PDA

View Full Version : Nice Shavings...

Derek Arita
07-28-2018, 3:08 PM
Just cracked open a #5 1/2 WoodRiver plane that's been sitting cuz I'm all about the power tools. I saw a use for it in a coming project, so I thought I'd better sharpen it up and get it ready. Gotta say, I love these WR planes. I had some LN planes, but ended up selling them cuz I paid so much for them, that I rarely used them. I guess that's the collector in me. Anyways, the WR planes seem to work just as well, for so much less $. I know I'm no hand tool guy, so I'm sure there are some fine differences between the two. No affiliations.
Here's a pick of some test shavings on a hunk of pine...

Frederick Skelly
07-28-2018, 7:05 PM
I have two myself - #1 and #3 - and they work just fine. I do find the #3 to be heavier than my vintage #3. So I don't use the WR as much any more. But there's nothing wrong with 'em.
Fred

Jim Koepke
07-28-2018, 10:18 PM
Anyways, the WR planes seem to work just as well, for so much less $.

My old Stanley/Baileys work just as well and even less buck$.

jtk

Derek Arita
07-29-2018, 8:57 AM
Like I said, I'm not a hand tool guy and have always found it difficult to get my restored planes to match the LN planes. Also, I do like the added weight.

George Wall
07-29-2018, 9:45 PM
The WR 5 1/2 was the first "premium" plane I purchased. Great deal and works really well. Not much difference in cost from used these days once you pay shipping and materials and time needed to bring a used "auction site" plane up to par. What matters most, of course, is that it works for you in your shop.