coats of a tung oil, one done, a few more to go.

I didn't plan especially well (started and finished yesterday morning) and didn't really think out the need for a "snap closure" or something else that would keep the top closed. What do you box builders typically do?

glenn bradley
07-29-2018, 11:25 AM
I use small rare earth magnets for this sort of thing. Drill small stopped-holes on opposing faces that line up when the lid is in the closed position, glue in magnets. They hold quite well. Here's a larger example that holds a swing door on a small wall cabinet shut with no visible fasteners.

Here's one on the bottom of a small drawer that lines up with its mate inside the carcass to keep the drawer closed.

390566 . 390565

Bill Adamsen
07-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Small rare-earth magnets are great and I use them often for doors. In this case I thought about them, but the surfaces are small and thin. Are you familiar with any sources of fittings? Actually as I write this I think I can simply add a small block where the drawer closes and put the magnet in that. Something similar to what I'd do for a door actually. The other thing would be to use that "block" to hold a traditional bullet catch.

glenn bradley
07-29-2018, 11:51 AM
I have some 1/8" diameter x 1/8" long magnets for tiny spots. I even set them into the sides of pencils to stick them around the shop. Another idea is a spring tab that would simply use friction to hold the top in place. Similar to a spring in a bench dog. A small layer of epoxy along each side of the top piece just before it enters the slot would also make a friction "catch". I'm just tossin' stuff out there ;-)

Bill Adamsen
07-29-2018, 12:18 PM
I've been making wooden versions of these LV "panel magnet cups" for years. Unfortunately I have the magnets in the shop but not the holders ... keep the ideas coming. I figure the sliding top needs to come out, so the fitting needs to be flush with the inside of the top. Could have made the grip rail one finger deeper and that would have made it stronger as well as the opening deeper (design defect).

Brian Holcombe
07-29-2018, 12:35 PM
I'd probably use a ball detent under the edge of the lid, especially if it is not usually removed. The offer a nice click into place but are generally not difficult to overcome when opening the box.

Jim Becker
07-29-2018, 12:46 PM
I'd probably use a ball detent under the edge of the lid, especially if it is not usually removed. The offer a nice click into place but are generally not difficult to overcome when opening the box.

I like this idea...unobtrusive, does the job, simple and just enough holding power.

Bill Adamsen
07-29-2018, 1:19 PM

If I had been smart I'd have made the "handle" one finger deeper ... then the detent could have been placed in the box just below the handle. The wear would have been invisible inside the top. Now I'd have to put the detent in the top and most (Rockler, Brusso, Rejuvenation) seem to be too deep. I could put the detent in the box, but it would scratch the wood full-length of the top on open/close. To mount on the closing end I'd have to build a small receiver ... that's probably the best solution. Next time I'll do a better job of planning. I could also make that change now ... but I built the box as a gift for a friend of my wife and the LOML would likely kill me.

Lee Schierer
07-29-2018, 2:29 PM
Put a 1/8" x 1/8" rare earth magnet in the handle end of your sliding lid. One in the cross bar of the lid and one in the wall of the box. Home Depot carries a good selection of rare earth magnets.

Bill Adamsen
07-29-2018, 3:13 PM
Thanks Lee ... I hadn't used those before but they should work great ... and there is plenty of room both places. That is exactly what I'll do. Design defect has disappeared!!!

Edwin Santos
07-29-2018, 5:47 PM
Very impressed that you or someone in your house knows how to make Kouign Amann. It's a real delicacy not heard of very often outside of France. I would guess the greatest challenge would be finding butter of a quality deserved by Kouign Amann. If you didn't already know this, sometimes Trader Joe's carries an imported French butter from Brittany that would be a good domestic (US) choice.

Regarding the clasp methods, I can't add the good suggestions you've received.
Edwin

Bill Adamsen
07-30-2018, 3:41 PM
Good to know about French butter at Trader Joes. I bake croissants on occasion and that recipe too requires with good butter. In fact, butter makes the deciding difference. I can get Norwegian and Irish at my local grocer and they are both good. So far the only way to get French has been to fly over to Brittany. But usually my wife volunteers for that trip.

I picked up some rare earth magnets (8mm) which fit tightly in a some fractional eq. (5/16th"?) scratched the bottoms and put in with epoxy. Works great.

Thanks all for your recommendations!