PDA

View Full Version : This was a trip!

Carole Valentine
11-22-2005, 5:39 PM
I could not resist trying the bias turned winged jars in the article by Tom Crabb in the Fall issue of Woodturning Design. Tom Crabb I am not, but at least I got it off the lathe in one piece!:D This one is maple, haven't measured but probably about 5" high. I may or may not ever do another one of these things again!:eek:

Chris Barton
11-22-2005, 5:52 PM
Carole,

That looks great! I just looked over Toms article and was thinking that would be an interesting project to try. You did it real justice!

Andy Hoyt
11-22-2005, 5:57 PM
Yup. That is way cool.

I'd read the article; put the concept on my list of stuff to try; and everytime I look at the list I keep skipping it because I'm chicken.

Well ---- if Carole can do it; I can at least try. Gimme a couple days of pre-breathing and I'll be back.

Carole Valentine
11-22-2005, 6:08 PM
Well ---- if Carole can do it; I can at least try. Gimme a couple days of pre-breathing and I'll be back.

LOL! Someone in another forum commented that "Carole will try anything!" That's usually true, but only after I have "pre-breathed" for a while!

John Hart
11-23-2005, 7:56 AM
What the...???? Hey...how you do dat? I didn't read the article Carole...Yer gonna hafta 'splain it to me. That is totally cool!!!:) :)

Michael Stafford
11-23-2005, 9:28 AM
Wonderfully creative piece, Carole? As John said, "How you do dat?" Need a short tutorial for the periodically challenged among us....:p :D

Carole Valentine
11-23-2005, 10:15 AM
You really need to read the article before you try this. I am sure back issues of Woodturning Design are available. Here is a VERY brief synopsis of how it is done. Sharp tools and proper safety gear (face and eye protection) are essential.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-23-2005, 8:58 PM
Don't mean to be a smartallic, but you call it a JAR. Does the top come off?

Even if it doesn't, It's awesome.

Bruce

Dick Parr
11-24-2005, 7:34 AM
Carole that is wonderful.:) So I take it you do like your DVR:D Great Job.

Bob Noles
11-24-2005, 8:32 AM
Carole....

Now that is far too complex for me to ever imagine doing and shows just how steep the learning curve is going to be :)

Extremely nice job!

Carole Valentine
11-24-2005, 9:46 AM
Bruce, yes the top is a nice little "pop" fit.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-24-2005, 3:07 PM
Ain't it WONDERFUL when a plan comes together? As I said before..........and adding "Truely" .......................awesome!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
11-26-2005, 8:33 AM
Awsome Carole, but I think I'd look at the whole article before trying one.:confused:

Ernie

Mark Cothren
11-27-2005, 3:13 PM
Carole, that is wild! I bet it was fun!

Thanks for the pics!